• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Potential Winter Threat - December 6-11

34 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

Have you seen the latest models that just came out......trying not to get my hopes up to much but it is looking pretty interesting.  I feel that we may get something just because this has been popping up as hints for at least a week.  I hope that the models are not having problems with the input and giving us just fantasy storms.

Dec 9_10 2018.png

Yea, that's some serious icing there in a wedge. It certainly bears watching. Something is coming though... 🙂 Thanks for sharing that!

• Like 1

I saw the pivotal maps on the possible ice as well and it definitely looks bad for a lot of us. 

• Like 2

This event would be the 8-9th... how coincidental.  Same period as last year. 😉Stay tuned!!!! Getting interesting!

Let's look at the specifics. Again... NOT A FORECAST, we're just analyzing this particular model run. It appears that a strong wedge is bringing very  cold air south underneath a lot of overrunning moisture. The model shows a mixture of winter precip, but the worrisome part is how much freezing rain it shows. 

First, temperatures at the surface and up to 5000 feet are below freezing in most areas, here are the surface and 850 mb temps

30-gfs_t2m_b_atl_37.thumb.png.45079e4f34cc043f608221b063cd3a75.png

850 MB Temps (in C)

30-gfs_t850_atl_37.thumb.png.ac5e5dbf03d72441464a6fceaafe2bff.png

Freezing Rain Amounts

30-gfs_frz_rain_atl_37.thumb.png.a2163fd247fdd467d69c70eb7efa77c5.png

P-Type

30-gfs_ptype_slp_atl_37.thumb.png.4f3417c970e6f38024358fe494e5973f.png

Breakdown of precip types

30-gfs_ptype_accum_atl_41.thumb.png.5ec220c8b20769657e9717db8f9af5e7.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I am not going to even show you the snow maps... It would be criminal. 🙂 You know... like more than a foot. . Oh wait... that happened last year as well. 😛 A lot of the snow on those maps would fall as something other than snow. Still.....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Northeast Georgia seems to be on the good side this time around. Lol better late than never. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

I am not going to even show you the snow maps... It would be criminal. 🙂 You know... like more than a foot. . Oh wait... that happened last year as well. 😛 A lot of the snow on those maps would fall as something other than snow. Still.....

I mean you could totally message me those Fun maps... I’d rather snow than ice any day!

• Like 3

Just now, Athens said:

Northeast Georgia seems to be on the good side this time around. Lol better late than never. 

Agree with that. It's exciting to see a low storm track so early in the season. As the season goes on, those tracks "should" get closer to where we need them to be. 

• Like 2

What the heck... NOT A FORECAST This is just eye candy... NOT A FORECAST

Again, this does not take into account the temperatures from the surface to the upper levels where snow would form. Entertainment purposes only!!! THIS WILL CHANGE!!!

30-GFS 50-STATES USA Georgia Snowfall 228.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

What the heck... NOT A FORECAST This is just eye candy... NOT A FORECAST

Again, this does not take into account the temperatures from the surface to the upper levels where snow would form. Entertainment purposes only!!!

30-GFS 50-STATES USA Georgia Snowfall 228.png

Now THAT is my kinda map Steve! A girl can dream right?

• Like 5

Just now, LHarkins913 said:

Just need that a breadth further south and I’d be happy... give Paulding county a big one again!

MY turn this year!!! 😜

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LHarkins913 said:

Now THAT is my kinda map Steve! A girl can dream right?

If we're going to dream let's dream big!! ❄☃️

• Like 3

I'm feeling good about this one! This time last year, I woke up at 5 am and drove over to Suches from Dahlonega before work. I found 2" of fresh snow at the higher elevations, while listening to the local radio station tell us we may not more than a dusting, boy were they wrong. 

47181783_515967715584033_391751289987399680_n.jpg

Edited by rwarren5
  • Like 2

We will be over the mountain in Murphy . This looks like it could be fun! 

• Like 1