• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Potential Winter Threat - December 6-11

I don’t think we will see anything in Dahlonega.  I don’t believe we will have ANY frozen precipitation.  I have my doubts that anybody n Georgia sees anything...even extreme NEGA.  Would you agree with my opinion?  Like you said, look at the perfect track of the low, oh that’s hard to see!!  DARN

• Like 1

So do you think it’s over for us too here in Towns County? We did get put under a Winter Storm Watch, but I think that was probably just for the possible ice storm. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chase said:

So do you think it’s over for us too here in Towns County? We did get put under a Winter Storm Watch, but I think that was probably just for the possible ice storm. 

No, you'll see something. Send pictures! 🙂

• Like 1

You can tell there are still definitely some uncertainties in the NE GA mountains particularly Rabun County. Anywhere from nothing to 20 inches in Sky Valley leaves a lot up in the air to say the least. So you’re telling me there is a chance still for 18”? 😂

798C11EB-23D4-4AF1-AFCC-71A24A5330F8.png

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Preston said:

You can tell there are still definitely some uncertainties in the NE GA mountains particularly Rabun County. Anywhere from nothing to 20 inches in Sky Valley leaves a lot up in the air to say the least. So you’re telling me there is a chance still for 18”? 😂

798C11EB-23D4-4AF1-AFCC-71A24A5330F8.png

Wait a minute now... that's MY 18! :classic_ninja:

Being outside this morning....It just looks and feels like it is going to snow...just sayin

• Like 2

Just now, Ham360 said:

Being outside this morning....It just looks and feels like it is going to snow...just sayin

I've been thinking the same thing for the last several days. The way the clouds look, the cold, the darkness. Blizzard time! ❄️Of course I may have to go to DQ and get my blizzard there, but hey! I win either way! :classic_laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

I've been thinking the same thing for the last several days. The way the clouds look, the cold, the darkness. Blizzard time! ❄️Of course I may have to go to DQ and get my blizzard there, but hey! I win either way! :classic_laugh:

I thought the same thing as well when the sun came up this morning and who knows maybe things will change in our favor...I've always been an optimist!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dyan said:

I thought the same thing as well when the sun came up this morning and who knows maybe things will change in our favor...I've always been an optimist!

It is NOT out of the question. I told someone earlier that I would rather tell people that it probably wouldn't happen and it doesn't, than tell people it will and it doesn't. Part of the reason I said what I said earlier, is that it is a low confidence type of forecast now. It's hard to say what might happen and where, and I don't want to get anyone's hopes up for something that may or may not occur. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

The rain this morning could have some sleet mixing in early, but it will be very spotty. If you see some, let me know!

Light rain driving to Gainesville from Dahlonega and again on 985, but no winter precip yet. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I got pelted with sleet walking to the school from the car but might have been heavy rain drops......I too think it feels like snow but not sure we will get any. It smelled like it this morning on the way to the car!

• Like 1

So for up here in Rabun, from lunch time yesterday all the way to now the 6z runs this morning I’ve sit and watched the ensemble mean snowfall on bothe the GEFS and EPS go up significantly across the county. So how likely is it that at least a decent portion of this event is all or at least mostly snow? Of note this morning also, the WPC said that they think warm air advection is being overdone in modeling because the weaker system in suppressive environment flow should be primarily east to west.

3 hours ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

There's your Winter Storm Watch

Snap34548-06.thumb.jpg.78cda69ff9e52d1db67094c4f769f796.jpg

OF COURSE IT WOULD BE THE COUNTIES NEXT TO ME! LOL Still a good sign. 

6 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

So for up here in Rabun, from lunch time yesterday all the way to now the 6z runs this morning I’ve sit and watched the ensemble mean snowfall on bothe the GEFS and EPS go up significantly across the county. So how likely is it that at least a decent portion of this event is all or at least mostly snow? Of note this morning also, the WPC said that they think warm air advection is being overdone in modeling because the weaker system in suppressive environment flow should be primarily east to west.

Of course I should say it is more the GEFS that has had the big increases since 12 yesterday. The EPS and ECMWF has been more consistent since yesterday, but still some small jogs south on the EPS. And the OP run has changed even more, per this tweet from Allan.

Are we still looking good for clarkesville?? Snow or ice event? Either way I will be prepared!!

You are so right about Gwinnett County being so close where I live 32 or 33 degrees for the low this weekend!

• Like 1