• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Potential Winter Threat - December 6-11

Athens native here. Even though we're not really relevant as far as this storm goes, I've been thinking. Can anyone remember the last time Athens got any significant snow? By significant I mean like 2 inches or more, enough to make a snowman in. It just feels like it's been years.

3 minutes ago, Rioderreiser said:

Athens native here. Even though we're not really relevant as far as this storm goes, I've been thinking. Can anyone remember the last time Athens got any significant snow? By significant I mean like 2 inches or more, enough to make a snowman in. It just feels like it's been years.

It's definitely been a while. I was living in Athens at this time last year and that storm that gave north Atlanta suburbs over a foot of snow while Athens saw a bitter cold rain was a heart breaker. 

2 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

It's definitely been a while. I was living in Athens at this time last year and that storm that gave north Atlanta suburbs over a foot of snow while Athens saw a bitter cold rain was a heart breaker. 

I know, that was a tough one to stomach definitely. I feel like the last time it really snowed was in 2011. Maybe 2014? I'm not sure, but we're overdue!

12 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Yeah. didn't get anything in Winder either.

I know everyone on here is crazy busy trying to get an idea of what’s coming our way- so forgive me for being a newbie to the weather world. Can someone give me an explanation of “wetbulb”? I’m from Athens and it seems multiple times in the past when winter weather was expected, we lose all hope as soon as the event begins to unfold and often times the term “wetbulb” is attached to the bad news. Is there a specific number or equation to figure out what and when this “wetbulb” comes into play? I’m counting on nothing more than a cold rain here for this event- but the inner child is secretly going to be watching all weekend for a glimmer of hope of something other than rain! Thanks for all you do! 

5 minutes ago, JDub said:

I know everyone on here is crazy busy trying to get an idea of what’s coming our way- so forgive me for being a newbie to the weather world. Can someone give me an explanation of “wetbulb”? I’m from Athens and it seems multiple times in the past when winter weather was expected, we lose all hope as soon as the event begins to unfold and often times the term “wetbulb” is attached to the bad news. Is there a specific number or equation to figure out what and when this “wetbulb” comes into play? I’m counting on nothing more than a cold rain here for this event- but the inner child is secretly going to be watching all weekend for a glimmer of hope of something other than rain! Thanks for all you do! 

This helped me understand:

https://www.snowathome.com/snowmaking_science.php

Edited by ScottB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

The Winter Storm Watch is going to be expanded west and will include the NE metro counties.

Yep my phone just beeped at me about it I'm in athens, do you think that means better chance of the freezing rain here

Edited by GroceryStoreMan

3 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

The Winter Storm Watch is going to be expanded west and will include the NE metro counties.

Interesting 

1 hour ago, JDub said:

The wet bulb temperature is the lowest temp that can be reached through evaporative cooling. It my house right now, my temp is 42.4, the dew point is 40.3 and the wet bulb is 41.6. So if rain started falling in the air, it has the potential to cool the air down to that web bulb temperature. It's very important when you have marginal temperatures. The evaporative cooling can drop temps to freezing or below... so for some of us... it will make a big difference. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snap34567-07.thumb.jpg.eb15bb10e83caf4db83436b666dca176.jpg

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA
743 PM EST FRI DEC 7 2018

GAZ006-007-013-014-022>025-027-034>038-047-081200-
/O.EXA.KFFC.WS.A.0001.181209T0600Z-181210T0600Z/
FANNIN-GILMER-PICKENS-DAWSON-FORSYTH-HALL-BANKS-JACKSON-MADISON-
GWINNETT-BARROW-CLARKE-OCONEE-OGLETHORPE-WALTON-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF BLUE RIDGE, COHUTTA WILDERNESS, COLWELL, 
DIAL, EPWORTH, HEMP, HIGDON, BLACK GAP SHELTER, CARTECAY, 
CHERRY LOG, EAST ELLIJAY, ELLIJAY, MARION, MOUNTAINTOWN, BLAINE, 
HINTON, JASPER, LAKE TAMARACK, MARBLEHILL, NELSON, SEQUOYAH LAKE,
AMICALOLA FALLS STATE PARK, DAWSONVILLE, DOUGHERTY, FAUSETT LAKE,
JUNO, LEN FOOTE HIKE INN, LUMPKIN, BROOKWOOD, CHESTATEE, 
COAL MOUNTAIN, CUMMING, DREW, DUCKTOWN, HIGHTOWER, GAINESVILLE, 
ALTO, BANKS CROSSING, FIVE POINTS, HOLLINGSWORTH, HOMER, 
PINEFIELD CROSSROADS, APPLE VALLEY, ARCADE, BEAR CREEK RESERVOIR,
BRASELTON, CENTER, COMMERCE, HOSCHTON, CARLTON, COLBERT, COMER, 
DANIELSVILLE, DIAMOND HILL, HARRISON, HULL, LAWRENCEVILLE, 
AUBURN, BETHLEHEM, CARL, CHATEAU ELAN, COUNTY LINE, 
FORT YARGO STATE PARK, RUSSELL, ATHENS, BARNETT SHOALS, BISHOP, 
BOGART, EASTVILLE, FARMINGTON, NORTH HIGH SHOALS, ROSE HILL, 
ARNOLDSVILLE, CRAWFORD, DUNLAP, HUTCHINGS, LEXINGTON, MAXEYS, 
PHILOMATH, BETWEEN, BOLD SPRINGS, CAMPTON, EBENEZER, GOOD HOPE, 
GRATIS, AND HERNDONVILLE
743 PM EST FRI DEC 7 2018

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH LATE 
SUNDAY NIGHT...

* WHAT...POSSIBLE FREEZING RAIN UP TO 1/4 INCH IN A ZONE EAST AND
  NORTH OF A LINE FROM CUMMING TO NORCROSS TO MONROE TO LEXINGTON,
  MAINLY NORTH OF THE I-20 CORRIDOR. HIGHER AMOUNTS IN THIS AREA
  CANNOT BE RULED OUT AS WELL. A MIX OF SNOW, SLEET AND FREEZING
  RAIN FOR THE NORTHEAST MOUNTAINS MAINLY NORTH AND EAST OF A LINE
  FROM ELLIJAY TO JASPER TO DAWSONVILLE. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS
  OF 1 TO 2 INCHES, WITH UP TO 5 INCHES POSSIBLE ON THE HIGHEST
  RIDGES AND POSSIBLE ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO 1/4 INCH. WIND
  GUSTS OF 35 TO 40 MPH ARE EXPECTED AS WELL ACROSS THE WATCH AREA.

* WHERE...PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST GEORGIA.

* WHEN...SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS EXPECTED AS
  SNOW AND ICE ACCUMULATE, ESPECIALLY OVER BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES.
  INCREASING WINDS SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY WOULD BRING DOWN ICE COATED
  TREES AND POWERLINES.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

It includes Walton now.  😊

• Like 1

I appreciate the caution the NWS is taking. Reality is that the newly added areas could see icing or none! 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

That ought to get the Bread and Milk Brigade fired up...  :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Tanith said:

That ought to get the Bread and Milk Brigade fired up...  :classic_laugh:

Yeh I'm sure my store among others are going to be getting busy this weekend, but what is with bread and milk when it snows in Georgia?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MollieGarmon said:

What does Saturday night mean? Like could it start 6pm, 8pm or midnight? I'm in Hoschton.

I'd be finished with what I need to do by 6pm or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ive been watching all of the different models and looking at everyones predictions, but what do you think about the Franklin County area?  I know we get covered by GSP but they seem to leave us out until the last minute.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bachman0813 said:

Ive been watching all of the different models and looking at everyones predictions, but what do you think about the Franklin County area?  I know we get covered by GSP but they seem to leave us out until the last minute.

Mostly freezing rain

StormTotalIceFcst-07.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MollieGarmon said:

What does Saturday night mean? Like could it start 6pm, 8pm or midnight? I'm in Hoschton.

I’d assume whenever they upgrade the watch to either WSW, WWA, or Ice Storm products that those will have more definite timing included.

• Like 1