• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Potential Winter Threat - December 6-11

42 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

The HRRR is continuously initializing 3-4 degrees warmer than the actual temperature. Could that have an impact later on?

What kind of impact?  

Just now, traildawg said:

What kind of impact?  

Assuming the upper levels are warming, it would probably mean more freezing rain.  

• Thanks 1

We have two power trucks positioned in our neighborhood right now. I assume it’s in preparation of what could happen if the ice is significant in Flowery Branch. 

0269106C-C9B3-4FC7-B235-48E0A75A2AD5.jpeg

According to Joe D'Aleo,  the record snowfall for Asheville NC is 18.2" during the 1993 Storm of The Century. 

This storm may exceed that. 

On top of that, 3 of the top 26 snowfalls there occurred during the Modoki El Nino of 2009/10.

I was sooo hoping to at least see some pretty white stuff even if it didnt stick. Looking more and more like all we will see is freezing rain for Hall County. Bummer haha...I always hope for a miracle no matter how good or bad the odds are. I love snow.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

HRRR is bringing the ice. This is 4 am

HRRR 3-km undefined undefined 17-08.png

No good. Hopefully I won’t need the generator. 

Asheville Meteorologists(WLOS) are saying they may not get a foot of snow there at Asheville.  He is saying closer to 9 inches.   Also Matthew Holiday is saying we will get a dusting to two inches here in NW Georgia

Edited by RickyD

2 minutes ago, cjmj1008 said:

I was sooo hoping to at least see some pretty white stuff even if it didnt stick. Looking more and more like all we will see is freezing rain for Hall County. Bummer haha...I always hope for a miracle no matter how good or bad the odds are. I love snow.

I'm with you, I would MUCH rather have snow. And with all of this wasted moisture...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RickyD said:

Asheville Meteorologists(WLOS) are saying they may not get a foot of snow there at Asheville.  He is saying closer to 9 inches.   Also Matthew Holiday is saying we will get a dusting to two inches here in NW Georgia

As many opinions as there are possibilities. Everyone should be prepared for the worst and expect the best. Whatever "best" is for you. 🙂

Kirk Mellish (someone I've usually found to be trustworthy) seems very unsure of the current predictions. He's being sure to stress the line could move. Might just be caution but it makes me wonder...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheSimpleMan said:

Kirk Mellish (someone I've usually found to be trustworthy) seems very unsure of the current predictions. He's being sure to stress the line could move. Might just be caution but it makes me wonder...

I just finished reading his blog and thought the same thing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Down to 33.1 in the last 15 minute and piling up fast. Daytime forecast of less than a half inch is busting big.

Where are you located?

7 minutes ago, SlicNic13 said:

Where are you located?

Just southwest of Clayton not far from the highway. Down to 32.7 now. At this rate we’ll be below freezing in the next hour.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Down to 33.1 in the last 15 minute and piling up fast. Daytime forecast of less than a half inch is busting big.

Send some of that cold air across the mountain to Towns County. Steady rain at 37°, and temp is falling but very slowly. 

My husband is about to emerge out of the Grayson Kroger.. I'll give you all a live report when he gets out. 

Current observational report: its packed. 

But I usually shop at 8am when there are 12 people in the store (2 customers +staff) 

(Legit, I forgot to buy his special lactose free milk on my normal shopping trip.) 

Edit: whole milk is still there. Unless you're looking for lactose free milk you'll be fine. Bread is wiped, water is also wiped!

Edited by KellieFernander
Bread and milk report
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Dahlonegawinter said:

Wow great update by FFC 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Haha they basically said good luck we don’t know what to say 

• Haha 3