• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Potential Winter Threat - December 6-11

1 minute ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Went outside for the first time and a lot of what I thought was rain earlier was sleet. We may have nearly an inch of sleet on top of the partially melted snow from earlier today. Still mixing Snow and sleet now, hoping as the heaviest returns move in in the coming hours it will flip all snow for a few hours at least. 

Awesome!  Which mountain you on top of?

• Like 1

I could be wrong but this precip shield looks like it will end earlier than suggested by models. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shannon said:

I could be wrong but this precip shield looks like it will end earlier than suggested by models. 

Looking at the HRRR simulated radar, it is completely different than the WRF simulated radar.  I am not sure which one to believe.  I will say that there is convection in the Gulf that is causing a dry slot in SW Alabama and a big dry slot that has been modeled the entire time back in MS.  

That said the WRF rotates the moisture through on the back side of the system and leaves the moisture hanging around which leads to the disco from the NWS about snow showers on Monday / Tuesday.  The HRRR just evaporates that ball of moisture and clears everything out by Noon tomorrow.  

4 minutes ago, DDD_GON_WEATHER said:

Looking at the HRRR simulated radar, it is completely different than the WRF simulated radar.  I am not sure which one to believe.  I will say that there is convection in the Gulf that is causing a dry slot in SW Alabama and a big dry slot that has been modeled the entire time back in MS.  

That said the WRF rotates the moisture through on the back side of the system and leaves the moisture hanging around which leads to the disco from the NWS about snow showers on Monday / Tuesday.  The HRRR just evaporates that ball of moisture and clears everything out by Noon tomorrow.  

Yeah I don’t know it’s tough. Wind is howling in Buford as well

10 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

He's up in Clayton

Crazy thing is- the app on my phone (weather channel storm radar thing) shows 99.9% rain up there... 

Its almost like you cant trust anyone right now 😭

MAN!  Wind is really howling now.  Thought I had a tree hit the house and it was the hammock slamming into the back of the house.  I should have already took that thing down.  Forgot about it.

• Haha 2

They must be getting some good snow or sleet in Clayton, the road temps just dropped again. You can see the drop around 3p where it was snowing this afternoon. 

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 10.01.14 PM.png

Edited by rwarren5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Zero wind up here which is surprising the heck out of hearing from all of you and people over in SC. 

Yeah it is absolutely howling down here in northern Gwinnett 

• Like 1

Howling wind and torrential downpour in Holly Springs. Keep seeing people in Woodstock as close as the River Park neighborhood who’ve lost power already. Cherokee county power grid is top notch /sarcasm 

COME ON! I have zero wind, all rain and stuck at 38° for the past 4 hours. Blue Ridge, Fannin county. I'm starting to believe my only chance at snow is tomorrow night on the wrap around. 

P.S. I'm from Michigan. I just want a little of back home lol

Edited by SlicNic13
  • Like 1

BIG expansion in the last 30 minutes of radar picking up frozen precipitation in NE GA using RadarScope precipitation depiction tool. For last few hours, it was only picking up snow/sleet around Andrews NC

Screenshot_20181208-223640.png

• Like 1