• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Potential Winter Threat - December 6-11

32 in Hiawassee with very heavy snow and wind. It’s only been snowing for about 15 minutes and the ground is white already. 

• Like 7

Just kidding. Gust now in Fannin 15-20. No wind to wind in 40 minutes or so. Elevation roughly 2,000 feet. FINNALY a few flakes mixed in with heavy rain.

• Like 1

Dog observations: 

Teacup Chihuahua stray: will no longer approach the door. 

Terrier/Chihuahua: walks to the front step, says a cuss word, and ran back to her cage. 

Aussie/German/collie mix took a leisurely stroll, did his business and took time to examine the puddles of water. 

I've got two (pine) branches down out front and its 38'

Something sounded like it blew across the side of my house... can't figure out what it was though 😕

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, KellieFernander said:

Dog observations: 

Teacup Chihuahua stray: will no longer approach the door. 

Terrier/Chihuahua: walks to the front step, says a cuss word, and ran back to her cage. 

Aussie/German/collie mix took a leisurely stroll, did his business and took time to examine the puddles of water. 

I've got two (pine) branches down out front and its 38'

Something sounded like it blew across the side of my house... can't figure out what it was though 😕

Funny! Will you be here the rest of the evening? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TheSimpleMan said:

Any new thoughts/models on Pickens county? I'm driving back up there from South Georgia tomorrow, wondering how much trouble I'll be in.

Hard to say.  Closest report I have seen from that area was Dahlonega and they have sleet and snow flying.

• Like 1

I just wish it was still light outside so I didnt have to keep peeking out the window or opening the door and freezing haha I'm checking every 5 minutes 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, DDD_GON_WEATHER said:

Hard to say.  Closest report I have seen from that area was Dahlonega and they have sleet and snow flying.

I'm out of the loop. Are we anticipating day time wintery precip tomorrow or is that still up in the air?

Just now, TheSimpleMan said:

I'm out of the loop. Are we anticipating day time wintery precip tomorrow or is that still up in the air?

Depends on which simulated radar you want to believe.  Right now the HRRR has most of the moisture gone by 7AM.  

WRF has it gone around 4PM tomorrow.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Temp down below 32 now and in the lull between heavy bands it has turned to freezing rain and sleet with snow mixed in. Power is out now, transformer blew nearby.

Lord. You got a generator?

17 minutes ago, ScottB said:

Funny! Will you be here the rest of the evening? 

Depends on how late my husband snores or if/when I serve him the eviction notice to the guest bed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Temp dropped from 38 to 35 here in SE Dahlonega (Lumpkin County, near Dawson County border. Still lots of rain and wind. 

• Like 1

3.2” at the midnight hour in Sky Valley. Currently 29 with heavy snow/blowing snow. Elevation: 3,400’

• Like 4

Heavy sleet mix right now in northern Carroll county. 

Edited by Andrew

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

Heavy sleet mix right now in northern Carroll county. 

You serious, Clark?

1 minute ago, dposton said:

You serious, Clark?

lol, I’m exhausted but am sure I’m not hallucinating. Car thermometer read 33 as I was pulling into the garage and the wipers were struggling with the sleet on the windshield.

• Like 3

In Commerce near Jax/Mad line, temps ahead of schedule. 35 with 33 dewpt. Knocking on the door. COME ON!!!

• Like 1

Warm nose aloft may be pushing in now as mix line is surging north. Hopefully the low will move on to the east and flip the upper level winds to the north in a while and change us back.