• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Potential Winter Threat - December 6-11

Just now, Foots said:

Well this was fun. When's the next ride start?

Some may beg to differ but I agree! :classic_biggrin:

I already know the 15th will be too warm, my best guess at this point is going to be just in time for Christmas. At that point, according to all the signs, we head deep into winter. That's when the REAL fun begins. :classic_biggrin:❄️

• Like 6

1 hour ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Good morning to everyone! Sorry I couldn't stay up for all the fun last night! So here it is at 3:27 am and and the wind is blowing and the icy cold rain is falling and I'm at 34.3ºF That's the coldest I've been all night. No chance of freezing squat at 34 degrees. 

Well... it wasn't the first event I was looking for, but at least some of you had some winter weather. 

Looking just across the border, I see these reports.

Snap34586-09.jpg

Murphy got nothing! Said above freezing all night, although some sleet. So when is the next one? 

Here's the bottom line. Lot's of factors go into a winter weather event, but without adequate cold air support, you don't get winter weather. The high pressure to the north faded as the time got closer, and that was modeled pretty well. On the 3rd page of this 38 page discussion on Nov 30th, I posted this:

Snap34594-09.thumb.jpg.bd3b95b73f01d9529527c223cdf00888.jpg

Well after the warm nose punched north last night we ended as a long period of heavy sleet, freezing rain, and rain. So in the end we ended up with 3-4 inches of a crunchy sleet filled snow, in a highly localized event it seems with large differences in accumulations over very short distances. Tons of trees down throughout the county. NWS calling for between .5 - 1 inch of snow tonight so we’ll see how that goes, or if they’ll even keep it in the forecast in the afternoon package. 

Edited by KingOfTheMountains
  • Like 1

I have been watching Cantore, and he says they have the dry powdery snow at Boone and no wind at all.  Right at 14 inches

Probably also of note that this storm will officially put us over 100 inches of rainfall this year, with another 1.51 inches of liquid since midnight and the frozen still on the ground.6E2E8E25-9A9E-4EFA-8707-34097DE96194.thumb.jpeg.9b140edffef7ea1f9ccb07b1d65aa618.jpeg

• Like 2

This will be my final post in this thread before I lock it. If you have any updates, just put them in this thread:

It was a great run, but all roller coaster rides must come to an end. 🙂 I'll leave it with this video... 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

This will be my final post in this thread before I lock it. If you have any updates, just put them in this thread:

It was a great run, but all roller coaster rides must come to an end. 🙂 I'll leave it with this video... 🙂

Thank you Steve!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jsweatheri said:

Thank you for keeping us updated throughout the storm. 

Thank you to you for helping to keep me updated! When it gets busy it's hard to watch and respond to everything that is going on. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1