• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Wednesday, October 2

Good Wednesday morning! 

Here's a look at the morning weather map. Cold out west and hot down south. Sounds like a broken record doesn't it?  The heat ridge that is currently over the southeast will start move away, and once that happens, it takes the heat with it. 

Snap346062702.thumb.jpg.ef775df424140a2f50df89eeb3a42d38.jpg

NWS Atlanta quote:

Strong surface high pressure moves to the east coast over the weekend,
allowing for an increase of moisture and an increase of mainly
smaller rain chances across the area. This will also start the
pattern shift as an upper level trough approaches the area through
Tuesday allowing a cold front to move across the area Monday/Monday
night with increased rain chances associated and the potential for
much needed rain favoring n GA.

Let's start it off with some tweets from my favorite cranky weather guy...

If he is the cranky weather guy, I'm the grumpy weather guy and I have a cup to prove it. 🙂 

20191002_045023.thumb.jpg.b859cba5e9adf3ba5a478d3c00fb2776.jpg

So the heat is leaving. I would really love to see a big wall of water pass through before the cooler air gets here, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers.  There is a chance for some rain, but in the WPC morning extended forecast discussion, they talked about how they expect the heavier rain to fall over the Tennessee Valley region, and the precip forecast for the next 7 days bears that out. Notice the large amount of rain in the Gulf of Mexico. We will need to watch this area closely, as there is some potential for development next week. We can only hope that might mean rain for us, so fingers crossed.

wpc-se-total_precip_inch-0622400.thumb.png.6fa7a74ce9d418f38191a626bd40c25b.png

So it's now pick on Athens day. Here are the GFS ensemble temps for your area.

gfs-KAHN-daily_tmin_tmax-9974400.thumb.png.2e69c55623005c9138525a47592ace15.png

It's so nice to see 70's for highs for a change. I think I'm going to go lay in the brown grass. 🙂 

So changes are finally coming bringing relief from the heat that we needed at least a month ago, and if you can make it to Saturday... you are home free. But... before we get to the promised land, these are the potential record highs that might get set today through Friday. This is today. 92 potential record highs, and 4 record low max's. 

ndfd_record_high_conus_1.thumb.png.da580de65e6831ec67cb62a69f747ed9.png

While we're looking at temperatures, these are the 24 hour max temps according to the GFS.

gfs-deterministic-se-t2m_f_max_last24-1569974400-1570060800-1571356800-40.thumb.gif.87c77080c9b2e329f36ae136e7e2a374.gif

So enjoy the heat while you can IF that is possible! 🙂 In a few days all of that heat will quickly start to fade from your memory. 🙂

Have a great Wednesday!

forecast-02.jpg.57d1c9d707934f2b3482ed0b56e70c36.jpg

• Like 1

A birdnote sounding here and there,
A bloom, where leaves are brown and sober,
Warm noons, and nights with frosty air,
And loaded wagons say, October.
–Thomas Stephens Collier (1842–93)

Changes in the temps in the ENSO regions have added an interesting twist for winter, but will it hold?

Just that change makes a difference in the winter forecast. Modoki and weak El Nino west years are colder snowier Great Lakes into the east.

That includes us. 🙂 We'll see.