• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Wednesday, October 9

Good morning!

Not much to talk about today, just some uneventful weather in store for the next 3-4 days. We'll see a weak wedge poking down the east side of the mountains today, and because of that, we'll stay in the comfortable range for temperatures. There maybe a chance for some showers and thunderstorms around Friday/Saturday, but nothing serious and certainly not anything that will change the drought conditions.

But once the front passes, you can expect to see this.

Cooler temperatures will build into the forecast area as
northwesterly flow sets up behind the front
. While high temperatures
will remain a few degrees above normal, low temperatures could
approach or even drop below normal in portions of north Georgia,
where low temperatures in the 40's are possible for the first time
this season on Sunday and Monday mornings
. The surface front is
expected to become stationary across southern Georgia by Sunday and
Monday amid zonal flow aloft. Several shortwaves embedded within the
zonal flow may lead to some increasing rainfall chances by Tuesday
and into the middle of next week.

Notice zonal flow. Still. Nothing to amp up the pattern just yet. It's going to be interesting to see what the remnants of Hagibis will do to help shake things up.

This morning we are under the influence of a weak wedge that is bringing the clouds and cool temperatures to the area. The normal areas that see the effects of the wedges (wedgies? 🙂 ) will see the most clouds and cooler temps. Snap346062747.thumb.jpg.87879f1d794c232229d5ccc909df9227.jpg

These are dewpoints and you can see the drier air up in NC that is being forced south. 

Snap346062748.thumb.jpg.826cfbb904d05229e7dd87e572aa45f0.jpg

And a closer look at the temperatures and surface winds. 

Snap346062749.thumb.jpg.4e17642b71e9d11521eaa39d293a13ab.jpg

Not seeing any real help in the precipitation department at least until the weekend, and even then it won't be much.

The latest GFS solution continues to bring the cold front across the area during
the daytime Saturday, while the latest ECMWF remains a bit slower
and favors the frontal passage on Saturday night. Instability
associated with this system is expected to be marginal -- sufficient
to support isolated to scattered thunderstorms ahead of the front,
but not enough to warrant concern for widespread severe weather.

Guidance remains in good agreement that moisture ahead of the front
will be limited
, and rainfall totals from this system are not
anticipated to make much of a dent in the increasingly significant
drought.

Winter begins in 74 days. 🙂 

I won't have a morning post tomorrow, instead I'll be at the Georgia border and halfway to Sarasota. 🙂 We'll leave around 2 am and get there around 10 am. My weather there will be mid 80's and low 70's for the highs/lows, and I WILL go to the beach one of the days that we're down there. I'll send you a postcard. 🙂 If there is anything important to talk about, I'll cover it later in the day tomorrow. 

Almost forgot the two sunrise pictures from the Smokies today. Looks like fall to me. 🙂

Look Rock webcam

109266974_grsm(1).jpg.eefd9a4fe4b368970199c86c7c00c14c.jpg

Purchase Knob webcam

916323233_grpk(2).jpg.5c5908baadc5ef39740336f7c3a9a5cd.jpg

Have a great Wednesday!

forecast-09.jpg.43fd10306534586da6d8df13ad721856.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Be careful Steve  Prayers sent---

And for those who might be interested, i am including a webcam address to Terry Peak, at Lead, S Dakota.  When we went on Vacation there 2 years back we drove up that way just to say we went to the highest point there in S Dakota.  The Black Hills are beautiful.  We were there in June and stayed in Lead and used it as our base.....  They are expecting 12-18 inches of snow beginning late this afternoon on into Thursday....

https://terrypeak.com/the-mountain/live-web-cams/

Edited by RickyD
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RickyD said:

Be careful Steve  Prayers sent---

And for those who might be interested, i am including a webcam address to Terry Peak, at Lead, S Dakota.  When we went on Vacation there 2 years back we drove up that way just to say we went to the highest point there in S Dakota.  The Black Hills are beautiful.  We were there in June and stayed in Lead and used it as our base.....  They are expecting 12-18 inches of snow beginning late this afternoon on into Thursday....

https://terrypeak.com/the-mountain/live-web-cams/

Thanks Ricky! And thanks for that link. I have a big collection of webcams from around the country, it's always good to have more! 🙂