• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Wednesday, November 6

Good morning! 🙂 

Another pleasant day in Georgia land today as we languish under sunny skies and comfortable temperatures, but all of that will come to an end tomorrow when clouds and showers return to the area. 

We are in a zonal flow meaning everything is moving pretty quickly from west to east. Since there are no big amplitude ridges or troughs right now, everything is relatively "flat"... follow the isobars. 🙂

Snap346062962.thumb.png.c36a79ecae794bcef0604b7068a6ae1c.png

That will be changing Friday. Watch this loop from the Euro that depicts the 500 mb height anomalies.  Several lobes of colder air will rotate around the big upper level low that's spinning around eastern Canada, one of Friday, and one around Tuesday/Wednesday and even a third one Friday. 

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-1572998400-1572998400-1573862400-20.thumb.gif.8b5f0fec67bbf2e73c2be914edfb17bb.gif

So, what does that mean for temperatures? For the most part, we will stay below normal for the next several weeks. First, here's a look at the potential temperature anomalies that go along with the image above and both are from today through a week Friday. 

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-t2m_f_anom-1572998400-1572998400-1573862400-40.thumb.gif.4aa7b0af58a307dd4fdba1c36d847569.gif

The latest Euro Weekly run shows this for November temperature anomalies. 

ecmwf-weeklies-avg-conus-t2m_f_anom_30day-5417600.thumb.png.b7595b59a9605b55de2df33d6272ff34.png

There will be moisture around and combine that with cold air and you get what? I am NOT saying it is going to snow, that would be cruel. 🙂 But there is some miniscule potential for a few flakes over the next 30 days. Nothing to get excited about, don't go get out the sled. 🙂  

NOT A FORECAST

ecmwf-weeklies-avg-conus-snow_32day-5590400.thumb.png.614ef521bf7493f218e56a145563a417.png

We're starting to enter the fun time of the year, and the weather season I love the most.  🙂 ❄️🌡️⛷️🎅🤶 I'm just a big kid at heart. So enjoy the sunshine and warm weather today, we're going to be seeing frequent changes as we move further into November. Have a great day!

45 Days until Winter - OR - 24 Days until Meteorological Winter - Take your pick. 🙂 

forecast-06.png.5c66e493e0fee1ffca53de5b9386fbee.png

• Like 4

I am seeing the Weather Channel App today giving a chance of rain/snow mix for Calhoun and snow showers for Next Tuesday  time frame with low in the mid upper 20's...  Definitely seeing a change--  You know the kids in snow belts are getting excited as the snow machine will be cranking up....

Edited by RickyD
  • Like 1

Man what I wouldn't give for a nice strong CAD high in front of that system on the GFS. The low track is pretty dang perfect for the mountains, but it's all too positive tilt and no CAD to work with. 

• Like 2

All I can say is I hope we keep getting delivered looks like this come January and February, cause this is a lot closer to being something than some of the "threats" that disappeared on us all the time last year. The trough is sharpening up too late to be anything other than backside flurries this time but we would have killed for a low track like this last year when everything cut west of the Apps. 

• Like 1

It was cold last November and the first week of December then it flipped to Blowtorch the rest of the winter season! I am going to enjoy the chilly weather ahead, but not getting my hopes up yet! The core of the cold continues to drop into the Center of the country! Just saying!

6 minutes ago, Rusty said:

It was cold last November and the first week of December then it flipped to Blowtorch the rest of the winter season! I am going to enjoy the chilly weather ahead, but not getting my hopes up yet! The core of the cold continues to drop into the Center of the country! Just saying!

From what I've seen people saying December is almost certainly going to be warm again but I hope it'll come back around afterwards. Frankly, at least here in the mountains, I'm only concerned with seeing how the storm track sets up this winter. It doesn't take super anomalous cold to get snow, in fact I'd rather not have it because then suppresion usually wins. I just hope to see a storm track that doesn't cut so far west this year and track some surface lows down along the gulf. If we can get that then we're bound to time one out with some nice bridging highs regardless of consistent below normal temps or not. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

From what I've seen people saying December is almost certainly going to be warm again but I hope it'll come back around afterwards. Frankly, at least here in the mountains, I'm only concerned with seeing how the storm track sets up this winter. It doesn't take super anomalous cold to get snow, in fact I'd rather not have it because then suppresion usually wins. I just hope to see a storm track that doesn't cut so far west this year and track some surface lows down along the gulf. If we can get that then we're bound to time one out with some nice bridging highs regardless of consistent below normal temps or not. 

I agree. Too cold means dry usually. Get me on the edge and I'm a happy camper!