• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Wednesday, November 20

Good morning!

Once again, nothing in the immediate future to talk about right now. Our next system will be arriving late Friday and will be bringing some rain to the area. Here are the thoughts from the Atlanta NWS office.

Changes will be underway at the beginning of the long-term forecast
period as high pressure will begin to give way to the next incoming
system. Surface high pressure will shift off the Atlantic coast on
Friday as a cold front initially makes southward progress into the
Tennessee Valley. This will serve to increase cloud cover and shower
chances initially across far north Georgia through the day
Friday. Temperatures Friday will again be several degrees above
normal in advance of the front despite increasing clouds.

By late Friday, an upper low tracking through the Central Plains
will initiate the development of a surface low along the cold
front in the Arklatex region. The surface low will track
northeastward toward the Ohio Valley Friday night into Saturday,
pushing the cold front eastward across the forecast area.
Widespread shower activity will thus overspread the area through
the day Saturday. With continued limited forecast instability, the
threat for any thunderstorm activity continues to appear
negligible. Rain will gradually clear from west to east from
Saturday evening into Sunday morning behind the cold front. The
healthiest rainfall totals will be generally north of I-20 where
amounts at and above one inch are most likely with isolated
amounts over 1.5" possible in the mountains.

Sunday will bring clearing skies and noticeably cooler temperatures,
ranging 3-8 degrees below normal. Dry high pressure and seasonal
temperatures will hold into Monday.
Models begin to diverge more
significantly by Tuesday regarding the handling of the next system.
At this time, will continue to gradually increase PoPs beginning
Tuesday.

Here's a look at the WPC rainfall forecast through next Wednesday.

wpc-conus-qpf-atlanta-total_precip_inch-4856000.thumb.png.0f6b0f0bfc03b1f53f808df63e6b27b2.png

Here's a look at the weather across the country this morning. A deep trough near the west coast is bringing some heavy rain and flash flooding to the southwest while another trough is exiting the northeast.

Snap346063070.thumb.png.e78372d9aaaefcbbda4b9e15b3766ef5.png

Here's a closer look at the ULL over California that is kicking off the rain that is creating some flooding right now (green outlines). 

Snap346063071.thumb.png.bb4e16274913fc184203f78cc249e97c.png

All of the cold air is bottled up over Canada and the Arctic at the moment.

Snap346063073.thumb.png.996de7e7d0c78e110e74aa6cd0c19c96.png

I know a few people have been asking about the Thanksgiving weather, but right now the models are not doing too well in figuring that out. It does look like there could be some rain in the forecast, but right now we just aren't sure. We'll give the models a fews days to come to grips with the pattern and then we'll know more. 

I hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

Winter begins in 31 days..

November woods are bare and still;
November days are clear and bright;
Each noon burns up the morning's chill;
The morning's snow is gone by night.

–Helen Hunt Jackson (1830–85)

forecast-20.png.40f067bed85928e43a3b9caf0aaf6ef9.png

• Like 2

Spann is mentioning a big pre Thanksgiving storm that might effect travel in the big cities. I looked at his graphic and it looked like a big snow maker for mid west and Ohio valley, and nasty weather in the warm sector. Looked like nothing much at all for us on the s east coast but some storms for n ga

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RickyD said:

Spann is mentioning a big pre Thanksgiving storm that might effect travel in the big cities. I looked at his graphic and it looked like a big snow maker for mid west and Ohio valley, and nasty weather in the warm sector. Looked like nothing much at all for us on the s east coast but some storms for n ga

At this point it's hard to know any specifics other than there will be inclement weather during that time period. The models have been all over the place for the Thanksgiving holidays.

• Like 1

I'm feeling pretty nervous about the potential for bad weather around Thanksgiving.  We will be on the road 12 hours Wednesday and 12 hours again on Friday.  Going up through TN, KY, and IL.  I sure hope the bad weather holds off or else fizzles out.

1 hour ago, Bagsmom said:

I'm feeling pretty nervous about the potential for bad weather around Thanksgiving.  We will be on the road 12 hours Wednesday and 12 hours again on Friday.  Going up through TN, KY, and IL.  I sure hope the bad weather holds off or else fizzles out.

The models are taking a low up across that part of the country... but of course the details are not known yet. Check back with me and I'll try to give you more details about the weather where you are going. You could have anything from thunderstorms to tornadoes to snow.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

The models are taking a low up across that part of the country... but of course the details are not known yet. Check back with me and I'll try to give you more details about the weather where you are going. You could have anything from thunderstorms to tornadoes to snow.

Oh man!

2 hours ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

I will watch and check in.  If we would we better off, we could potentially leave Tuesday evening and get into TN.  Drive through KY and IL on Wed.  But we would have no option but to travel all day Friday.  I guess we will wait and see...  Thank you!