• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Friday, November 22

Good Friday morning!

Well, I didn't see squat with the meteor shower last night. The skies here in Sarasota appeared to be a little hazy as I could only see a few stars, while this morning I see a lot more. Oh well... I did get to stay up and watch a good Georgia Tech football game! 🙂

Light showers already making their way across north Georgia this morning and that rain will increase in coverage as the day goes on.

Snap346063079.thumb.png.ae38a4d04f0d076dc4dd6457ad08ead0.png

Later today, a surface low is expected to develop over the ArkLaTex
region and quickly lift northeastward into the Ohio Valley, causing
the cold front to progress eastward across the forecast area. As a
result, widespread rainfall will spread across the area on Saturday
ahead of this frontal boundary. With rain chances persisting across
far northern Georgia from Friday morning through much of the day
Saturday, the heaviest rainfall totals associated with this system
are anticipated across the far northern tier. Mainly 1 to 1.5 inches
of rain are expected in the areas north of the metro area.
To the
south, lower rainfall amounts between 0.5 inches and 1 inch are
expected as the front moves fairly quickly through the area Saturday
afternoon and evening.
While only marginal instability is expected
during the daytime Saturday, the forcing ahead of the cold front
will be sufficient to warrant a continued mention of a slight chance
of thunder. Strong to severe thunderstorms are not currently
anticipated with this system.

I know everyone wants to know about the Thanksgiving holiday period as many will be traveling to see family and friends. Weather will be a factor but the models are not being very much help at the moment. For more information about the extended forecast, here is what I posted this morning.

And here are the thoughts from the Atlanta NWS

Models agree that a surface low developing over the Plains on
Tuesday will lift northeast into the Great Lakes and drag a weak
cold front toward the area by Wednesday morning. PoPs will thus be
on the increase by late Tuesday into Wednesday morning.
Despite good
moisture return bringing PWs back in the 1-1.5" range, forcing will
be rather weak given the parent low rapidly lifting far to the
north, and QPF with this front currently appears on the light side.
By Thanksgiving, strong ridging looks to build over the Gulf with
upper waves moving through the southern stream. With model
divergence regarding the timing/evolution of these disturbances,
currently advertise slight chance to low end chance PoPs on
Thursday.

This is what the WPC rainfall amounts look like through Sunday morning.

wpc-conus-qpf-atlanta-total_precip_inch-4596800.thumb.png.8e1b5af6d0c10b17d6505af418b6d143.png

So a couple of cloudy rainy days before we head into the final week of November and the last week of meteorological fall. Winter is approaching, and by most accounts, it is looking to be a potentially good one for us. 🙂  I have an old blog post about Georgia winters and ENSO states, and neutral ENSO's generally mean cold winters here.  Here's the link: 

So it's about 8-9 days until meteorological winter or about 29 days until astronomical winter, you can take your pick.  🙂 Either way, fall is winding down.

Whatever you do, please enjoy the day! All of my recent life changing moments have made me stop and think about what's important and what isn't. Take the time to enjoy every moment. The more I observe this beautiful creation, the more amazed I become and the more I know that none of this was an accident. If you can get out and immerse yourself in nature, do so.  We been able to spend a lot of time here in Sarasota watching and observing all the varieties of sea birds and other wildlife,  and it is truly amazing. I suppose that is what I like about the mountains, there is something to that peaceful solitude that rejuvenates my soul. And of course the awe inspiring views don't hurt either. 🙂 

Have a great Friday!

If what I say resonates with you, it is merely because we are both branches on the same tree.
–William Butler Yeats (1865–1939)

forecast-22.png.a69123e4c53743320d501b2ef907caad.png

• Like 3

This is the day the Lord hath made. I will rejoice and be glad in it. Thankfulness cannot come until you appreciate what you have. ( Psalms 103) Forget not all thy benefits.  You can't remember what you don't acknowledge.  Like a spoiled child with christmas gifts, unwrapping one, throwing it on the floor, grabbing another.  Then a toy goes into a well overstocked toybox to never been seen or played with anymore.  Thanks for your thoughts Steve, but sorry for your pain which has made life more precious.

Weather news...... I am in the - "hurry up Thanksgiving, let's get Christmas here" mode..... if you follow my drift.  This is going to be a typical S East Thanksgiving , wet and cool.  Been hunting a many a time in lower Alabama at my Grandparents place in this type of weather.  But i am hearing rumors, and rumbles of more exciting times to come.  Again for me now in Metter Ii will be an observer, but still i will be almost as excited to follow along.  

Be safe going home Steve and we pray for you and the guys on here.  It is a good place to come and "ESCAPE" FOR A WHILE.... AND ENGROSS myself in something i have loved since an early child.....  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RickyD said:

This is the day the Lord hath made. I will rejoice and be glad in it. Thankfulness cannot come until you appreciate what you have. ( Psalms 103) Forget not all thy benefits.  You can't remember what you don't acknowledge.  Like a spoiled child with christmas gifts, unwrapping one, throwing it on the floor, grabbing another.  Then a toy goes into a well overstocked toybox to never been seen or played with anymore.  Thanks for your thoughts Steve, but sorry for your pain which has made life more precious.

Weather news...... I am in the - "hurry up Thanksgiving, let's get Christmas here" mode..... if you follow my drift.  This is going to be a typical S East Thanksgiving , wet and cool.  Been hunting a many a time in lower Alabama at my Grandparents place in this type of weather.  But i am hearing rumors, and rumbles of more exciting times to come.  Again for me now in Metter Ii will be an observer, but still i will be almost as excited to follow along.  

Be safe going home Steve and we pray for you and the guys on here.  It is a good place to come and "ESCAPE" FOR A WHILE.... AND ENGROSS myself in something i have loved since an early child.....  

Thank you very much Ricky.

I was thinking along similar lines the last few days - I do a lot of trail running and between the quality of the light and the color of the leaves, I've never been happier to be such a slow runner :)

Visiting my parents for a week between Christmas and New Years, so should have some nice photos from a very stark winter.  If I can, I'll take a day and go skiing at the place next to Mount Washington, where you can see the rockpile from the lift; just as a contrast to Sarasota.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mudrun said:

I was thinking along similar lines the last few days - I do a lot of trail running and between the quality of the light and the color of the leaves, I've never been happier to be such a slow runner 🙂

Visiting my parents for a week between Christmas and New Years, so should have some nice photos from a very stark winter.  If I can, I'll take a day and go skiing at the place next to Mount Washington, where you can see the rockpile from the lift; just as a contrast to Sarasota.

That would be awesome! I want to make it up there in the fall/winter so I can say I've experienced New England during all the good seasons! 🙂

I had a feeling the Glenn burns talking about a cold and snowy winter was just a mirage....: heres the real Glenn burns that I know 

152A91BD-071E-4F77-9BA7-1D189D858697.png

Edited by LoveSnow

2 hours ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

FB_IMG_1574455357516.thumb.jpg.72fec6000defc25d4563b674a83268ac.jpgFB_IMG_1574455364045.thumb.jpg.462c1cc07f65e829edd8e516df4469af.jpgI always hate seeing this lol. But hopefully seeing it now means we can get our turn with the cold during a time of year that we can actually make use of it. 

LOL! Do not fear. The first reason is they are CPC maps. I hate those things. Keep in mind those aren't temperatures, just a probability of above or below normal. To me that's worthless. Tell me how much above or below, not the probabilities. There will be a little warmth, but only very briefly, especially if you believe the ensembles

Here's the Euro ensemble and GFS ensemble Dec 3.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-conus-t2m_f_anom-5396000.thumb.png.2b186d202e07c4f2d27121621928cd94.png

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-conus-t2m_f_anom-5309600.thumb.png.01bc5aa6122982a12e4bef1f69c269ff.png