• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Tuesday, December 10

Small improvements initially on the Euro at 12z but then the system cut. I don't remember the last time we've seen a system not cut in the winter months. Is it too much to ask for a low to just track eastward along the gulf lol

• Like 3

Is it just me or are the temps dropping faster than forecasted? Radar trends to our west are looking promising as well. Fingers crossed still lol. 

• Like 1

Okay not to sound any alarm, but I’m sitting in car line in Dallas, GA and the precip that’s falling is tinier than drizzle and kind of “fluttering” down.

im not saying it’s snowflakes, but... they’re acting like snowflakes 👀

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Nic said:

Is it just me or are the temps dropping faster than forecasted? Radar trends to our west are looking promising as well. Fingers crossed still lol. 

Agreed. Thermometer is reading 44 where I am now, and the NWS forecast had us still in the low 50s at this time of day. 

• Like 1

Just posted for Jasper, I'll take it!

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Peachtree City GA
314 PM EST Tue Dec 10 2019

GAZ001>009-011>016-111200-
Dade-Walker-Catoosa-Whitfield-Murray-Fannin-Gilmer-Union-Towns-
Chattooga-Gordon-Pickens-Dawson-Lumpkin-White-
314 PM EST Tue Dec 10 2019

...RAIN AND SNOW POSSIBLE TONIGHT ACROSS PORTIONS OF NORTH
GEORGIA...

A wintry mix of snow and rain will be possible across the higher
elevations of north Georgia overnight. Some light accumulations
between one and two tenths of an inch are possible...mainly at
elevations between 1000 feet and 2000 feet. At elevations above
2000 feet, some locally higher accumulations are possible ranging
from half an inch up to an inch. Any snow accumulations will be on
grassy or elevated surfaces.

• Like 2

From what I'm seeing, as long as the moisture doesn't dry up too much, NW GA should definitely see a nice little snow. Already seeing a lot of 38 degree temps from Blue Ridge westward, probably just a few degrees from seeing mixing. Still a sad 49 degrees here just east of y'all lol

• Like 2

#teamblueridge! Hi-res model shows Blue Ridge getting nothing though which is worrisome

2 minutes ago, Nic said:

#teamblueridge! Hi-res model shows Blue Ridge getting nothing though which is worrisome

It's a tough call cause I'd say somewhere from Blue Ridge to Blairsville is where the cutoff will setup. The moisture is as healthy as it will get, it's all down hill from here as more and more interaction with the mountain chain happens. You'll notice on the models the band peaks this afternoon and then falls apart overnight. I'd say that's why it's not showing much. The further NW you go the better and better chances there is. It does appear temps are cooperating though, and based on trends to the west changeover is around 33-34 degrees. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RickyD said:

Latest GFS had one too many

The 18z didn’t have it..... when are we gonna get consistent model runs?

5 minutes ago, LoveSnow said:

The 18z didn’t have it..... when are we gonna get consistent model runs?

That run wasn't realistic anyway. But it's actually still there and honestly a bit better. The low doesn't cut west of the Apps at least, even if it is 500 miles too far north. But you will literally never get consistency on that kind of lead time. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

That run wasn't realistic anyway. But it's actually still there and honestly a bit better. The low doesn't cut west of the Apps at least, even if it is 500 miles too far north. But you will literally never get consistency on that kind of lead time. 

Understood. Maybe it’ll come back south at 00z

Edited by LoveSnow
  • Like 1

I've finally got a VERY fine misting snow north of Blue Ridge by about 3 miles from what hasn't finally dried up before it got here. The Hi Res is looking more and more accurate. Fannin county is cursed, dries right up lol grrr. They did just release a 2 hour delay for the schools in the morning here.

10 minutes ago, JackFrost said:

Wow, wasn’t expecting a winter weather advisory. More moisture lingering later than they anticipated?

Eh, not seeing any real changes. They probably just did this for continuity with the Huntsville office. 

• Like 1

Just happen to wake up a few minutes ago. It has transitioned to snow in Sky Valley with a temperature of 33 degrees. No accumulation yet. This was at 12:50am and at 3,400’ of elevation.

1 hour ago, Preston said:

Just happen to wake up a few minutes ago. It has transitioned to snow in Sky Valley with a temperature of 33 degrees. No accumulation yet. This was at 12:50am and at 3,400’ of elevation.

Mixed bag down below in Tiger. Still quite warm though at 40 degrees. I wasn't even expecting a mix given how warm it is.