• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Friday, February 7

5 minutes ago, Preston said:

Winter Weather Advisory just issued, I think one inch is on the low end for us in Sky Valley though. 

I think it's on the low end for all of the Georgia mountain counties. Wide spread support for 1-3 inches right now and boundary temps modeled to stay below or right around freezing. 12z GEFS had 15 members with 2+ for Blairsville, a few with around 3, and none with below 1.5

2 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

I think it's on the low end for all of the Georgia mountain counties. Wide spread support for 1-3 inches right now and boundary temps modeled to stay below or right around freezing. 12z GEFS had 15 members with 2+ for Blairsville, a few with around 3, and none with below 1.5

As cool as it has been today, that could very well be the case. Ground temps after tonight should support accumulation right off the bat if temps are below freezing. 

• Like 1

Fingers crossed that Pickens gets added to that list soon! There are a few chores in town tomorrow I would love an excuse to avoid lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheSimpleMan said:

Fingers crossed that Pickens gets added to that list soon! There are a few chores in town tomorrow I would love an excuse to avoid lol.

I have no doubt Pickens will be. Earlier arrival of precip should help with temps over there as well. 

• Like 1

Safe to say that GSP and Atlanta disagree a bit about NE GA mtns for tomorrow. 

With
temps just above the surface below freezing this means winter precip
will be involved, and even though QPF is expected to be low, it will
be enough with an approximate 7.5:1 snow-water ratio for minor snow
accumulations to occur with a rain/snow mix across North Georgia.
Only about a tenth to a half inch of snow accumulations outside the
mountainous regions are expected but with rains and warm ground
temps, if anything falls it probably won`t stick around long. In
mountainous regions up north this could be a different story.
Embedded in colder temps, areas of NW Georgia could see 1-2 inches,
with higher elevations along the spine and mountaintops of the GA
Blue Ridge mountains could see up to 4 inches in some isolated
locations. This has prompted a Winter Weather Advisory for the
majority of Northern GA.

1 minute ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Safe to say that GSP and Atlanta disagree a bit about NE GA mtns for tomorrow. 

With
temps just above the surface below freezing this means winter precip
will be involved, and even though QPF is expected to be low, it will
be enough with an approximate 7.5:1 snow-water ratio for minor snow
accumulations to occur with a rain/snow mix across North Georgia.
Only about a tenth to a half inch of snow accumulations outside the
mountainous regions are expected but with rains and warm ground
temps, if anything falls it probably won`t stick around long. In
mountainous regions up north this could be a different story.
Embedded in colder temps, areas of NW Georgia could see 1-2 inches,
with higher elevations along the spine and mountaintops of the GA
Blue Ridge mountains could see up to 4 inches in some isolated
locations. This has prompted a Winter Weather Advisory for the
majority of Northern GA.

As usual they aren't on the same page....

• Like 1

Man, NGA looking great tomorrow for snow!! Sneaky little event, and potential to bust on the snowier side! The short range models looking juicy!! One has a 3” jackpot near ATL!! Separate thread needed, maybe??☃️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

NAM 3km is juicy for all of N GA. 3/4 of an inch liquid equivalent showing up in places. I'd suspect that's over done but it'd be fun if it wasn't lol. 

Just saw that as well. It juiced up even more than its last run. Show widespread 2-3 over all of North Georgia from the metro to the north! Also noticed it had precip breaking out farther west this run. Interesting trend.

• Like 1

My phone alerted popped "Heavy Snow Alert" i went to click on it and instead cleared it out.  I'm in Canton.  was I imagining things and read what i wanted to see?   i see 1-3 inches in my app but making sure i am not missing something bigger.

• Like 1

Maybe this will be a surprise event. As far as I know, no one is talking about it much. Like they say, “Boom or bust.”

agreed it is being discussed if at all.  wasn't a potential snow event being tracked a couple weeks ago for this time period and then it went away?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ham360 said:

agreed it is being discussed if at all.  wasn't a potential snow event being tracked a couple weeks ago for this time period and then it went away?  

There was and it looked SO good 😂. I was watching this weekend because I was hoping for a birthday snow. 

2 minutes ago, Tori said:

What would the timing and length be on this if it happens? 

Moving into the state tomorrow morning around 7-8 AM then moving through west to east into the afternoon hours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Moving into the state tomorrow morning around 7-8 AM then moving through west to east into the afternoon hours. 

The earlier the better! If y’all could get it around 6-8AM and get that into the Upstate SC area by 9, that’d be great!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SNOW said:

The earlier the better! If y’all could get it around 6-8AM and get that into the Upstate SC area by 9, that’d be great!

Every county around us is under a Winter Weather Advisory. I’m in Haralson county and we’re always right on the line of any event. We’d get the start of it and hopefully early so it’ll be colder! 

Can’t get it to post, but the 18z RGEM hammers NGA as well with snow! I think there will be some suprises for y’all and somebody outside the high mountains of GA see 3”+, in my opinion! All models are increasing moisture and the precip is already forming in AL! Ahead of schedule??

7 minutes ago, LEmbs said:

Metro is now included in a winter advisory.

Athens has a special weather statement so far. Is this gonna be another one of those situations where ATL gets a couple inches and Athens gets nothing (again)?

I'm struggling to believe that temps get as warm as currently forecast if this actually moves in in the morning hours in the mountains. Getting into the 20s overnight, with 850's at like - 6 celcius, if it starts snowing I don't see how that doesn't drive that cold air down to the ground and lock it in around 32-34.

11 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

I'm struggling to believe that temps get as warm as currently forecast if this actually moves in in the morning hours in the mountains. Getting into the 20s overnight, with 850's at like - 6 celcius, if it starts snowing I don't see how that doesn't drive that cold air down to the ground and lock it in around 32-34.

I'm with you. It's COLD even down in the valley this afternoon in Rabun. We have snow flurries and a temp holding at 26 in Sky Valley. I don't see anyway we make it to freezing tomorrow here at 3,400', we may not get out of the 20s but that may be wishful thinking. I'm a big fan of getting things down in the mid-upper 20s and getting the snow ratio up in the 12:1 to 15:1 range. 

• Like 1