• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Wednesday, February 19

Where is the cold air the moisture is supposed to be hitting? Is it a cold front?

Good grief. Lumpkin county's schools are closed tomorrow, and nothing is even falling out of the sky (yet).

18 minutes ago, Dahlonegadawg said:

So how are you feeling this evening? Still pretty low confidence?

No question that there will be snow, it's exactly where and how much that are the big questions, and again, we may not know anything until the morning.

• Sad 1

Can someone post a map showing how cold it’s going to get tomorrow? I’m curious because I’ve seen conflicting temps on different apps and sites. On the bright side NWS is putting Bremen as seeing a mix. 😬  We’ll see how it goes!

D8F9DC56-98BD-4F9F-8853-892D324EA90A.png

How about the roads tomorrow? I live in Pickens a ways off the highway and I’d like to not wind up in a ditch on my ride home tomorrow 😂

47 minutes ago, Tori said:

Can someone post a map showing how cold it’s going to get tomorrow? I’m curious because I’ve seen conflicting temps on different apps and sites. On the bright side NWS is putting Bremen as seeing a mix. 😬  We’ll see how it goes!

D8F9DC56-98BD-4F9F-8853-892D324EA90A.png

That forecast should be mostly right. Could be off by a degree or two here or there, but if so they will adjust it. The temp will fall steadily all day, the high will be at midnight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, JackFrost said:

How about the roads tomorrow? I live in Pickens a ways off the highway and I’d like to not wind up in a ditch on my ride home tomorrow 😂

They shouldn't be an issue but of course be prepared if somehow this thing busts in the good way. If it switches to heavy wet snow roads may get slushy just from the rates but it should be warm enough to avoid any real problems. Tomorrow night/Friday morning is a different story though with it getting into the low 20s refreeze and black ice will be a major concern. 

• Like 1

Sadly, i do believe i will be stuck at the paper in Seneca for quite some time. Live in Rabun Gap. This is when i hate winter. Sorry for italics lol

Just now, Tori said:

Word is it’s looking to trend a little further south...thoughts?

4AB32AF2-3D06-4804-86E3-881788FB4E86.jpeg

Maybe a surprise dusting in places but I just don’t see a lot of accumulation in Georgia outside of the mountains. It’s just going to be too warm. We are trending a degree or two above average and I’m worried here at my location which is about as high as you can get in North GA in elevation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tori said:

Word is it’s looking to trend a little further south...thoughts?

4AB32AF2-3D06-4804-86E3-881788FB4E86.jpeg

I saw this a few minutes ago and wondered the same thing...

15 minutes ago, Preston said:

Maybe a surprise dusting in places but I just don’t see a lot of accumulation in Georgia outside of the mountains. It’s just going to be too warm. We are trending a degree or two above average and I’m worried here at my location which is about as high as you can get in North GA in elevation. 

What's your temp and dew point at up there? I'm running several hours ahead of NWS forecast on dew points and temps are roughly on schedule. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

What's your temp and dew point at up there? I'm running several hours ahead of NWS forecast on dew points and temps are roughly on schedule. 

I’m currently at 45 with a 33 dew point. Is this good?

12 minutes ago, Dahlonegadawg said:

I’m currently at 45 with a 33 dew point. Is this good?

Looks like roughly what NWS forecast is for there. It's on the warm side, but it was supposed to be. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kshields8426 said:

Sadly, i do believe i will be stuck at the paper in Seneca for quite some time. Live in Rabun Gap. This is when i hate winter. Sorry for italics lol

🙂 Dedication. 😛 

6 hours ago, kshields8426 said:

Kevin, I expect to see "MAJOR GEORGIA BLIZZARD SHUTS DOWN STATE" for the headlines tomorrow. 😛

For next week...

some light residual wrap-around precip possible for North Georgia on Wednesday and Thursday,
primarily in the mountainous regions where orographic lifting of the
near-surface stable layer will help with generation of light precip.
Several model runs are hinting at possible light snow flurries with
these light precip showers but it remains to be seen if temperatures
to be cold enough for any flurries to make it to the surface.
For
instance, the GFS is showing light snow at temps in the upper-30s.

6 hours ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

We are at 36 with a dew point of 30. I’m a bit worried to be honest. Got a rain sleet mix going at the moment.