• Forum Image

Good morning!

Well... Cristobal made land fall last night and is heading to Arkansas this morning as he takes a tour of the central US, and you can see the evidence of the moisture that Cristobal is pulling into our area in this water vapor image. So far no rain, but expect to see some later this afternoon once we get the heating of the day.

Snap346065306.thumb.png.2c32492e1c885675024c22e4b65f1f69.png

Tropical Storm Cristobal made landfall in southeast Louisiana yesterday evening, and is now moving north to northwest underneath a broad upper level ridge. Cristobal will continue to weaken and move towards the mid-west today, where it will be absorbed by a large upper level trough approaching from the west and begin to undergo extratropical transition. Direct impacts associated with the storm will remain to the west of the forecast area, however, deep moisture on the east side of the storm remains in place over Georgia (especially the southern portions of our area), and a plume of tropical moisture will spread over the area behind the remnants of Cristobal as it gets picked up by the trough. As a result, humid,
sticky, downright soupy conditions will be the rule through the short term period, with dewpoints reaching as high as the mid 70's, and PWAT'S over 2 inches on Tuesday.

A lull in precipitation is ongoing as the short term period begins this morning. Scattered convection is expected to develop across the forecast area during the daytime today, with the highest chances during the afternoon. Chance PoP's are thus expected across most of the CWA this afternoon, with low-end likely chances in portions of central and west Georgia. Conditional instability will be sufficient to support at least a slight chance of thunderstorms through the daytime today, with diurnal heating allowing for the greatest thunderstorms chances during the afternoon hours. Widespread severe weather is not anticipated at this time, although a couple of storms may become strong, capable of producing gusty winds along with frequent lightning and locally heavy rain. Aside from any heavy rain associated with a strong storm, QPF values are mostly expected to remain light, with generally less than 1/4" of rain expected throughout the day today.

As more tropical moisture spreads northward across the area on Tuesday, which will increase PoP's significantly especially by Tuesday afternoon as diurnally-driven convection increases. Numerous thunderstorms are expected across the area on Tuesday afternoon, with likely PoP's forecast across north and central Georgia during that time. Some isolated thunderstorms may once again become strong during the afternoon, and capable of producing gusty winds along with frequent lightning and heavy rain.

The deep moisture and increased cloud cover will keep the diurnal range of temperatures fairly limited today and Tuesday, with high temperatures 0-3 degrees above normal, mainly in the mid 80's to low 90's, and low temperatures 6-12 degrees above normal, mainly in the upper 60's to low 70's.

Again, I'll use a precipitable water loop to illustrate the moisture content in the atmosphere. Notice how we dry out considerably toward the middle to the end of the period. 
ecmwf-deterministic-georgia-pwat-1591574400-1591574400-1592438400-40.thumb.gif.1b4dde647ce14045b5a8a98bb9444f81.gif

Here are the house today I can't see squat. 🙂 So much for a view. 🙂 

1335269125_jpeg(2).thumb.jpg.b2e5147dfdbebd8a0cc100ed324c32d6.jpg

Yesterday the sunrise was spectacular though.
20200607_060807.thumb.jpg.065cf75b05100e2604acfca36a22a579.jpg

I have a couple of webcams temporarily working even though they are technically "indoor" cameras. One I have sitting out on the deck railing and that is the camera that provided the two images above. If you'd like to see an image from this camera, just click on this link and save it as a Favorite/Bookmark.  Right now I'm uploading an image to my website once a minute, so what you see should never be more than a minute old. It may have different views depending on the weather etc, but I'll try to keep it running until I can get the main webcams installed. 

I hope everyone has a great start to the work week. Once we get past late Wednesday/Thursday morning, it's going to be beautiful! Something to look forward to! 🙂

ffc-08.png.223f5e17c8c6c98435413fe38a39bb3e.png

mrx-087.thumb.png.88bd670eef98721fea7d644af9d07e47.png

bmx-08.thumb.png.ad41a7eb253fb375c92b2326f6f8a3bc.png

• Like 1