• Forum Image

Good morning!

If you had rain yesterday, it was quite a downpour! More of the same today with hail and high winds the biggest threat. You can see the center of the upper level low, and that low will continue to drop south through the day. 

Snap346065341.thumb.png.280480a4f5d27bdee49a0b4e1c7b9015.png

A cutoff upper-level low pressure system, resulting from a Rossby wave break in the subtropical jet steam, will continue moving towards the southern Appalachian mountains from the Ohio River Valley. As the low drops southward, a Rex Block pattern will begin to set up across eastern North America, keeping the low pressure in place over the Southern Blue Ridge and Carolina's for several days.

The enhanced lift will draw in and trap low-level moisture across the region. With lowered freezing levels near the low pushing MUCAPE values near 1500 J/kg, thunderstorms will be favorable this afternoon with some isolated severe storms possible. Higher CAPE values will increase the threat for hail development with afternoon storms and drier air near 10kft with push DCAPE values to the 1000-1500 J/kg range, increasing the threat for strong to severe wind gusts. Overall, the severe threat is still expected to remain low with the lack of stronger organization in the upper-levels as long as upscale growth fails to develop.

Tomorrow, a weak wedge front is expected to develop as the upper-low sinks into southern SC. PWAT values will drop to around 1" and warmer upper-level temperatures will keep MUCAPE values much lower than Monday, but with the weak forcing of the upper-level cutoff low still in place showers and weaker thunderstorms will still be possible in the afternoon. Temperatures in the 70's to mid-80's on Monday will drop into the 70's through the forecast area on Tuesday and dewpoints will drop from near 60 into the mid-50's.

SPC Outlooks for today

SPC_CO_Day1State.thumb.png.ea80a02da08f85a8bdc79dfc09b38887.png

SPC_WP_Day1State.thumb.png.56576dda81040bae29e7ca842c84f222.png

SPC_HP_Day1State.thumb.png.66fb9bc68759f74a4affd27d1e4f095e.png

I had a really good view of a shelf cloud when the storms came through here yesterday,  and the time lapse video turned out pretty good with all the cloud motions. I had to stick the camera under the table for a few minutes during one of the storms, I thought it was going to blow off the deck railing. 🙂

20200614_180329.thumb.jpg.789474ff5d042f35baf03381b7f5d39b.jpg

And the time lapse

So let's see what forms today, the clouds will start to build around 10-11 am and by the afternoon we should see a few nice thunderstorms around. At least it will be nice and cool!
Have a great Monday!

ffc.png.6ef5b581163e12f7bb6f08b21ebbbdde.png

mrx.thumb.png.9a67fb37c2dbf2a4eadc235092256cca.png

bmx.thumb.png.d399b62b890b8896d937ce58186df469.png

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Even here in S Georgia the cut off low is having a huge effect.  In fact I thought about starting a new thread just on the low. It is mid June and in the next couple of days it will be partly cloudy and N winds 10-15 with highs in the 70's.  You just don't find that often THIS FAR SOUTH in mid june.  I did notice also that near Charleston S Carolina yesterday they had 6* inches in a 24 hour period. So this thing packs a powerful punch. The hail reports in NE GA were impressive too

Edited by RickyD
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, RickyD said:

Even here in S Georgia the cut off low is having a huge effect.  In fact I thought about starting a new thread just on the low. It is mid June and in the next couple of days it will be partly cloudy and N winds 10-15 with highs in the 70's.  You just don't find that often THIS FAR SOUTH in mid june.  I did notice also that near Charleston S Carolina yesterday they had 6* inches in a 24 hour period. So this thing packs a powerful punch. The hail reports in NE GA were impressive too

Helps keep the giant gnats away too! 🙂

• Like 1

Yesterday’s storms were fun to watch. Here in Buford I only got .05 hundredths of rain but had over 330 lightning strikes detected in an hour. Fun storms! 

Strong storm here in Buford. Strongest winds were in the heart of the storm. Marble size hail. Temp went from 83 to 59 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shannon said:

Strong storm here in Buford. Strongest winds were in the heart of the storm. Marble size hail. Temp went from 83 to 59 

Yea, it really dropped here too. With such cold temps aloft, even if you don't get hail you get rain that is near freezing, and it can quickly drop the temps, especially if it's a big dump! 🙂 It did the same thing here yesterday. It got so cold we had to close the windows. 🙂