• Forum Image

Good morning!

Got rain? 🙂 The NW corner of the state has missed out on the rain for the most part, but most everyone else has had a little. We do have some gusty winds and lots of moisture around the area this morning, and that is going to continue all day long. Once the sun comes up and we get a little heat in the sky, the showers, rain, and thunderstorms will increase again.

Right now the low is between Macon and Atlanta and it will continue to move northeast as the day progresses. The showers are low topped and a lot of the rain is below the radar beam, so you may be seeing some even when the radar isn't. Snap346065490.thumb.png.b331c55493b7830a4a11334283f02d28.png

Here are the thoughts from the Atlanta NWS office:

Center of surface meso-low drifting slightly northward across the CWA and is currently positioned just north of Macon. Most persistent generated showers have been along the eastern side of this feature but isolated development possible area-wide given this continued abnormally moist environment. Daytime heating again today should ramp up to mostly categorical pops by afternoon along with increased general thunder potential. Localized heavy rain/flooding and perhaps some enhanced downdraft winds from hydrometeor loading would again be the main threats with stronger convection.

While the surface low is progged to shift more eastward for Wednesday the overall airmass has little change and an upper wave approaching from the west will keep at least likely pops again maximized for the afternoon with diurnal enhancement.

Here are the radar estimated rainfall totals so far.
radar_ffc_06.thumb.png.1106add39e0844de82ac86bde0285d70.png

So more of the same for tomorrow as well. We do start to dry out a little bit on Thursday, but diurnally driven showers and thunderstorms will still be in the picture. We do start to warm up though, so get ready for some heat. These are NWS forecast max temps for the next 7 days. Friday is not showing for whatever reason, but it's pretty much like Thursday.
ndfd-conus-atlanta-t2m_f_max_last24-1594108800-1594080000-1594684800-200.thumb.gif.744fde99ce135d8f20e10f33bde20409.gif

While these are hot, they aren't too abnormally hot for this time of the year. Here's a look at the high/low temp anomalies for the next 7 days.  You'll notice the highs are pretty normal, but due to moisture and cloud cover, the lows are above normal.

High Temp Anomalies

Low Temp Anomalies

So more of the same for a few more days. As long as it's cool, I'll take the rain every day. The last thing I want to see is a big Bermuda high parking itself on top of us.
Hope everyone has a wonderful Tuesday!

ffc.png.d592d277edb35ddad36a241e79ac4f73.png

mrx.thumb.png.dae0b3ab47bf1fad277b530a20c97df9.png

bmx.thumb.png.22354ddf68c58357ccb2a1b43ebd8f86.png

• Like 3

Good morning!  Drove my kids up to my parents' house for the month of July and while here, made a day for a hike up one of your favorite places...  we did a 9 mi loop, 6 hours, taking the Ammanusic Ravine trail to the top and the Jewell down, starting and ending at Marshfield Station, where the Cog departs.  

We had the best day I've ever had up there - sunny, bright, no precipitation, 55 degrees at the top with a steady but reasonable breeze.  The top is all closed, and traffic was light.  I'd say the Cog was at 30% capacity?  Maybe?  Lake of the Clouds hut was open for light menu and running water, which was totally unexpected.
50603518_image2(1).thumb.jpeg.2057c770f6cef4f354fa8491e02dbc94.jpeg
Perfect day for a hike, either way.  Hope you're well, either way - enjoy the pics.

1353054670_image1(1).thumb.jpeg.ded29694fa57ffc7a88e0dba31d335d4.jpegimage0.thumb.jpeg.6678c381073c86b167091d7b050fbab6.jpeg1301553437_image0(1).thumb.jpeg.aba09a40bf60aadcdc87c17e970ac730.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mudrun said:

Good morning!  Drove my kids up to my parents' house for the month of July and while here, made a day for a hike up one of your favorite places...  we did a 9 mi loop, 6 hours, taking the Ammanusic Ravine trail to the top and the Jewell down, starting and ending at Marshfield Station, where the Cog departs.  

We had the best day I've ever had up there - sunny, bright, no precipitation, 55 degrees at the top with a steady but reasonable breeze.  The top is all closed, and traffic was light.  I'd say the Cog was at 30% capacity?  Maybe?  Lake of the Clouds hut was open for light menu and running water, which was totally unexpected.
50603518_image2(1).thumb.jpeg.2057c770f6cef4f354fa8491e02dbc94.jpeg
Perfect day for a hike, either way.  Hope you're well, either way - enjoy the pics.

1353054670_image1(1).thumb.jpeg.ded29694fa57ffc7a88e0dba31d335d4.jpegimage0.thumb.jpeg.6678c381073c86b167091d7b050fbab6.jpeg1301553437_image0(1).thumb.jpeg.aba09a40bf60aadcdc87c17e970ac730.jpeg

Hey there! Good to hear from you!

Those are SO beautiful, thanks for sharing. Being on top there is like being in another world, it's surreal. In looking at the pictures, there is a big difference between the vegetation now and the first/second week of June last year, much greener in your pictures. 

When you're on top, the vastness of it all is boggling. I always felt like I was going to fall off or something. 😊 Glad you had great weather, because it is certainly hit or miss up there. 🙂 How long did you all stay up north? 

I was reading today about the "greenhead" flies that are about ready to make their appearance. I don't think I want to be around those... 😉 

• Like 1

I'm flying back in a few days - my kids are here for the whole month and then flying home alone.  It is really green, isnt it?  I have never seen it so green.  My parents insisted they've been in a drought, although the last few days have been rainy.  The Ammonusic river was going pretty strong all the way to the top, so maybe the higher altitude has gotten a lot of flow-down precipitation.  The Great Gulf and Gulf of Slides were incredibly green, although the lakes and rivers are pretty low.  Guess this mountainside vegetation is sucking it all up and more efficient?

And you're so right, going from below treeline to above treeline in the alpine zone is wild.  The world changes instantly into something thats barely recognizable.  Love it up there and I had never taken this route.  

The greenhead flies are out already and they are awful; particularly so on the walk down, when you're so exhausted you can barely swat them away.  Another remote and beautiful place I used to hike is Assateague Island in Maryland - 14mi of untouched Atlantic beach, full of wild horses, remote ocean, and ... swarms of greenhead flies.  You have to haul your own water in if you want to camp, and whether you kayak or hike, the greenheads come at you in clouds from which its impossible to escape, laden down by all your own water.  

Only notable wildlife we saw yesterday - aside from the flies - were ravens, who laughed us all the way from the parking lot to the Lake of the Clouds hut.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mudrun said:

I'm flying back in a few days - my kids are here for the whole month and then flying home alone.  It is really green, isnt it?  I have never seen it so green.  My parents insisted they've been in a drought, although the last few days have been rainy.  The Ammonusic river was going pretty strong all the way to the top, so maybe the higher altitude has gotten a lot of flow-down precipitation.  The Great Gulf and Gulf of Slides were incredibly green, although the lakes and rivers are pretty low.  Guess this mountainside vegetation is sucking it all up and more efficient?

And you're so right, going from below treeline to above treeline in the alpine zone is wild.  The world changes instantly into something thats barely recognizable.  Love it up there and I had never taken this route.  

The greenhead flies are out already and they are awful; particularly so on the walk down, when you're so exhausted you can barely swat them away.  Another remote and beautiful place I used to hike is Assateague Island in Maryland - 14mi of untouched Atlantic beach, full of wild horses, remote ocean, and ... swarms of greenhead flies.  You have to haul your own water in if you want to camp, and whether you kayak or hike, the greenheads come at you in clouds from which its impossible to escape, laden down by all your own water.  

Only notable wildlife we saw yesterday - aside from the flies - were ravens, who laughed us all the way from the parking lot to the Lake of the Clouds hut.

LOL!!! That's great! 🙂 Or not so great if you're getting chased by green eyed flies! LOL!