• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Winter Weather Potential - January 20-27

Ok... going out on a limb by creating this post, but I believe there is enough model justification to warrant it.  No guarantees! 😜

The models are all beginning to show threats for this time period even though we're 10 days or so away. The mythical blocking is finally appearing, major cold intrusions, and glimpses of snow across the southeast are all part of the picture. This  is unfolding exactly as expected and it appears that winter may be settling in for quite a while. The models are still all over the place, so continue to expect large swings in the model runs.

Later this evening, I'll try to put something together to help illustrate the changes that we're seeing. But I can tell you this... my excitement level has gone up considerably today. 🙂

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Ok... going out on a limb by creating this post, but I believe there is enough model justification to warrant it.  No guarantees! 😜

The models are all beginning to show threats for this time period even though we're 10 days or so away. The mythical blocking is finally appearing, major cold intrusions, and glimpses of snow across the southeast are all part of the picture. This  is unfolding exactly as expected and it appears that winter may be settling in for quite a while. The models are still all over the place, so continue to expect large swings in the model runs.

Later this evening, I'll try to put something together to help illustrate the changes that we're seeing. But I can tell you this... my excitement level has gone up considerably today. 🙂

I'm excited b/c you said when you get excited, we can get excited!!!!!  I can't wait!!!!!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LoveSnow said:

Tell me more.......#slowlygettingexcited

I know it's going to have to snow before you'll believe... but I'm working on making you a believer. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

I know it's going to have to snow before you'll believe... but I'm working on making you a believer. :classic_biggrin:

Yep pretty much 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm going to try to NOT get excited, since that seems to jinx it away!  It's just fun to have something to watch!

• Like 2

I have my rose colored glasses on.. am ready

• Like 2

Watch nothing happen in January and then when it does snow it snows on super bowl Sunday 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Meatloaf sang a song " 2 out of 3 ain't Bad".  Well  that is what i am seeing at the moment.  The models are showing snow for our area.  The Global models are showing cold dropping in and setting up.  Now that is the 2.

3 is when it starts showing up in our 240 hour or 10 day forecasts.  It still is not there on any app. 

Sing Meatloaf....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RickyD said:

Meatloaf sang a song " 2 out of 3 ain't Bad".  Well  that is what i am seeing at the moment.  The models are showing snow for our area.  The Global models are showing cold dropping in and setting up.  Now that is the 2.

3 is when it starts showing up in our 240 hour or 10 day forecasts.  It still is not there on any app. 

Sing Meatloaf....

Thus no reason to get excited yet 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just keeps looking better and better. Although I’m more confident about that 24th-26th period, the 20th is still very interesting. Maybe we can get really lucky and score a 1-2 punch lol. That PV piece trending further and further south on EPS would lead to more suppression of the 20th system which is what we need to get that track south. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, LoveSnow said:

I told you i love Weather, so i am always excited.  And yes if you know anything about Meteorology you can't help but be excited about this winter.  Even people like Bastardi are excited and they have seen MUCH

Edited by RickyD
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Conchyjoe said:

Will it snow down at the 19th Latitude?

I need your moisture. 😛 What's the temp today?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, LoveSnow said:

I'm excited about the pattern, not a specific storm yet.

• Like 2

Just now, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

I'm excited about the pattern, not a specific storm yet.

I can’t get excited yet 

Here is a pic of Little Big Horn in Snow....

We went to S Dakota on vacation, and went up to the Battle site...

nph-jpeg.cgi.jpg

• Like 3

I’m just gonna have to ignore the surface maps for now, and just look at the big picture pattern stuff cause those constantly north storm tracks are driving me crazy. No way we’re gonna go through this pattern change and then see the same exact storm track we’re getting tomorrow lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

I’m just gonna have to ignore the surface maps for now, and just look at the big picture pattern stuff cause those constantly north storm tracks are driving me crazy. No way we’re gonna go through this pattern change and then see the same exact storm track we’re getting tomorrow lol

Exactly

13 hours ago, Conchyjoe said:

Will it snow down at the 19th Latitude?

Folks... my friend Bob here is trolling us. 😉 Bob use to live here in Atlanta and I use to autocross with him, but he retired and moved to the Cayman Islands. Rat dog. 😜 So if you'd ever like to take a vacation and go scuba diving down there, Bob's the man! 

http://www.dnsdiving.com/

Bob... once the snow gets here, I'll make sure to send everyone pictures down there. You send the underwater stuff. 🙂

• Like 2