• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Winter Weather Potential - January 20-27

2 minutes ago, fernfam said:

Gcps teacher here too! Grayson! My principal got me started following you! He mentioned you on the announcements today!! We are ready for the snow!! ❄️  

Awesome!!! Who is the principal there?

16 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

LOL!!! I retired from Gwinnett Schools November 16. Amen! 

Retired last May. Don’t cha love it! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doyouwannabuildasnowman said:

Retired teacher.  I have always been more excited about snowdays than the kids. I lose sleep for days beforehand wishing the storms in.  Watching and hoping this makes us all snowbunnies.  🙂

Amazing how many educators are here. Very cool!

And I feel the same way. I turn into the biggest kid when snow starts showing up!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Doyouwannabuildasnowman said:

Retired teacher.  I have always been more excited about snowdays than the kids. I lose sleep for days beforehand wishing the storms in.  Watching and hoping this makes us all snowbunnies.  🙂

I might not lose sleep, but I pretty much wear myself out researching, reading and trying to see what is going to happen as soon as I can..... pretty much like it was when I was a kid in the 80's in Tampa. The St. Petersburg Times used to publish maps of the Gulf of Mexico in the newspaper each time a storm came into the gulf and my friends and I would spend days pretending to be meteorologists and tracking the storm on a newsprint map.:classic_biggrin:

Edited by Jay
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Awesome!!! Who is the principal there?

Our principal at the elementary school is Chris Brown! He’s the best! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LHarkins913 said:

Hey Steve? 

Could you explain the difference between the GFS and the FV3-GFS, other than the FV3 is newer? 

I know the FV3 uses a new grid, but here's a good article about the model and the guy that is responsible for it.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/04/take-europe-computer-modeler-aims-give-us-lead-weather-predictions

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fernfam said:

Our principal at the elementary school is Chris Brown! He’s the best! 

Chris is my baby brother. 😊

• Like 2

What are the chances for all of this being ice in the metro instead of snow? I don’t want ice! (And I’m a teacher, too.)

Just now, WetzelAhmi said:

What are the chances for all of this being ice in the metro instead of snow? I don’t want ice! (And I’m a teacher, too.)

Based on the amount of cold the models are showing, snow is the more likely mode of winter weather, at least for this first week and based on what we know now. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Based on the amount of cold the models are showing, snow is the more likely mode of winter weather, at least for this first week and based on what we know now. 

Thank goodness 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

We need some good snow out in northeast GA to make up being left out the past couple of years. Seems like everyone around us got it. I hope the stubborn warm nose doesn't mess things up this time. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Athens said:

That would be a mess of a storm if it verifies. 😅

a900c784-033d-476a-b92e-8aca39f6a050.jpg

It’s a complete fantasy so it doesn’t really matter, but going through some soundings around the state during that storm and the mixing looks overdone. The warm nose it is showing is so shallow and weak, and the surface is so cold I’d say most would be snow the entire storm with maybe a little sleet if that look were somehow to verify. In fact I’m excited about the possibility for something we definitely don’t see down here much, and that’s high ratio snow. That showed a lot of N GA spending the majority of the storm in the teens to mid 20s. That would be ratios potentially as high as 20 to 1 at times.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

It’s a complete fantasy so it doesn’t really matter, but going through some soundings around the state during that storm and the mixing looks overdone. The warm nose it is showing is so shallow and weak, and the surface is so cold I’d say most would be snow the entire storm with maybe a little sleet if that look were somehow to verify. In fact I’m excited about the possibility for something we definitely don’t see down here much, and that’s high ratio snow. That showed a lot of N GA spending the majority of the storm in the teens to mid 20s. That would be ratios potentially as high as 20 to 1 at times.

Keep talking, I like what you're saying lol.

20 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Giving 93 a run for it's money? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Athens said:

Giving 93 a run for it's money? 

It’s way too early for me to say something like that. The words “Blizzard of 93” are like catnip to southerners lol. As far as just snowfall amounts some places could absolutely see as much. (Again, ONLY IF THAT EXACT LOOK FROM GFS FANTASYLAND SOMEHOW COMES TRUE.) Some places north of the metro got more than 93 just last December though, and many places in N GA have had as much or more over the years. What made 93 special was the dynamics. And if I’m being honest, I’d be surprised to ever see a storm like that again. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

It’s way too early for me to say something like that. The words “Blizzard of 93” are like catnip to southerners lol. As far as just snowfall amounts some places could absolutely see as much. (Again, ONLY IF THAT EXACT LOOK FROM GFS FANTASYLAND SOMEHOW COMES TRUE.) Some places north of the metro got more than 93 just last December though, and many places in N GA have had as much or more over the years. What made 93 special was the dynamics. And if I’m being honest, I’d be surprised to ever see a storm like that again. 

It's always nice to hear others perspectives. It's a shame I wasn't around to witness 93 for myself but from what I gathered it didn't affect Athens too much. I can only hope to experience such a storm sometime in my lifetime. 

13 minutes ago, Athens said:

It's always nice to hear others perspectives. It's a shame I wasn't around to witness 93 for myself but from what I gathered it didn't affect Athens too much. I can only hope to experience such a storm sometime in my lifetime. 

For myself I can’t remember much about it as I was too young. But I’ve studied that storm quite a bit, and of course heard the stories from others and it truly was a Storm of The Century. As much as I would love to experience it today, most of the stories from people up here in the mountains during that storm paint a pretty terrifying picture. Storms like that often come with deadly consequences and 93 was no exception. Knowing we can get nearly as much snow in a much gentler storm, I’ll take the latter these days lol

8 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

For myself I can’t remember much about it as I was too young. But I’ve studied that storm quite a bit, and of course heard the stories from others and it truly was a Storm of The Century. As much as I would love to experience it today, most of the stories from people up here in the mountains during that storm paint a pretty terrifying picture. Storms like that often come with deadly consequences and 93 was no exception. Knowing we can get nearly as much snow in a much gentler storm, I’ll take the latter these days lol

True, December 8th is a good example. 

• Like 1