• Forum Image

Winter Weather Potential - January 20-27

2 hours ago, Doyouwannabuildasnowman said:

Retired teacher.  I have always been more excited about snowdays than the kids. I lose sleep for days beforehand wishing the storms in.  Watching and hoping this makes us all snowbunnies.  🙂

Me too! Wake up to check. Lol, I am so bad...

• Like 4
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok... going out on a limb by creating this post, but I believe there is enough model justification to warrant it.  No guarantees! 😜 The models are all beginning to show threats for this time peri

Ok, I've been playing today. So for your viewing pleasure, we're going old school. Here's your "Local on the 8's" the way the Weather Channel USE to do it in the early 90's, and this is real live data

Ok folks... here are my thoughts about what is going on right now.  With such an active pattern, the models are totally worthless and of no help at all past 5 days, not even the ensembles. We're

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, DeeDee said:

GCPS teacher here too!!! Come on snow❄️❄️❄️

Man! They are coming out of the woodwork! :classic_biggrin: Very cool to see all of the GCPS teachers!!! Thank you! I was just telling my wife (sitting next to me and a Dacula Middle teacher) that soon we'll have all 24,000 GCPS employee's on board! 

• Like 3

Good Tuesday morning to everyone! Nothing earth shattering to report on from over night except that our foot of snow went away. That's ok though, our chance are coming. Right now you can expect the models to show some crazy solutions as they hunt back and forth trying to determine a solution. 

If you are an educator, and you are not in the "Educator" group (look under your avatar), let me know and I'll add you. No special prizes or treats (I know how you all work...! ) but I'd like to highlight those that dedicate their career in helping others learn. That's what I try to do here and I have the utmost respect for those that have the patience to work with kids. I spent 30 years in the education field as a technology person and not a teacher, and it wasn't until my last 10 years that I actually worked in a school. Working in a school and marrying a teachers opens your eyes to the trials and tribulations that teacher have to deal with. 

So thank you teachers for everything you do. I would be doing this today had it not been for the teachers that taught me everything I know. 

Now... back to the weather! 🙂

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Educator
2 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

More confirmations. 🙂 Now what have I been saying ALL ALONG? 😜

One thing I don’t like is how when a new low comes up it rides west and northwest of us eroding out cold air on many of the model runs. Obviously the exception being the 18Z GFS last night. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Bagsmom said:

Wx South just had an exciting post on Facebook.  Just his thoughts that this does, indeed, have the potential to be a memorable winter!

For those that want to read it, here is Robert's post on FB. In my opinion Robert is one of, if not the best meteorologist in the southeast. I started following Robert MANY years ago on the AmericanWX forum and later helped him setup his first paid site. If there is ever a question that I need answered, I can always go straight to him for advice. This post basically reiterates what I've been saying for a couple of months, but now the time has arrived. 

Hammer down! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Shannon said:

One thing I don’t like is how when a new low comes up it rides west and northwest of us eroding out cold air on many of the model runs. Obviously the exception being the 18Z GFS last night. 

Once the blocks are in place, that will change. At that point they will be forced south of us. That GFS was just a tease as to what the possibilities are. Deep cold and a raging subtropical jet... it's only a matter of time before the big one hits. I told Amy last night that all it would take is for one of those 18Z storms to hit, and everyone would be satisfied with winter. That is the type of potential this winter season holds.

• Like 3
  • Members

I think it is fun that so many teachers are on here!  Thank you to all of you!  We were talking the other day about the excitement and nervousness that fly through a school when winter weather threatens.  The staff feels it; the kids feel it.  There is an adrenaline rush, for sure.  Just last year, we had snow show up around lunchtime.  It wasn't supposed to be anything, but I looked out my window and saw it start to stick on the roads.  (Is the term "evaporative cooling" correct here?)  I texted my kids that I was coming to check them out.  I could see the writing on the wall.  I texted my husband, too, since he has a commute.  When I headed out my driveway, the mini-van pretty much went sledding down the hill -- that was scary, but thankfully, I didn't end up in the yard across the street.  It was getting dicey on the neighborhood roads.  When I got to the school, you could SMELL the excitement in the air.  I was glad I went when I did, because the short drive home was scary - but thrilling.  We barely made it back up our driveway.  

• Like 2
  • Educator
Just now, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Once the blocks are in place, that will change. At that point they will be forced south of us. That GFS was just a tease as to what the possibilities are. Deep cold and a raging subtropical jet... it's only a matter of time before the big one hits. I told Amy last night that all it would take is for one of those 18Z storms to hit, and everyone would be satisfied with winter. That is the type of potential this winter season holds.

If half of the 18z hit I would be satisfied 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Good Tuesday morning to everyone! Nothing earth shattering to report on from over night except that our foot of snow went away. That's ok though, our chance are coming. Right now you can expect the models to show some crazy solutions as they hunt back and forth trying to determine a solution. 

If you are an educator, and you are not in the "Educator" group (look under your avatar), let me know and I'll add you. No special prizes or treats (I know how you all work...! ) but I'd like to highlight those that dedicate their career in helping others learn. That's what I try to do here and I have the utmost respect for those that have the patience to work with kids. I spent 30 years in the education field as a technology person and not a teacher, and it wasn't until my last 10 years that I actually worked in a school. Working in a school and marrying a teachers opens your eyes to the trials and tribulations that teacher have to deal with. 

So thank you teachers for everything you do. I would be doing this today had it not been for the teachers that taught me everything I know. 

Steve, 

Another educator here, I'm a high school teacher in Rabun County. 

Thanks for all you do for us weather wise!

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Preston said:

Steve, 

Another educator here, I'm a high school teacher in Rabun County. 

Thanks for all you do for us weather wise!

Wow! That's awesome Preston! What subject do you teach? Got any openings? If we move up that way my wife will need a job! 🙂

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Wow! That's awesome Preston! What subject do you teach? Got any openings? If we move up that way my wife will need a job! 🙂

Social Studies (A.P World and U.S.), they are always looking for good folks but I don't know of anything specific right now. It's a great system and place to live though! 

Edited by Preston
  • Like 2
Just now, Preston said:

Social Studies (A.P World and U.S.), they are always looking for good folks but I don't know of anything specific right now. 

She's not HS certified anyway. She teaches or has taught 7-8 grade science and math. She's also a SPED teacher.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

I'm not a teacher by far but I have worked with the preschool program at a local daycare for years. I would spend my time getting them prepared to move on to the real teachers....you guys!

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, Dyan said:

I'm not a teacher by far but I have worked with the preschool program at a local daycare for years. I would spend my time getting them prepared to move on to the real teachers....you guys!

The preschool and pre k programs are some of the hardest to teach. Not only do you teach the building blocks , you teach the basics of life, from putting on coats to reading and math. Wide range of skills. We are real teachers. 

• Like 3