• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Winter Weather Potential - January 20-27

15 minutes ago, Chase said:

False alarm. I came across an app that was called NOAA Weather Radar, but after checking into it I realized only the radar is actually from NOAA, not the actual forecasts in the app. I got excited thinking they had finally made their own. 

I use mobile.weather.gov on my phone and have it saved on the home page. It works exactly like an app. And of course it is the official forecast. The nice thing is that it will use your phones GPS to display the correct forecast where ever you are at. 

While we're talking about that, I also use Radarscope on my phone. It's an app you would need to purchase, but it's the BEST radar app for a mobile device. I also pay a yearly subscription for additional features (maybe ~$9/year)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JenRay said:

Any more eye candy? Lol

Not yet. But we're seeing hints of some Gulf coast systems that may bring eye candy. 😉

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

I use mobile.weather.gov on my phone and have it saved on the home page. It works exactly like an app. And of course it is the official forecast. The nice thing is that it will use your phones GPS to display the correct forecast where ever you are at. 

While we're talking about that, I also use Radarscope on my phone. It's an app you would need to purchase, but it's the BEST radar app for a mobile device. I also pay a yearly subscription for additional features (maybe ~$9/year)

Great, I’ll look into it. Thanks. 

26 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

I'm on Android so I use Radarscope and Pykl3 along with several other weather related apps. 

Radarscope is good though. Have it on my laptop also. 

• Like 1

So I may have jinxed us, but I bought snow bibs for my boys! They were on clearance at Target for $10!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Scarinzi said:

I'm on Android so I use Radarscope and Pykl3 along with several other weather related apps. 

Radarscope is good though. Have it on my laptop also. 

I use GRlevel 3 and GR2 Analyst on my laptop

19 minutes ago, MGHoschton said:

So I may have jinxed us, but I bought snow bibs for my boys! They were on clearance at Target for $10!

Oh no, you did good. 🙂 

• Like 1

If anyone is interested in NWS forecasts available on your mobile, I use an app that uses data directly from their servers. Although I believe it's only available on Android at the moment. If you do have an Android you can check it out, overall it's pretty great! It's called NWS NOW

Screenshot_20190117-192825.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

I use GRlevel 3 and GR2 Analyst on my laptop

I've looked into those. A little pricey for me. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Athens said:

If anyone is interested in NWS forecasts available on your mobile, I use an app that uses data directly from their servers. Although I believe it's only available on Android at the moment. If you do have an Android you can check it out, overall it's pretty great! It's called NWS NOW

Screenshot_20190117-192825.jpg

That’s really cool. I know android is a lot more accepting of 3rd party app developers so that makes sense. For now I’m stuck in Apples world but looking to maybe upgrade to Pixel soon so I’ll have to remember that.

I like what I see on the Euro for the 27th. All the upper air features are good and the upper level low is making it's own cold air to boot. 

Of course that doesn't mean it will be there tomorrow. :classic_dry:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

I like what I see on the Euro for the 27th. All the upper air features are good and the upper level low is making it's own cold air to boot. 

Of course that doesn't mean it will be there tomorrow. :classic_dry:

Can’t even imagine how exited it’d be on here if we ever get a look like that inside 100 hours....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Can’t even imagine how exited it’d be on here if we ever get a look like that inside 100 hours....

Yeah I would be estatic and freaking out... haha

Edited by Shannon
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, GroceryStoreMan said:

So 100 hours out is about 4 days right? I assume also that's when the shorter and more accurate models come into play

First Hi-Res. models come into play at 84 hours, but their skill is much higher inside 48. 100-120 hours right now is just about as far as I would trust a model like GFS or Euro for small details like a storm. Beyond that the run to run variability is too high due to the complex nature of the pattern flip.

• Like 1

A little late to the party, but I strongly suggest everyone get RadarScope. It's the real deal! Real time ACTUAL radar that's not color coded to give you the "gist" of what's happening. Correlation coeffiency to digital vertically integrated liquid, it has everything!  Even the free version is a 10/10 for me. I pay for tier 2 and it's amazing! I dont pay for many weather tools, but that is one I'll gladly pay for. (I'd pay for this one, too)

I'm not very knowledgeable on the dynamics of winter weather, (ironically enough being from Michigan) but come summer storms I rely solely on RadarScope.

But anyway, let's get some snow!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, SlicNic13 said:

A little late to the party, but I strongly suggest everyone get RadarScope. It's the real deal! Real time ACTUAL radar that's not color coded to give you the "gist" of what's happening. Correlation coeffiency to digital vertically integrated liquid, it has everything!  Even the free version is a 10/10 for me. I pay for tier 2 and it's amazing! I dont pay for many weather tools, but that is one I'll gladly pay for. (I'd pay for this one, too)

I'm not very knowledgeable on the dynamics of winter weather, (ironically enough being from Michigan) but come summer storms I rely solely on RadarScope.

But anyway, let's get some snow!

RadarScope is awesome!!! I got it about 2 years ago and i use it every time there’s rain and or a tornado somewhere. 

• Like 1

Nice trends on both the GFS and Euro for around the 24th. Secondary wave developing at the base of the trough is showing up that hadn't been there on runs from a few days ago. Totally track dependent, if it's far enough east some of us could see snow from it. It's a long shot probably, but could get interesting if the trends keep heading that direction.

Edit: And a nice snow event at the end of the run as well that I hadn't got to yet.

• Like 1

6z GFS looking really good for NC especially, for this system! Should trend colder!

LOL! Remember the low that  I liked so much last night. Watch this. 12Z run from yesterday, and today's 00Z run. The low goes from TX to Canada in one run. And people wonder why they aren't seeing any winter storms... 😜 The operational models are WORTHLESS right now.