• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Winter Weather Potential - January 20-27

3 minutes ago, TheSimpleMan said:

Dang, even Glenn Burns is showing the possibility of snow next weekend. Over a week out! Very unlike Glenn....

Where did you see/hear that?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Wendy4 said:

Where did you see/hear that?

On his Facebook page. Posted an hour ago. He prefaced it with "Don't hold me to this", but still unlike him lol. 

• Like 5

To much cold will lead to the gulf stream drying up :(

Edited by Eddy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nice big jump in snowfall on EPS for Blairsville from 0z to 12z. Especially on the higher end of the ensemble envelope, which means ensembles starting to identify chances at not only snow but big snow.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, TheSimpleMan said:

Dang, even Glenn Burns is showing the possibility of snow next weekend. Over a week out! Very unlike Glenn....

Its serious now!!! Lol. 😂🤣😂🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

👀👀👀ima just saunter on down to the store and go ahead and get my bread and milk now... you know, for my milk sammiches. 👀👀👀 😂😂😂😂😂😂

just kidding. But for real... prob going to start prepping this week. Just in case! Won’t be caught off guard this time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

But in the week leading up to Christmas, forecasters foresaw an episode of the Siberian Express unfolding. Dramatic predictions of intense cold diving all the way to the Gulf Coast dominated the headlines. On the morning of Tuesday, December 21, 1989, a powerful 1052 millibar high was over southern Saskatchewan. At Swift Current, the thermometer read -39F and the barometer 1053.2 millibars. Arctic air was plunging south behind a cold front that was pushing through Memphis. In Birmingham, it was 42F. In Memphis, it was 19F. By the morning of the 22nd, the mercury stood at 15F at Birmingham. It never got any higher that day. By midnight, the mercury would be down to 4F. It was -3F in Memphis and -10F in Nashville that cold morning.
https://www.alabamawx.com/?p=4630

December of 1989 featured several surges of Arctic air into the central and eastern United States beginning around mid month and lasting until Christmas. This Arctic outbreak was a historic event, with many locations establishing monthly or all-time record lows. Sub-freezing temperatures extended across much of the southeast U.S. with considerable damage to citrus crops in Florida and south Texas (newspaper reports indicated "nearly total destruction" of the citrus industry across the north half of Florida). Dallas had $25 million damage caused by broken water pipes that froze in the cold, along with subsequent production losses due to failures at manufacturing plants. Many other locations across the southeast U.S. had damage from frozen pipes as well. The cold weather resulted in snow and sleet falling as far south as central Florida just before Christmas, and parts of northern Florida had its first White Christmas on record. As an area of low pressure moved northeast across Florida, the cold weather resulted in the largest snowstorm in history on the southeast U.S. coast, with totals in excess of a foot along the Atlantic coast of North and South Carolina.

Some of the coldest weather occurred from the 21st through the 23rd.  The image at right shows the surface map from the morning of the 22nd. A massive high pressure area (central pressure of 1055 millibars or 31.15 inches) had settled into the central Plains, where temperatures in Nebraska were as low as -42F at Scottsbluff and -39F at Valentine. (Note that a massive warmup followed in the Nebraska panhandle, with highs the next day in the lower 40s!) By the next morning, temperatures were in the single digits as far south as Houston. Freezing temperatures occurred as far south as Miami on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day (even Key West, Florida, tied its December record low of 44 degrees).

Across central Illinois, most areas saw temperatures bottom out colder than 20 below zero on the 22nd and 23rd (see map below). Wind chills in parts of the state ranged from 50 to 60 below zero (near 40 below zero using the current wind chill scale).

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LHarkins913 said:

👀👀👀ima just saunter on down to the store and go ahead and get my bread and milk now... you know, for my milk sammiches. 👀👀👀 😂😂😂😂😂😂

just kidding. But for real... prob going to start prepping this week. Just in case! Won’t be caught off guard this time!

I'm making sure I always have cheese and crackers, stuff for PBJs, and lots of snack foods.  I'm always prepped for my coffee habit in emergencies, whether it's summer storm power outages or loss of power from winter stuff.  I have my French press, a camp stove (with propane pods), to boil the water, and dry powdered creamer.  MUST.  HAVE.  COFFEE.

Is it OK to ask here - or too off topic -- what does everyone have on hand for the possibility of ice or big snow?  We have our battery operated lanterns, gas fireplace, food, COFFEE, smallish generator to keep the heat going and to power the frig and freezer, COFFEE, a gas can for the generator...  Oh - and coffee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Even at 10 days out that kind of cold is something I don’t recall ever seeing on a model. Clayton’s record low is -16 and I never expected to see even a model approach that territory so I’ll admit, I’m stunned at the potential cold lol

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Bagsmom said:

I'm making sure I always have cheese and crackers, stuff for PBJs, and lots of snack foods.  I'm always prepped for my coffee habit in emergencies, whether it's summer storm power outages or loss of power from winter stuff.  I have my French press, a camp stove (with propane pods), to boil the water, and dry powdered creamer.  MUST.  HAVE.  COFFEE.

Is it OK to ask here - or too off topic -- what does everyone have on hand for the possibility of ice or big snow?  We have our battery operated lanterns, gas fireplace, food, COFFEE, smallish generator to keep the heat going and to power the frig and freezer, COFFEE, a gas can for the generator...  Oh - and coffee.

Firewood! Tons of it. Last year when Paulding got 13”, I ended up unprepared. I knew we’d get more than the “dusting” they were calling for, but then we lost power for 60 hours. We had gas logs at that time so not much heat output. Both my kids were SICK it was AWFUL. 

Had a cord of firewood delivered this week, im gonna stock up on canned goods, and be prepared to stash meat and whatnot in the snow. I have 3 coolers ready to go if need be, and I’m gonna go ahead and grab a couple more cases of water. My kids drink a lot of juicy juice so I might get a case of that extra as well. 

We have a propane AND charcoal grill as well if we need it... and sooooo many blankets now. I’m not going to be unprepared this time!!!!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bagsmom said:

I have a 3.5 kw dual fuel generator that can run propane or gas (although I've never used it with gas). I have 4 regular grill type propane tanks and a 100 lb tank, so I'm pretty good for power. Famous last words. I have lots of LED flashlights and small lamps, and a 1500 watt heater that the generator powers. I even have enough power for the internet and the fish aquarium. As far as coffee... the generator tripped when I tried to use the Keurig so nuking a cup of instant will suffice. 😉 We have two freezers in the garage, so I don't worry about that food during the winter, so we have plenty that we can microwave. Most outages are relatively short, but during Irma, I lost power for 48 hours.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LHarkins913 said:

Firewood! Tons of it. Last year when Paulding got 13”, I ended up unprepared. I knew we’d get more than the “dusting” they were calling for, but then we lost power for 60 hours. We had gas logs at that time so not much heat output. Both my kids were SICK it was AWFUL. 

Had a cord of firewood delivered this week, im gonna stock up on canned goods, and be prepared to stash meat and whatnot in the snow. I have 3 coolers ready to go if need be, and I’m gonna go ahead and grab a couple more cases of water. My kids drink a lot of juicy juice so I might get a case of that extra as well. 

We have a propane AND charcoal grill as well if we need it... and sooooo many blankets now. I’m not going to be unprepared this time!!!!

That's what I need, what did a cord cost you?

• Like 2

Oh my 18z GFS dropping the hammer a day later than the 12z EURO. Also has snow in the gulf 😳😩

Edited by Shannon
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Shannon said:

Oh my 18z GFS dropping the hammer a day later than the 12z EURO 😳😩

Yep, both models now showing surface temps below -10 in the mountains. Incredible.... I'm absolutely pulling for a big snow before or after that, but the weather geek in me would be nearly as happy seeing just this arctic outbreak. This is truly a historic cold outbreak if the models are anywhere close to being right.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Yep, both models now showing surface temps below -10 in the mountains. Incredible.... I'm absolutely pulling for a big snow before or after that, but the weather geek in me would be nearly as happy seeing just this arctic outbreak. This is truly a historic cold outbreak if the models are anywhere close to being right.

Yeah I’m with you! For me and my weather history it would be the coldest I’ve ever experienced by far. Still can’t beat a good snow tho!

• Like 6

Hi Everyone! 

Thanks for making me become #obsessed with weather this week! I always love a good storm, winter or summer and I blame all of you for my new obsession. It's been a fun week trying to teach myself what you all are talking about. Your explanations make it much easier to understand! Just wanted to give you a proper "thank you" from a newbie! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Verbatim the GFS just showed the N GA mountains going through a longer than 48 hour stretch of the temperature not going above 10 degrees..... 😮

Absolutely insane. That would be incredibly dangerous for North Georgia. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shannon said:

Absolutely insane. That would be incredibly dangerous for North Georgia. 

No doubt. Lots of pipes would need replacing if that were to come to pass. I remember a piece that Rabun Counties historical society put in our local newspaper a few years back that I wish I could find. But it was pictures from a historic arctic outbreak maybe in the 60's or earlier, and some of the pictures were of people riding their motorcycles across a frozen Lake Burton. I'd imagine if the models are right we could see similar conditions.

• Like 1