• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Winter Weather Potential - January 20-27

When I said I wanted winter weather, below zero temperatures is definitely not what I meant. I am supposed to be heading out of town on Jan. 30 and according to the GFS it is going to be -11 here in the mountains that morning. I know it is still far out, but it is still crazy that the potential for that much cold is showing on both models. It it would be very dangerous if that ends up being true.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Laura said:

Hi Everyone! 

Thanks for making me become #obsessed with weather this week! I always love a good storm, winter or summer and I blame all of you for my new obsession. It's been a fun week trying to teach myself what you all are talking about. Your explanations make it much easier to understand! Just wanted to give you a proper "thank you" from a newbie! 

Welcome!!! Don't worry that you don't understand some of it, it will come with time. You joined at just the right time! 

• Like 2

Here's the 18Z GFS on Tuesday, 1 pm... so basically high temperatures.

gfs_t2m_b_atl_45-18.thumb.png.696536b4f2986663e9a32edc1ccf817c.png

These are the temperature anomalies, some 40 degrees below normal.

gfs_t2m_a_f_atl_45-18.thumb.png.ac6f7815e978d011922e93d17243f709.png

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Here's the 18Z GFS on Tuesday, 1 pm... so basically high temperatures.

gfs_t2m_b_atl_45-18.thumb.png.696536b4f2986663e9a32edc1ccf817c.png

These are the temperature anomalies, some 40 degrees below normal.

gfs_t2m_a_f_atl_45-18.thumb.png.ac6f7815e978d011922e93d17243f709.png

Little chilly

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shannon said:

So are we taking bets as to if this is on the 0z models?!

It will all change, but I'm leaning it will still be there, at least on the Euro, the GFS will flip like a fish out of water.  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I understand that the dangers with this cold of weather are pipes bursting and the unfortunate homeless. But what other dangers are there to keep in mind? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JenRay said:

I understand that the dangers with this cold of weather are pipes bursting and the unfortunate homeless. But what other dangers are there to keep in mind? 

Pets and an increased load on the electrical system that can cause transformer failures. In addition, if it gets that cold, schools will close. Many old schools can't keep up in terms of heating plus kids can't be standing out at bus stops in those temps. Car batteries that are weak will quit working. People that haven't kept their vehicles coolant fresh may freeze their engine. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JenRay said:

I think the biggest danger to people is losing power. It's one thing to lose power when it's 32 degrees, but single digits would be extremely dangerous. And that's another thing, you should fill up your vehicles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’m happy people are thinking about the dangers of the cold ahead! Right now is the time to prepare!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Shannon said:

I’m happy people are thinking about the dangers of the cold ahead! Right now is the time to prepare!

True

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

I think the biggest danger to people is losing power. It's one thing to lose power when it's 32 degrees, but single digits would be extremely dangerous. And that's another thing, you should fill up your vehicles. 

Also people that don't use fuel heaters properly and fill their homes with carbon monoxide.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Foots said:

Also people that don't use fuel heaters properly and fill their homes with carbon monoxide.

Yep! I’m sure as the time gets closer and if this forecast becomes anywhere close to verifying the news will be all over it. 

• Like 1

WXSOUTH just updated on Facebook and said it could be a time to remember. This is coming from a man with experience and a lot of knowledge when it comes to the south and weather. It gets me really, really excited to say the least. 

• Like 5

Just a public service announcement that if anyone wants to see some eye candy winter storms, at least from Atlanta or so north, go check out the 18z FV3. It’s out there in time but man they are nice back to back storms lol

• Like 2

I'm loving the idea of snow but not so much this life threatening cold if the models aren't over performing so hopefully it doesn't end up being that frigid.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Just a public service announcement that if anyone wants to see some eye candy winter storms, at least from Atlanta or so north, go check out the 18z FV3. It’s out there in time but man they are nice back to back storms lol

I noticed that. Was hoping if I didn’t mention it that it may happen haha 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

^ This! If you have to commute somewhere, being stuck in your vehicle is no joke during extreme cold. My wife and I were stranded up around 2000' in Gatlinburg during a snow storm with our daughter. It was dumb and we shouldn't have been where we were given the weather. We were in a 4wd Land Rover with Goodyear Durtracs and an ARB locking system and we still lost traction on a mountain coming back down from sight seeing at around 6:00pm.

We were able to get fire/rescue on the phone, but were told that they were unsure if anyone would be able to get up to us that night due to the weather. They told us to prepare to spend the night in the vehicle.... which with an infant daughter, one clean diaper and no bottle is a horrifying prospect. Thankfully, we had a full tank of gas and were able to keep the vehicle running on and off for heat until two kids from Sevierville Volunteer Rescue were able to come get us at around 11:30pm in a beater suburban. They also picked up another young couple on the way back into town who had slide into a ditch lower down the mountain while trying to get out of their cabin and off the mountain before they got snowed in. Those two were on foot, in the snow, and dragging their luggage.

While we were extremely grateful, it was kinda surreal being rescued by two young stoners who were chatting about having the munchies while causally navigating a foot of snow on icy mountain roads.

*Moral of the story is to be prepared if you have to be out on the road in bad weather, and to not assume you have more skill than you actually possess*

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, firefighter556 said:

Now David Chanley is talking snow. Lol it must going to happen. He said that it could be hell on Super Bowl Sunday. 

I just saw that too!!! Bout time!

• Like 2

That is some serious cold, even for this cold-hearted former yankee (grew up in New Hampshire).

If you have an uninsulated crawlspace through which pipes run (I do), wrap your pipes and drip all the taps inside your house.  Open sink cabinet doors, especially in plumbing that runs through exterior walls.  Either shut off your external faucets from a valve inside the basement or wrap them in the insulated faucet socks (you can get these at a hardware store for a few bucks).  If all the pipe sock is gone when you get there, even wrapping your pipes in newspaper helps.

Another old yankee trick is to replace any light fixtures in uninsulated crawlspaces with old-school bulbs - believe it or not, that little bit of heat can make all the difference.

Probably not a terrible idea to know how to shut off all of your plumbing... all bets are off if the power goes out.  Here for questions...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1