• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Winter Weather Potential - January 20-27

Good Morning group.  I am back.  Little wet down in Douglas Ga and windy, but it was beautiful Saturday almost all day till about 7 pm...  No bad weather, much just a special weather statement about 10 that night...

Steve are we still looking for a huge cold snap about the last week of this month or has the Euro backed off of that?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RickyD said:

Good Morning group.  I am back.  Little wet down in Douglas Ga and windy, but it was beautiful Saturday almost all day till about 7 pm...  No bad weather, much just a special weather statement about 10 that night...

Steve are we still looking for a huge cold snap about the last week of this month or has the Euro backed off of that?

Not zero degree temps, but still below normal cold

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mountainbuck said:

What exactly is he trying to communicate by the tweet reference ton’93?

Stormy active pattern i would think with arctic cold available...  Also phasing of storms possible?

Edited by RickyD
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mountainbuck said:

What exactly is he trying to communicate by the tweet reference ton’93?

We he is saying is that the upcoming pattern, is very similar to the one that created the Storm of The Century. The problem is that storms like that require perfect timing with all the pieces in order to grow that strong. So I don't think he's saying that is going to happen, but instead saying that if you had perfect timing in this pattern, you could have a super sized storm. The extremes are on the table. 

• Like 3

Also... I know it's two weeks out, but I recall an ice storm in 2000 when ATL hosted the Superbowl. With this pattern in place, it will be interesting to see what happens come Superbowl LIII!😮

• Like 3

I will be 59 in March.  After Camille, i thought we would never see a storm like her.  We lived in Mobile and escaped  a lot of her wrath as she came in on the Ms Coast....  But then came ANDREW.  Katrina.....  1993, they called the storm of the century, but Sandy came along in 2012 and proved it can happen again.   April 27th 2011 , a day i will never forget...... A one time event, but 2013  came along and though it was nothing like 2011 EL RENO happened and we lost some good people that day....

My point is we need to pay attention to the signs..  Almost nobody believed the models in 1993...  Impossible most said..  We all know the story of Atlanta's own  Glenn Burns.

• Like 3

I will be 59 in March.  After Camille, i thought we would never see a storm like her.  We lived in Mobile and escaped  a lot of her wrath as she came in on the Ms Coast....  But then came ANDREW.  Katrina.....  1993, they called the storm of the century, but Sandy came along in 2012 and proved it can happen again.   April 27th 2011 , a day i will never forget...... A one time event, but 2013  came along and though it was nothing like 2011 EL RENO happened and we lost some good people that day....

My point is we need to pay attention to the signs..  Almost nobody believed the models in 1993...  Impossible most said..  We all know the story of Atlanta's own  Glenn Burns.

What did Glenn do?!

• Like 1

The 1993 Storm of the Century marked a milestone in the weather forecasting of the United States. By March 8, 1993, several operational numerical weather prediction models and medium-range forecasters at the United States National Weather Service recognized the threat of a significant snowstorm. This marked the first time National Weather Service meteorologists were able to predict accurately a system's severity five days in advance. Official blizzard warnings were issued two days before the storm arrived, as shorter-range models began to confirm the predictions. Forecasters were finally confident enough of the computer-forecast models to support decisions by several northeastern states to declare a State of Emergency even before the snow started to fall.

11 minutes ago, K8T8 said:

Also... I know it's two weeks out, but I recall an ice storm in 2000 when ATL hosted the Superbowl. With this pattern in place, it will be interesting to see what happens come Superbowl LIII!😮

We already know the patriots will win it again..... as for the weather? Who knows 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

There was no one that i know in the south or in NWS that predicted more than just a few inches of snow for many places outside of the mountains.  I know there in Bham watching Spann and seeing the tape so many times since then that they were only calling for a few inches and lows in the 30's to start with.....  They did not believe the phasing part....  It was just something ( like Glenn Burns said) they could afford as Public servants to risk panicking the public .... So at 1st they did not forecast that..  It was not until the pressures continued to drop and temps continues to fall and snow continued to drop lower and lower into the states that they changed the forecasts and advisories....

• Like 1

There was no one that i know in the south or in NWS that predicted more than just a few inches of snow for many places outside of the mountains.  I know there in Bham watching Spann and seeing the tape so many times since then that they were only calling for a few inches and lows in the 30's to start with.....  They did not believe the phasing part....  It was just something ( like Glenn Burns said) they could afford as Public servants to risk panicking the public .... So at 1st they did not forecast that..  It was not until the pressures continued to drop and temps continues to fall and snow continued to drop lower and lower into the states that they changed the forecasts and advisories....

I lived in Clearwater Florida at the time of the Storm of the Century.  The flooding was unreal, In places that had never flooded before.  Also the lightening was crazy, my Dad owned some stores in a strip mall, lightening struck the building caught it on fire and then the flood waters came in and the fire fighters had to retreat.  Vivid memories of that storm.

I am not trained in weather predictions, so take this as an opinion only.... we are due for something like that storm.  Not that it is this year, but just a reminder to us from Mother nature of who's boss:).

• Like 4

Just now, Mountainbuck said:

When is our next big model run ?

Coming in now. GFS puts the system WAY south and the Canadian isn’t to far off. However the Canadian brings the freezer. 

During the blizzard of '93, we were in living in Lilburn.  The day before the storm hit, my husband's brother and 5 of his friends from college were traveling through Atlanta in a motorhome and stopped to visit us.  They ended up staying the weekend with us deciding not to travel back to PA until the storm had passed.  We lost our electricity for most of the weekend, and by the time it was over, I'll bet I did not have a piece of dried pasta left in my pantry after feeding that crowd :-)  I was grateful for my gas range and water heater.  If you can cook something on your stove and take a hot shower, life is good even without electricity :-)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shannon said:

Coming in now. GFS puts the system WAY south and the Canadian isn’t to far off. However the Canadian brings the freezer. 

Would that setup be good for snow in NE GA?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonE5 said:

Would that setup be good for snow in NE GA?

Could be if the timing was right, as usual haha

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Ham360 said:

I lived in Clearwater Florida at the time of the Storm of the Century.  The flooding was unreal, In places that had never flooded before.  Also the lightening was crazy, my Dad owned some stores in a strip mall, lightening struck the building caught it on fire and then the flood waters came in and the fire fighters had to retreat.  Vivid memories of that storm.

I am not trained in weather predictions, so take this as an opinion only.... we are due for something like that storm.  Not that it is this year, but just a reminder to us from Mother nature of who's boss:).

Ha! I grew up in Tampa and was Eckerd College during that storm. Before the campus was closed we took a friend's camaro over to St. Pete Beach to play in the surf. We ended up having to push the camaro through water back to the 54th S. bridge because the tide came in so quickly. Ended up crashing with about 12 people back at my folk's place in Tarpon Springs for a couple of days. Good times!

• Like 2