• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Winter Weather Potential - January 20-27

It's snowing here in Marietta near Dobbins.  It's a light, mushy snow, but it's snow.  Anyone want it?  Come get it!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Pictures would be great guys!

I just gave it a shot, but its too small to pick up with my phone as it falls.  It melts immediately.  The sun looks like it is trying to pop out a bit, so I expect this little anomaly to end here in a moment.  

1 hour ago, AlKhamsa said:

It's snowing here in Marietta near Dobbins.  It's a light, mushy snow, but it's snow.  Anyone want it?  Come get it!

Bah! Im clise to sprayberry highschool and nothing! I keep thinking i see it in my peripheral vision and look up and theres nothing.

Snow removal is underway in n Georgia.  Safety 1st!!   lol

DxrzqnjVAAESBN8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, HiTekRedNek said:

Can someone simplify this for us weather newbies?

The first image shows the tropospheric polar vortex and lobes or spokes that bring very cold air.

The 2nd image shows the future storms that will impact us in the east later on.

1 hour ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Pictures would be great guys!

Can only upload 1.95mb. Not sure how to reduce my pics 😞

Hold on, let me fix that.

1 minute ago, kimlovell7 said:

3 minutes ago, kimlovell7 said:

Try again. There is a 4 mb limit now

33 minutes ago, HiTekRedNek said:

Bah! Im clise to sprayberry highschool and nothing! I keep thinking i see it in my peripheral vision and look up and theres nothing.

I didn't notice it from my office window - my forklift guy came in and told me.  I had to see for myself, so went out for a moment,  It was very light, and wet. It's since passed - lasted all of 3-5 minutes, but what a weird weather morning!  

• Like 1

How is the 12z Euro looking?  GFS and CMC are pretty solid on next Tuesday / Wednesday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12z GFS is bringing a much stronger high next week with a sharp gradient from the Rockies eastward, and that means colder temps. This would be next Thursday 7 am.

gfs_t2m_b_atl_29-24.png

• Like 3

Just now, Andrew said:

How is the 12z Euro looking?  GFS and CMC are pretty solid on next Tuesday / Wednesday.

Hasn't started running yet. However, here is an excellent free website to see the EURO when it runs!

https://weather.us/

2 minutes ago, Shannon said:

Hasn't started running yet. However, here is an excellent free website to see the EURO when it runs!

https://weather.us/

Copy that, Thank you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Give me a few minutes for the GFS ensembles to finish

• Like 2

So I think that some, especially NW GA, stand a very slim chance for maybe some light snow with the clipper on Monday, if it can dig far enough south. And that’s a big if. Now, with Tuesday’s frontal snow, I’m not gonna sit here and say that it is impossible. It’s not perfect but it can happen. Again, the more NW you are the better I’d feel about avoiding downsloping. It is critical that the system stays weak and very positive tilt though. If it gets amplified like yesterday’s storm then it will flood us with warm air. 

As far as looking ahead, this is what I hope to see start showing up more. From the 6z GFS4F542269-D978-4D61-B103-4AE5AB29140E.thumb.png.4a267615ca3e059700806941d45ef0ae.png

A southern stream piece of energy sliding in under the ridge out west and tracking due east. This is the easiest thing to work with for us. All we need is some marginal high pressures to keep its track suppressed and the cold air around and we have something. Also last nights Euro had an interesting piece of energy down in the gulf that gave the Florida panhandle some snow. It’s suppressed but it’s the only model showing that energy there, so if it’s on to something that at least gives us potential for an early phase and a big gulf storm. Probably just a one run anomaly, but at this point I’m grasping at every straw that shows up lol.

• Like 2

That would definitely be the coldest air of the season.  Look at the  dew points!

imageproxy.php.png

19 minutes ago, RickyD said:

For Next Wed....

imageproxy.php.png

Gwinnett County is very SAD!!!!