• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Winter Weather Potential - January 20-27

15 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Not gonna call just 1-2 runs a trend but, that is definitely a step in the right direction.

Baby step.... baby steps..... with the hope that the baby falls off the step and tumbles all the way down into the cold white stuff.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Going to get my snow boots and sled ready!!

• Like 3

GFS has moved the low pressure center on the 20th a little bit further south with each run today. Still not where we need it, but just maybe this is a trend that we can hang on to. I hope everyone is ready for the model roller coaster cause it might be long wild ride over the next few weeks! 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

I don’t think this weekends system works out. Looks like we are hoping for wrap around which isn’t the best for us. Very unfortunate that we are washing a lot of moisture with it! Maybe next week tho!

• Like 1

The first system in a pattern change rarely works out, simply because the pattern is not fully in place. I do expect the following systems to work out better though. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

The first system in a pattern change rarely works out, simply because the pattern is not fully in place. I do expect the following systems to work out better though. 

Yeah I was thinking of it more as setting the stage!

• Like 1

Man talk about a Monday for ya. I checked my weather and saw snow for the weekend and it said watching for potential winter storm. Thats when I realized it was running for Washington DC and not Buford GA......

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Jeff9702 said:

Man talk about a Monday for ya. I checked my weather and saw snow for the weekend and it said watching for potential winter storm. Thats when I realized it was running for Washington DC and not Buford GA......

I did something like that yesterday. I was looking at the weather forecast on my website, and forgot I changed the selection to Griffin instead of Dacula. I was wondering why the NWS missed my forecast so bad. 🙂 Then I realized... 

• Like 2

Bastardi

I want you to remember that there is only one winter with a hyper MJO in a weak Modoki and that is 1978. You are treading on rare ground and from what I see this is trying to go to the kind of extreme ( I don't know if it gets all the way to it) that we saw that winter

Again I may be delusional but we shall see.

• Like 2

Bastardi a minute ago

To me it makes sense to look for a trough to split coming to the east coast this weekend and with arctic air pouring in, even if a center is coming up, a new low should develop further south on the front with snow and ice to the west of the track which may be off the mid Atlantic or Carolinas

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Bastardi a minute ago

I really hope he isn’t delusional. We need a good storm!

• Like 5

Heard the latest few runs of EURO and GFS have taken away all snow chances for next week.  Do you see the same trends?

So over this cold rain.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, matt40 said:

Heard the latest few runs of EURO and GFS have taken away all snow chances for next week.  Do you see the same trends?

So over this cold rain.

DO NOT watch the operational model runs. Now, this upcoming weekend will likely not be a winter weather event for us, it's after that when our chances start.

• Like 3

Just now, Mountainbuck said:

New to the site! Excited to follow the information! 

Welcome...  Glad to have you.  You arrived at a good time.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mountainbuck said:

Welcome! You came to a great site for weather!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Let me emphasize that DO NOT LOOK PAST 3-4 DAYS ON THE OPERATIONAL RUNS RIGHT NOW. 

No joke. For all practical purposes they are currently worthless and they won't get better until the pattern settles in. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Mountainbuck said:

Welcome! It's gonna be fun!

• Like 1