• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Winter Weather Potential - January 20-27

-63c  -81.4 F Oymyakon, Yakutia, Russia

Dw4CjdqUUAAWW-z.jpg

Edited by RickyD
  • Like 1

EURO bringing the freezer to start the week next week! Last time it got that cold I think they delayed schools. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shannon said:

EURO bringing the freezer to start the week next week! Last time it got that cold I think they delayed schools. 

7 am Monday

ecmwf_t2m_atl_29-14.thumb.png.313b199a5fe4e6a0967fea7dbd0d62a0.png

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Shannon said:

One year they cancelled school for a day! 🤞 

• Like 2

So am I wrong in thinking this is still step down processes to the full pattern flip even after the 20th and the full flip and lock in looks after 25th-28th? First step coming after the 20th with western ridge building to deliver cold into the lower 48, however there is no blocking at that point so its rather transient and is gone after a couple days. The subsequent steps is each wave helping to push the Western Atlantic Ridge up into the Greenland region to finally allow the pattern to lock in. I suspect the Western Atlantic Ridge is also the culprit for the storms consistently cutting NE so quick early in the period, because it's forcing the troughs to be centered just too far west.

GEFS is a good example of the evolution I'm alluding to. Notice the 20th system starts to force the ridging up towards Greenland, but the ridge does recover some after it. Then the next waves roll in and fully establishes the Greenland block and locks the pattern in for the rest of the run.gfs-ens_z500aNorm_namer_fh138-312.thumb.gif.0cb9e14db7db88a83081d5bf334fa08e.gif

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RickyD said:

-63c  -81.4 F

Dw4CjdqUUAAWW-z.jpg

Yea, I know that posted at least 6 days ago, so not sure when that was taken. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

7 am Monday

ecmwf_t2m_atl_29-14.thumb.png.313b199a5fe4e6a0967fea7dbd0d62a0.png

Mannnnnnnn BRRRRRRR.... I don’t think I can get out of bed with those temps! Lol

• Like 2

Long time follower, first time poster. Steve, I am also in Dacula and also work for GCPS. Got my first weather station for Christmas (very simple model) but enjoy it. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DawgFanInDacula said:

Long time follower, first time poster. Steve, I am also in Dacula and also work for GCPS. Got my first weather station for Christmas (very simple model) but enjoy it. 

What kind did you get?  I've been wanting one. 

Edited by Wendy4
  • Like 2

Just now, Wendy4 said:

What kind did you get?  I've been wanted one. 

I'm not really sure. I was hoping for a more advanced one. This one gives temp (min and max for the day as well), dew point, heat index, and also tries to predict the forecast ( based on pressure, I think). It's a good basic one

• Like 2

I’ve always been curious about splurging on a home weather station, but I live less than a half mile from one of the UGA stations so I can never convince myself to go through with it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DawgFanInDacula said:

VERY awesome!!! Love to see all the teachers on here, and especially the Gwinnett folks! Also love to hear about another person getting a weather station! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

I’ve always been curious about splurging on a home weather station, but I live less than a half mile from one of the UGA stations so I can never convince myself to go through with it.

I have a Davis VP2 Plus at the house. I started out with a Davis Vantage Vue which ran for about 8 years before I got my new one. I still have the Vue and need to send it back to Davis for a refurbish because I'd like to use it as a portable weather station. If anyone has any questions about home weather stations, I'm more than happen to answer them!

Here's my current station

20170514_071205.thumb.jpg.0694882d3acea0ff82937c6235295da8.jpg

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XBLb4EggsRogeNAb6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oqe1I2F3cjUrhgdl1

• Like 4

It’s cool how anyone can look at your own personal weather station by downloading the app...PWS Personal Weather Station in the App Store or google play 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Guess I’m gonna need to work on my patience 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yep, without perfect timing or maybe strong CAD for some, that pesky Atlantic ridge overlapping the coast is going to ruin any chances of snow at least until past the 25th unless it’s modeled wrong. Frustrating.... cause the storm track is lowering, but the storms are just gonna climb right over head instead of off the east coast. Louisiana May see snow before we do. The cold however is coming either way, and will be very cold.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shannon said:

Guess I’m gonna need to work on my patience 😅

It will suddenly make itself known out of the chaos. :classic_biggrin: You'll wake up one morning and look at the models and lo and behold.... there it will be. That's one reason I like tracking winter weather. ❄️ Full of surprises, nothing cut and dry, and increased difficulty to forecast. 🙂

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

It will suddenly make itself known out of the chaos. :classic_biggrin: You'll wake up one morning and look at the models and lo and behold.... there it will be. That's one reason I like tracking winter weather. ❄️ Full of surprises, nothing cut and dry, and increased difficulty to forecast. 🙂

Yeah so I guess I shouldn’t have looked at the 18z GFS lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shannon said:

Yeah so I guess I shouldn’t have looked at the 18z GFS lol

Perfect example of perfect timing lol. That ridge is still there, but the high moves across in tandem and keeps the storm from cutting. First perfect eye candy run of the winter.

• Like 1