• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Suggestions and Issues

Just a FYI... on the main menu, if you click on DaculaWeather.com, another menu opens up below that and you'll see likes to the Area Forecast Discussions for Atlanta and Greenville-Spatanburg NWS offices.

Snap56.png.8605f897e4d7c84f083dcf7f60ce7869.png

Ok guys, you all comment and chat all day long on Facebook, I haven't had a single comment here YET. ? I want some conversations going on here! ?

And you do know you CAN make your own post, if I don't answer it, someone most certainly will (well... ONCE people start talking. ? ). Everyone contributes, everyone joins in. 

Time to get started... ? 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 6:05 AM, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Please use this post to let me know of any issues or suggestions you might have 

I think the site looks great and I haven't ran into any issues at all. I'm still learning my way around, clicking on everything to see where it takes me so if I see anything I will let you know. Thank you for all you do here to keep us informed!!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jsweatheri said:

Thank you for updating the amount of "likes" allowed in one day. I also enjoy where you can easily see unread content. 

Not a problem. Those are the little options that you don't think about until someone can't do it! ? Thanks for following Jason!

• Like 1

Hey Steve! You asked for some feedback this morning regarding where the link you posted to the AFD took people on your sight. I'll be honest I am not sure what happened when I clicked on that link. I was using an iphone and it opened your site to the AFD however, two seconds after the page opened it started randomly scrolling... just wanted to give a FYI.

If you are signed up, you now have access to notifications, and I want to explain how that works. I am showing you how it's down on a computer, but a phone is very similar except that the "Follow" button is at the bottom of the topics. I will point out the difference as we go.

By default, you are not notified about anything as it should be. The point is to allow you to pick and choose those items that you want to be notified about. 

I'll use the Weather Discussions forum as an example. 

Once I'm in that forum, at the top of the page (again top computer/bottom for phone) will be a button that says "Follow"

Snap280.thumb.jpg.3c6ae746983ac01a9131cab0c8d3150d.jpg

If you click on that, you will be following (and therefore getting notified) when there are any changes in any topic in the list, which you may or may not want to do. However, there are 4 options for getting notifications.  

Snap281.thumb.jpg.1d3b2570b79a4f56f77f7d9c747b68c6.jpg

The default is to send you an email when a new content is posted. If you click "Follow", you will now be following everything in this forum.

Let's say out of that list of topics, I only want to follow the 2018-2019 Winter Discussion. Click on the topic and when it loads, at the top of the topic (or bottom for phone) you will see the same "Follow" button, and clicking on it will give you the same options as above. 

If you follow an entire forum, you may get a lot of email, depending on how is being posted, so for some people it is generally better to follow a specific topic. 

All of this give you the flexibility to be notified for just those things you are interested in. Once you do this a time or two, you won't even think twice. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Hey Steve! You asked for some feedback this morning regarding where the link you posted to the AFD took people on your sight. I'll be honest I am not sure what happened when I clicked on that link. I was using an iphone and it opened your site to the AFD however, two seconds after the page opened it started randomly scrolling... just wanted to give a FYI.

What link did you click on? I know if you click on the text in on of the Facebook links, it does take you directly to that comment. It's possible that it was scrolling down to the last comment? Just speculating. 

Hey, Steve.

Just joined the site (finally) after following on FB for quite awhile and saw you were looking to purchase an SSL certificate? Don't.

Unless you are planning on selling things on here super soon, start with a free one from "Let's Encrypt" or "SSL for free." Plenty good enough to start with and they auto renew.

I run 3 websites, 1 of which has merchandise, so I have a paid SSL for it, but the other 2 have free ones, and they are great.

Hope that's helpful! Love what you do, and I know that keeping costs down are important!

Amanda (in Oakwood)

9 hours ago, duttons2012 said:

Hey, Steve.

Just joined the site (finally) after following on FB for quite awhile and saw you were looking to purchase an SSL certificate? Don't.

Unless you are planning on selling things on here super soon, start with a free one from "Let's Encrypt" or "SSL for free." Plenty good enough to start with and they auto renew.

I run 3 websites, 1 of which has merchandise, so I have a paid SSL for it, but the other 2 have free ones, and they are great.

Hope that's helpful! Love what you do, and I know that keeping costs down are important!

Amanda (in Oakwood)

Thanks for the info Amanda! I think I will do free ones for three of my sites, and eventually a paid one for this site. I'll check into those sites, great info!

And thanks for getting signed up! Glad to see you here! 🙂

question/suggestion.  Is there a feature on your platform that would allow when you click on a thread you are watching it will open up on the last post you read.  Don't know if you are on the Dawgvent but basically I can read a thread this morning and go back to same thread later in the day and when I click on it it opens up to the last post I read so i don't have to swim through the same waters and figure out where I left off.   

I know this feature would be nice when you have a big weather/snow thread.

sf 

I have ONE suggestion for everyone that is a member here. 

Go to your "Account Settings" (should be at the top of any page and it will be a drop-down box with your login name)

Under Account Settings is Signature

If you add nothing else, please add a first name for me. I need to feel like I'm talking to a real person and not some anonymous virtual person. 🙂 I don't need your life story, but I'd like to think that we can at least talk on a first name basis! 🙂 

The worst part though, it that on Facebook, it generally would show names (depending on what you used for a name there) so over the years, I got to know many of you by those names. Here... not so much. In some cases it's hard, if not impossible, to cross match people, since your login name here doesn't match your FB name at all. I almost feel like I'm starting over in trying to get to know people that I already know but don't know it. 😜  You got that right? 😜 You could even use your FB name in the signature, just something to help me talk to you like a familiar person! 🙂

Thanks for helping me out! 

• Like 3

Steve, quick question... is the private messaging function for the forum disabled or is there a default number of posts we have to reach before that function is enable. Made an attempt at direct messaging and got a notification saying:

"You are only allowed to send 0 messages per day. Please try again later."

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2019 at 2:29 PM, Jay said:

Steve, quick question... is the private messaging function for the forum disabled or is there a default number of posts we have to reach before that function is enable. Made an attempt at direct messaging and got a notification saying:

I just now saw this... of course. Let me check.

On 1/19/2019 at 2:29 PM, Jay said:

Fixed! Thanks for pointing that out!

On 2/19/2019 at 7:56 PM, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Fixed! Thanks for pointing that out!

Awesome Steve! Thanks for looking into this!!

I've moved all of the maps etc that I had on the "Home Page" (almost all ) and you can now find it under the menu item "Weather Data". I also moved the AFD's under that menu item as well.

On 12/4/2018 at 8:32 AM, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

I have ONE suggestion for everyone that is a member here. 

Go to your "Account Settings" (should be at the top of any page and it will be a drop-down box with your login name)

Under Account Settings is Signature

If you add nothing else, please add a first name for me. I need to feel like I'm talking to a real person and not some anonymous virtual person. 🙂 I don't need your life story, but I'd like to think that we can at least talk on a first name basis! 🙂 

The worst part though, it that on Facebook, it generally would show names (depending on what you used for a name there) so over the years, I got to know many of you by those names. Here... not so much. In some cases it's hard, if not impossible, to cross match people, since your login name here doesn't match your FB name at all. I almost feel like I'm starting over in trying to get to know people that I already know but don't know it. 😜  You got that right? 😜 You could even use your FB name in the signature, just something to help me talk to you like a familiar person! 🙂

Thanks for helping me out! 

I setup my signature but its not coming up on my replies. Is that normal?

12 hours ago, HiTekRedNek said:

I setup my signature but its not coming up on my replies. Is that normal?

Are you on mobile? I've found they don't show up on my phone but they do on my computer. 

4 hours ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Are you on mobile? I've found they don't show up on my phone but they do on my computer. 

Yes i am. That could be it.