• Forum Image
MGHoschton

Personal Weather Stations

I am not sure if this is the place to post this, if you want me to move it let me know.

What would you recommend for a basic home weather station? What are some things to look for when shopping for one?

It appears there might be neough interest in this topic, so here's a new thread. I do have a lot of experience with this subject, having had multiple stations over the last 12 years or so. So if you have any question, post them here. I'll add stuff about mine and how I did it all later today. 

Buying a Personal Weather Station

I have my opinion and preferences about weather stations, so I'll share those with you and you can decide. I've had two different brands of stations over the past 12 years, my first was an Oregon Scientific and my last two are made by Davis Instruments. I've setup two other weather stations for schools, and while the stations are working flawlessly, the computers that manage the data aren't.

Unless you have unlimited funds, my preference for home weather stations are from Davis and that is where my expertise lies. There is no use having a station that isn't accurate and many of the cheaper brands and models have temperature accuracy issues, especially when the station is in the sun, and generally the Davis stations are considered to be more accurate and more reliable.

My second weather station was a Davis Vantage Vue, an all in one weather station with the accuracy of its more expensive brothers. 

61QgswXXP9L._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.4a08a998bdfe2c8071fba0e34ac3870f.jpg

While this blog post is outdated (I've been through two other computers since this), it does give you a look into my choice for the Vue

http://blog.northgeorgiawx.com/weather-blog/category/weather-station-and-computer

And here's a look at the new Davis VP2 Plus, their top of the line weather station with detachable anemometer, solar and UV sensors, and 24 hour fan aspirated radiation shield. The anemometer can be relocated to a roof or mast (using an additional wireless transmitter) to get it to the optimum 33 foot level. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oqe1I2F3cjUrhgdl1

I've also included this link to the current weather computers that I built. The one in the bedroom is the one connected to the weather station console. Most of the Davis weather stations are wireless, so no cabled connection into the house is necessary.

And here's a link to the best personal weather station forum on the internet. Spend LOTS of time there and you'll learn a lot. And if ANYONE has any questions (there is LOT I haven't even touched here), please ask.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=71.0

• Like 1

wasn't quite ready to jump up to the Davis, so I got the Accurite 5 in 1 wireless with pc connect. its a little over 100 and have had it about a year.  its been pretty good so far.  I have it reporting here: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KGADAHLO45

But like NorthGeorgiaWX said, all I have heard is Davis is really the way to go if you are willing to spend a bit more.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SouthSideDahlonega said:

wasn't quite ready to jump up to the Davis, so I got the Accurite 5 in 1 wireless with pc connect. its a little over 100 and have had it about a year.  its been pretty good so far.  I have it reporting here: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KGADAHLO45

But like NorthGeorgiaWX said, all I have heard is Davis is really the way to go if you are willing to spend a bit more.

My first one was pretty inexpensive and worked fine for a couple of years. When you've had yours for a while, you'll want to move up too. 😉 I've moved up three times so far! :classic_laugh:

Two other reasons I wanted the VP2+ were: 

1. The detachable anemometer - When I move, I want to get mine at 33 feet which is the official height. 
  2. Expansion Capabilities -  At the two schools that I've installed stations for, they both had a soil moisture/temperature station. It consist of 4 temperature and 4 soil moisture sensors.  Those get buried in the ground at various depths to monitor the soil environment. Using those sensors, I can do an exact evapotranspiration measurement. There are all kinds of remote sensors that can be added as well.

The VP console uses what they call "dataloggers". They are all small interface devices that go between the console and a computer, or a console to an ethernet connection. I use a USB datalogger to a computer. On the computer I use a piece of software called Weather Display to take that data and do all kinds of processing with it. It then generates a file (it's actually multiple files but that's another story) called testtags.php that contains all kinds of data that can be displayed on a web page. My website uses javascript to process those tags on the page, and substitute live data in place of it. Here's a link that let's you view the variables and their current values. This file is updated and uploaded to the web site about every 10 seconds.

http://www.daculaweather.com/testtags.php?sce=view

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drchubbz said:

I have it. Replaced my acurite 5-in-1. Best thing I did. 

444280A4-AB87-4D08-A9F7-EA1FDA8565FF.jpeg

Does yours log 0 readings for everything at midnight everyday? Thats the only issue i have with mine. I have to go in everyday and delete that time so i doesnt throw my graphs off. Wierd thing is, the zero reading dont show up on wunderground's charts, only ambient weather's.

2 hours ago, HiTekRedNek said:

Does yours log 0 readings for everything at midnight everyday? Thats the only issue i have with mine. I have to go in everyday and delete that time so i doesnt throw my graphs off. Wierd thing is, the zero reading dont show up on wunderground's charts, only ambient weather's.

Nope. I have it uploading to WU, ambient, weathercloud, pws. No issue. 

341FE37C-1CC8-48D3-945B-123D7C0F20A6.jpeg