• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

End of January Winter Weather Possibilities

Well... I think it may be time to start over with a new thread. Great opportunities for winter type weather with lots of cold air around. 

So.... that being said, let's see where it goes! ❄️⛷️🛷💮

gefs_snow_ens_nc_35-24.thumb.png.2e40c69b001af9d3b44c655a056cd3fc.png

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Well... I think it may be time to start over with a new thread. Great opportunities for winter type weather with lots of cold air around. 

So.... that being said, let's see where it goes! ❄️⛷️🛷💮

gefs_snow_ens_nc_35-24.thumb.png.2e40c69b001af9d3b44c655a056cd3fc.png

I didn’t like the old thread anyway 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

It was jinxed. 

I appreciate the new thread as well it opens the door for new opportunities...bring on the snow! 🌨❄☃️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bad juju on the old thread. BTW, I don't say much because I don't know what I am talking about, but thanks for entertaining me for the last 2 weeks! :classic_laugh:  My 2 year old son saw "Christmas Mickey Snow" at school this morning in Kennesaw and I think it made his year. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Laura said:

Bad juju on the old thread. BTW, I don't say much because I don't know what I am talking about, but thanks for entertaining me for the last 2 weeks! :classic_laugh:  My 2 year old son saw "Christmas Mickey Snow" at school this morning in Kennesaw and I think it made his year. 

At least he saw some snow! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

And if this one is jinxed, I'll lt someone else start the next one. We need some good mojo.  :classic_biggrin:

If we really want good mojo, we need to donate all our back-up supplies of toilet paper, batteries, tortilla chips, coffee - and whatever other snow prep supplies we have.  And I should go sabotage my generator, just to be sure.  The less ready I am, the more likely it is to snow. 😜

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

40 minutes ago, Bagsmom said:

If we really want good mojo, we need to donate all our back-up supplies of toilet paper, batteries, tortilla chips, coffee - and whatever other snow prep supplies we have.  And I should go sabotage my generator, just to be sure.  The less ready I am, the more likely it is to snow. 😜

Lol, that’s me! We also have had enough snow dances yet! 

• Haha 1

I’m just gonna pretend nothing is gonna happen. I blatantly ignored all the info before Snowpocalypse and it happened. Sooo yeah. 😂😂😂🤷‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am going to listen to Spann.  Stop paying attention to this stuff  " smeared over social media"  !!!!  🙄  I am going to wait till 72 hours for them to tell me the models still don't agree and they have no idea.........  REAL COLD he said with highs in the 30's...  DUH  We have already had that....  Either believe the models or don't!!  Don't give any warning if you don't believe it or WARN FOLKS and if it does not happen, whoopee

Edited by RickyD
  • Like 2

Glenn Burns did a nice, responsible FB post.  He let people know that the models were showing extreme cold and that it is better to be ready for it, in case it plays out.  He gave some tips for having alternate power sources, etc.  He also reminded people that if their furnace goes out, people can't assume there will be hotel rooms available, due to the Super Bowl.  All in all, it was just kind of a friendly heads up.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RickyD said:

I am going to listen to Spann.  Stop paying attention to this stuff  " smeared over social media"  !!!!  🙄  I am going to wait till 72 hours for them to tell me the models still don't agree and they have no idea.........  REAL COLD he said with highs in the 30's...  DUH  We have already had that....  Either believe the models or don't!!  Don't give any warning if you don't believe it or WARN FOLKS and if it does not happen, whoopee

I like Spann and have a pretty reasonable amount of respect for how he presents himself and the weather, I can also completely understand the seriousness of his approach to meteorology given:

1) His long history in the profession and all he has witnessed with regard to the changes in how weather information is disseminated.
2) A significant portion of his listeners/viewers live in an area where timely, accurate and no nonsense dissemination  of information pretty regularly means the difference between life and death for his viewership.

It's very obvious he treats his responsibilities with a significant amount of respect and gravity. I mean he pretty much won't even publicly comment on global warming, except to state that he is a meteorologist, as opposed to a climatologist. Well that, and to take shots at the folks on both sides of the issue hyping it up.

At the same time I do feel that at times he is a bit jaded (again understandable), as well as gun shy except when he is very certain of the information that is backing up what he is stating. To me, it feels like that sometimes gets in the way of some of his abilities as a public figure to communicate information to the general public.

Put another way, I would really, really like to be a fly on the wall of his home to see if he gets excited about snow or other weather events. :classic_biggrin: He certainly lightens up a bit on Weather Brains.

Edited by Jay
formatting
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

I like Spann and have a pretty reasonable amount of respect for how he presents himself and the weather, I can also completely understand the seriousness of his approach to meteorology given:

1) His long history in the profession and all he has witnessed with regard to the changes in how weather information is disseminated.
2) A significant portion of his listeners/viewers live in an area where timely, accurate and no nonsense dissemination  of information pretty regularly means the difference between life and death for his viewership.

It's very obvious he treats his responsibilities with a significant amount of respect and gravity. I mean he pretty much won't even publicly comment on global warming, except to state that he is a meteorologist, as opposed to a climatologist. Well that, and to take shots at the folks on both sides of the issue hyping it up.

At the same time I do feel that at times he is a bit jaded (again understandable), as well as gun shy except when he is very certain of the information that is backing up what he is stating. To me, it feels like that sometimes gets in the way of some of his abilities as a public figure to communicate information to the general public.

Put another way, I would really, really like to be a fly on the wall of his home to see if he gets excited about snow or other weather events. :classic_biggrin: He certainly lightens up a bit on Weather Brains.

He is my favorite.  He is the most compassionate, upright man i know in the business.  But he hates the internet and it's influence it has brought.  He strictly stays by the NWS.  It is the voice of reason and others are the "stuff that smear the internet"...  Old school all the way.  Like i said, he looked at the same evidence i did about single digits, but the NWS is not calling for that and he will not either till they do

• Like 1

I just registered and I have been following the other thread for a couple weeks. Snow gets me and my family excited but My brother in law is getting married feb 2nd. Is this when the potential for winter weather is gonna be?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Franklincountygeorgia said:

I just registered and I have been following the other thread for a couple weeks. Snow gets me and my family excited but My brother in law is getting married feb 2nd. Is this when the potential for winter weather is gonna be?

Welcome! Glad you signed up! Right now we are focused on the Wed/Thu time frame next week, and possibly.... wait for it... Feb 2. 😉 Not worried about that one now as what happens with the first one impacts the second one.  Of course you have a different opinion on that! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bagsmom said:

And somebody plan something super important that cant be rescheduled!!!!

• Haha 4

The more talk of snow the less I believe it will happen.   When it falls then I will believe.  To much disappointment these days.  So I am changing my tactics.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Franklincountygeorgia said:

Welcome aboard! It's a great no drama, fun place to learn.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, HiTekRedNek said:

And somebody plan something super important that cant be rescheduled!!!!

I am supposed to be going to a concert on Wednesday of next week, so if it’s going to happen it will most likely happen then! It is the only day I don’t want it to snow on, but don’t get me wrong, I’d still enjoy it. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thebrookes said:

What are we talking next Wed/Thurs? I'll be coming in on an 11pm flight Thurs night.

Should be no issues. If we see snow next week it’ll be Tuesday afternoon/night. Very bitter cold though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is a question:  are "the models" tuned in to next week's cold?  The lowest I'm seeing next week is a high of 39 and a low of 19.  That is certainly very cold for here!   Is that what is expected?  Or are the models not picking up on it well enough yet?  Is it likely to be any lower?

• Like 1