• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

End of January Winter Weather Possibilities

Apart from snow (if, how much, where) I'm still wondering about liquid precipitation and timing on Tuesday - and the potential for ugliness on the roads - whatever form the precipitation takes.  I was looking at the current hourly forecast for Tuesday on Wunderground and it is showing precipitation in the form of rain in the afternoon - and a temperature of 32 at 2:00, dropping from that point.  Whether we get a flake or not, it seems like the roads could be super nasty for the evening commute.  Perhaps even the after school drive.  I wonder how all that will play out?  Does it take a while for the freezing to begin?  Or might it be like 2014 when the roads got nasty FAST?  (Driving from school - a total of 2 or 3 miles took 3 hours!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bagsmom said:

Apart from snow (if, how much, where) I'm still wondering about liquid precipitation and timing on Tuesday - and the potential for ugliness on the roads - whatever form the precipitation takes.  I was looking at the current hourly forecast for Tuesday on Wunderground and it is showing precipitation in the form of rain in the afternoon - and a temperature of 32 at 2:00, dropping from that point.  Whether we get a flake or not, it seems like the roads could be super nasty for the evening commute.  Perhaps even the after school drive.  I wonder how all that will play out?  Does it take a while for the freezing to begin?  Or might it be like 2014 when the roads got nasty FAST?  (Driving from school - a total of 2 or 3 miles took 3 hours!)

Yeah ice could be a big problem area wide. With precip still falling behind the cold front this time we don’t get the drying from the winds we normally see.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bagsmom said:

Well, that is a good question, and that timing would indeed be a bad one for afternoon commutes. The details to that will not be known for several more days. As far as freezing, that depends on how quickly the cold comes rushing in. Again, we won't know for a few more days. The timing you see now is simply based on model projections and that will change.

• Like 1

Just now, RickyD said:

Matthew Holiday/Chris Nunley is sticking with 1-4 inches

safe_image.php.png

Not out of the question in my opinion. It will all depend on the strength of the wave coming through as well as timing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RickyD said:

Matthew Holiday/Chris Nunley is sticking with 1-4 inches

safe_image.php.png

I really hope this is how it turns out but I’m inclined to believe all of that east and southeast of the metro is overdone 

• Like 4

Just now, Shannon said:

I really hope this is how it turns out but I’m inclined to believe all of that east and southeast of the metro is overdone 

I am thinking for the most part here in NW Georgia will be all snow

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Yeah ice could be a big problem area wide. With precip still falling behind the cold front this time we don’t get the drying from the winds we normally see.

I really hope the schools will be proactive if there is a likelihood of that situation.  I think they will.  And maybe GDOT will get out and brine the roads.  Convincing my husband to get out of work early will be another story...🙄

8 minutes ago, RickyD said:

I am thinking for the most part here in NW Georgia will be all snow

Yeah NW GA is definitely the place to be for this one. East/Southeast of there will fully depend on the timing and strength of the system.

4 minutes ago, Bagsmom said:

I really hope the schools will be proactive if there is a likelihood of that situation.  I think they will.  And maybe GDOT will get out and brine the roads.  Convincing my husband to get out of work early will be another story...🙄

I fully expect them to be on top of things. After the disaster from years ago I know the state has no intention on being embarrassed like that again.

From Chris Hunley

and the best chance for accumulations will across northern & central Mississippi, Tennessee, northern & central Alabama, northern Louisiana and northern Georgia. Guidance is evening indicating some instability, which could lead to convective banding of snow. This could dump heavy snow amounts for isolated locations

7 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Yeah NW GA is definitely the place to be for this one. East/Southeast of there will fully depend on the timing and strength of the system.

Does NW include Forsyth Co / Lake Lanier area or the NW section from Cherokee North and West?

4 minutes ago, K8T8 said:

Does NW include Forsyth Co / Lake Lanier area or the NW section from Cherokee North and West?

I would say a little further NW is in a better spot. Say NW of a line from Cartersville to Blue Ridge. Not that your in a bad spot, I just think at this point it’s more of a sure thing in the NW corner of the state. 

1 minute ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

I would say a little further NW is in a better spot. Say NW of a line from Cartersville to Blue Ridge. Not that your in a bad spot, I just think at this point it’s more of a sure thing in the NW corner of the state. 

I've often wondered if this area is considered in the NW. I am thinking more North Central. 

1 minute ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

4 minutes ago, K8T8 said:

I've often wondered if this area is considered in the NW. I am thinking more North Central. 

23 minutes ago, Bagsmom said:

I have an after school meeting on Tuesday @ 4:00, I'm hoping they will cancel it by Monday afternoon. 🤞🤞

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

I fully expect them to be on top of things. After the disaster from years ago I know the state has no intention on being embarrassed like that again.

Every time there has been a remote chance of snow or ice I’ve seen them roll the trucks. They had salted the roads last weekend up in Union and White County. 

12 minutes ago, K8T8 said:

Yeah it’s sort of in between 2 regions. I tend to just draw a line straight north out of Atlanta and just divide things in half.

12z GFS still isn't too enthusiastic and the ensemble means snow total dropped. But based on what I see of the ensemble pressure levels and placement, it should be doing better. 

• Like 1