• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

End of January Winter Weather Possibilities

3 hours ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

<rant on>

I have to admit, I'm more than a little disappointed in the overnight model runs, as I was expecting to see a little better organized system than what I'm seeing this morning. It's amazing how we get all of these great Gulf rains in Dec/early Jan, yet once we get a little cold, we can't buy any moisture. And I am majorly disappointed in the blocking, or lack of, and to me, that has been the whole problem with the pattern so far. This fast split flow has been killing us by overwhelming the pattern, and it hasn't gotten any better. 

So yea, more than a little frustrated right now. So far, this has not worked out at all like it was planned. 

<rant off>

This winter has been like that big raise you get promised at work that management keeps bragging about. You keep waiting and waiting, and when you finally get it, it only adds about $50 a paycheck to your take home amount. Lol. 

• Haha 6

14 minutes ago, WILL said:

Sounds like winter almost over 

But.... it's just starting 🤔🥺

tenor.gif

• Like 1

What did the 12z NAM just tell me?! We still aren’t sure what the heck is going to happen. 

• Confused 1

The 12z NAM is a trend that we need today. However, it could look like the 06z NAM when the 18z comes out later. 

2 minutes ago, Shannon said:

What did the 12z NAM just tell me?! We still aren’t sure what the heck is going to happen. 

Yep, a good shift east... model madness proceeds. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Athens said:

Yep, a good shift east... model madness proceeds. 

Yeah I know you are rooting for it just as I am. I am in Buford so I stand a better chance then you but that run was a step in the right direction for you! 

• Like 3

One point that I believe that is not being stressed enough is how quick the temperatures are falling Tuesday afternoon and evening and how treacherous the roads could be. 

1 minute ago, Shannon said:

Yeah I know you are rooting for it just as I am. I am in Buford so I stand a better chance then you but that run was a step in the right direction for you! 

If we see snow here then it's pretty safe to say we all will lol. I just don't want to be sitting on the sidelines watching everyone else play. I hope we all get to see something and that Nam run was reassuring.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

And the NAM  holds hope for most everyone.

nam_3hr_snow_acc_atl_21-27.png

hires_snow_atl_57-27.png

How much do we trust this? I want to trust it 100%! 😊😋❄❄🤪

I'm starting to see the phrase "flash freeze" getting tossed around a lot on FB...gonna be fun to try to discern actual forecasting from people just talking out of their...ah, ears.  😉

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

And the NAM  holds hope for most everyone.

nam_3hr_snow_acc_atl_21-27.png

hires_snow_atl_57-27.png

In NAM we trust

• Like 2

I do believe most everyone will see at least light snow falling on Tuesday. Accumulations just become more quetionalble the further east you go. That all depends on how quickly we can cool down before the moisture is gone. I just don’t think anyone outside of NW GA or the western mountain counties should expect to see an inch or more. If you get enough to turn the ground white, be happy about it. 

• Like 2

^ This right here. I’m in Floyd Co. and am likely in a decent spot to see some accumulations. However, I’m also tempering my expectations...... of course with the hope in the back of my head for some over performance. 

I've mentally moved past being excited about snow to being worried about travel impacts from the precipitation (in whatever form) making the roads bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christine said:

Are you still hopeful Steve?? As long as you have hope, I have hope! 😂

Yes, I am still hopeful. 

1 hour ago, Sara said:

What is the difference between the 12km NAM and the 3km NAM?

About 9 km. 😛 😄 

Seriously though, when we talk about high resolution models, we're talking about the models that utilize a smaller grid spacing, so the 3km NAM is MUCH higher resolution than the old version. There are other differences, but that's the grid difference.

The current GFS uses a 13km grid to 240 hours, it then jumps to 27km from 240 to 384 hours.  The Euro uses a 9km grid. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At this point I’m worried about travel impacts as well. My hubby drives all around the state for work. He potentially has to be in Athens Tuesday. I know it’s a questionable whether they get anything BUT his commute back home may be effected as we live in Dallas. 

What do you think steve? Should I make him stay home? Lol 

5 minutes ago, LHarkins913 said:

At this point I’m worried about travel impacts as well. My hubby drives all around the state for work. He potentially has to be in Athens Tuesday. I know it’s a questionable whether they get anything BUT his commute back home may be effected as we live in Dallas. 

What do you think steve? Should I make him stay home? Lol 

I think by afternoon, whatever moisture is around will freeze. Could be a bad commute. 

• Like 2