• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

End of January Winter Weather Possibilities

2 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

I am just getting into my office....well it is mostly me however, I think everyone is interested.  I am curious because I will have to be at work in the morning (Lithonia) but may have to leave before this starts due to issues on the roads. I remember all to well what happened several years ago when the roads started freezing up starting in Alabama.   I also am a landlord/Office Manager so I need to make sure that my families are prepared for winter weather and understand our office may not be open. 

By the way Steve were can I find those maps?  Do you have them on your site?

If you're talking about the mesoanalysis maps, I do

http://www.daculaweather.com/4_spc_meso_analysis_19.php

• Thanks 1

Y'all don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but it isn't going to do much of anything. This cold is only last for a couple days and then we will be back in the sixties again. I think this winter is a bust meteorologist is the one profession where you get 50% chance of rain snow or whatever,and 50%  chance that nothing's going to happen. So unless this front find some moisture. What ever falls isnt going to last long.

Think about it why do you think the National Weather Service has t upgraded the watch to anything. Idk I used to love winter. But this winter has been a bust. Even the CPC is calling for above average temps for atleast the next 10 days. So really starting to lose hope once again for Winter. Might as well bring on the 70's and sunshine.. but then again, you never know what mother nature will do.. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, firefighter556 said:

Y'all don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but it isn't going to do much of anything. This cold is only last for a couple days and then we will be back in the sixties again. I think this winter is a bust meteorologist is the one profession where you get 50% chance of rain snow or whatever,and 50%  chance that nothing's going to happen. So unless this front find some moisture. What ever falls isnt going to last long.

Think about it why do you think the National Weather Service has t upgraded the watch to anything. Idk I used to love winter. But this winter has been a bust. Even the CPC is calling for above average temps for atleast the next 10 days. So really starting to lose hope once again for Winter. Might as well bring on the 70's and sunshine.. but then again, you never know what mother nature will do.. 

Canton was upgraded to a watch 30 mins ago

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, firefighter556 said:

And of course nothing against you Steve. I love this blog. 🙂 you keep us better informed then anyone else. And with that I thank you alot.

1 hour ago, RickyD said:

I am afraid you were served a dose of reality in your sleep

Winter isn't over.  I ain't giving up.  Wet winters mean all we need is a little cold

This is what happens when the cold is nowhere around this year! I’m about ready to give up! As soon as cold goes away, this happens!:

F451BBA4-628F-41CD-830D-A02BDA1B0FFB.png

The Atlanta NWS office is not making any changes to the forecast until after the 12z guidance comes in, so maybe sometime between 1pm - 3 pm. Very tricky forecast and still disagreement int he models.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, firefighter556 said:

NWS has procedures for upgrading Watches, and one of those is time until impacts begin. If you’ll notice that the watches just to my north in NC have already been upgraded but mine has not. We are served by the same forecast area, yet their impacts are expected to begin earlier, so they got upgraded with the 3am forecast package. Atlanta WFO will be upgrading by this afternoon. This was always going to be a light event, so nothing has changed. Yeah it’s going to go above normal for at least a week or so. I for one am fine with moving into a different sub-pattern because the one we’ve been in, while cold, hasn’t done anything for us. Remember cold periods do not guarantee snow, and warm periods don’t guarantee you can’t get it. 

• Like 2

12z looks just as moist as it has..  No convection that i could see....

gfs_asnow_us_6.png

Edited by RickyD
  • Like 2

Looks like warning's/advisory's will be issued first part of the afternoon per NWS ATL 

Steve, how does this setup compare to the event 5 years ago today? The predicted timeline appears almost identical to that event, with snow starting around midday Tuesday.

3 minutes ago, TheSimpleMan said:

WSB is reporting that Atlanta Public Schools are closed tomorrow as well. 

We are trying to make a determination about our shop, right now.  We are in Marietta.  If I am understanding the way this may unfold, I am thinking we are still good to come in at 6a, and maybe work till 9a.  I hate to lose a day 😫

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rwarren5 said:

Steve, how does this setup compare to the event 5 years ago today? The predicted timeline appears almost identical to that event, with snow starting around midday Tuesday.

Synoptically they’re very different. That one was one of our classic gulf low setups with established cold. This is a primary low in the Great Lakes and a cold front dropping south. A rather rare setup for snow around here which really has a low ceiling on what it can produce. 

• Thanks 1

I am wondering the same thing and I guess right now it is more an educated guess.  What time are they thinking the weather if any will get into the metro area tomorrow?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

NWS has procedures for upgrading Watches, and one of those is time until impacts begin. If you’ll notice that the watches just to my north in NC have already been upgraded but mine has not. We are served by the same forecast area, yet their impacts are expected to begin earlier, so they got upgraded with the 3am forecast package. Atlanta WFO will be upgrading by this afternoon. This was always going to be a light event, so nothing has changed. Yeah it’s going to go above normal for at least a week or so. I for one am fine with moving into a different sub-pattern because the one we’ve been in, while cold, hasn’t done anything for us. Remember cold periods do not guarantee snow, and warm periods don’t guarantee you can’t get it. 

I’m with you... give me a different pattern and see what happens.