• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

End of January Winter Weather Possibilities

2 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

I "think" that Gwinnett is going to announce they are closed tomorrow. I "think". They are one of the last holdouts in the advisory area. Of course. 

I have been checking in with you all day and waiting to get that text alert!!!!  

I notice the models are really building up moisture and rain down near the coast. Hope it doesn’t cut us off 🤨

1 minute ago, Shannon said:

I notice the models are really building up moisture and rain down near the coast. Hope it doesn’t cut us off 🤨

Won't be enough to cut us off. You really need some big convection to do that.

1 minute ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

I understand that directions have been sent to certified and classified staff from the super's office. We'll see shortly

We (certified staff being teachers) haven't got anything directly......LSTC been sending out notes about DLD and getting eclass ready all day though.

• Like 3

Rabun being upgraded to warning, and Habersham to an advisory. I think outside of the highest elevations a warning is over kill, but advisory level event seems likely all the way to valley floors.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gatormom said:

We (certified staff being teachers) haven't got anything directly......LSTC been sending out notes about DLD and getting eclass ready all day though.

Think it went out to the honchos. Been talking to a LSTC Instructional Coach. 

• Like 3

Just now, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Think it went out to the honchos. Been talking a LSTC Instructional Coach. 

Can't love this enough!!!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

I think a DLD day.

Yeah we had an imprompt meeting this morning about DLD 

• Like 1

Just need Walton on that list!!!!  Got any thoughts about Walton and that area?  A lot of back roads and dirt roads for buses to go down!  Thanks for always having the best information and keeping us up to date!

• Like 1

How well do the euro and gfs perform in short ranges like this? The euro has about 4 inches on me, while the gfs has only 1. This is a big difference considering we are this close to the onset of precip. 

18 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

I "think" that Gwinnett is going to announce they are closed tomorrow. I "think". They are one of the last holdouts in the advisory area. Of course. 

I already said that they will wait until tomorrow morning 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chase said:

How well do the euro and gfs perform in short ranges like this? The euro has about 4 inches on me, while the gfs has only 1. This is a big difference considering we are this close to the onset of precip. 

At this point the long range models do not do well it is better to look at the NAM.  More nowcasting then anything else.

2 hours ago, Bagsmom said:

Marietta City Schools are closed too.  I'm still really surprised at the very divergent expectations from different sources.  I'm sure it is a matter of being incredibly cautious - which I appreciate!  But Kirk Mellish made it sound like a non-issue.  That surprises me.  What is he seeing that others aren't?  Or vice versa?  Maybe everyone is just saying no to any chance of a repeat of 2014.  

They aren't going to allow what happened a few years ago happen again. They have the built in snow days and the online learning, so they will never chance it again.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Chase said:

Not great, their grids aren't as fine as the high resolution models. The Euro has colder temps than the GFS.

• Like 1

Is this kind of an "eh-maybe" event for the areas in the warning or are they fairly confident of accumulating snows and worsening road conditions? I'm in Pickens and serving as the weather hub for the office lol. Quick, make me sound smart to everyone!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheSimpleMan said:

Is this kind of an "eh-maybe" event for the areas in the warning or are they fairly confident of accumulating snows and worsening road conditions? I'm in Pickens and serving as the weather hub for the office lol. Quick, make me sound smart to everyone!

A "Warning" is high confidence that there will be winter precip that will cause travel concerns. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Yea, and that is stupid.

I have lived in Gwinnett County for 43 years and they haven’t changed!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheSimpleMan said:

I think amounts are “eh-maybe” but impacts are not. Amount of precip remains questionable because of the short term models.

• Like 2