• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

End of January Winter Weather Possibilities

7 minutes ago, WILL said:

I have a feeling it’s going to be more and one of those surprise amounts!

From your lips (or keyboard) to God's ears...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JenRay said:

Gwinnett closed school tomorrow

Shocked 😳 

• Like 2

I was going to rant on their FB page if they didn't. Congrats guys! Even if you get no snow, you get a day off. 🙂 We can count that as a snow day, right? :classic_biggrin:

• Like 6

Just got the call, my library is closed tomorrow so no work. The schools are also closed, as are the state government offices.

I hope we get something after all this.  :P

• Like 2

Steve Crankyweatherguy is seeing slow development in Gulf of Mexico!

• Like 1

Channel 2 (wsb) pretty much agrees with this blog. Chandley is always wrong.  Paul Osmond is down the middle of the two but admits that things are still questionable and they really don't know.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WILL said:

Steve Crankyweatherguy is seeing slow development in Gulf of Mexico!

This is what I was showing on the mesoscale map earlier

19 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Can you translate what that means?  A good thing?  Or just explaining why our weather is going kaput?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bagsmom said:

Can you translate what that means?  A good thing?  Or just explaining why our weather is going kaput?

Certainly not good for now, but maybe it can play catch-up.

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Certainly not good for now, but maybe it can play catch-up.

Looks like the moisture is just drying up, I just watched WSB (not that they're always 100%) and the models are definitely looking parched. 

• Sad 1

If it counts for anything, you can feel it in the air here in Blue Ridge. Being from Michigan, these spidey senses are strong lol. We'll see. When the NWS starts canceling advisories and warnings, I'll throw in the towel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

I was going to rant on their FB page if they didn't. Congrats guys! Even if you get no snow, you get a day off. 🙂 We can count that as a snow day, right? :classic_biggrin:

As someone who has ridden out and had to drive in hurricanes and also has folks that live in some of the uglier snow areas I can kinda sit back and laugh at all the precautions that GA/AL are taking with cancelling events and closing schools/gov offices. On the other hand I am ever so thankful for the abundance of caution the powers that be are taking.

I'm on a 3 hour weather delay for the education center, but I will still likely be on the road tomorrow morning because my wife works at a large medical facility that rarely ever closes due to weather and she gets very anxious driving with any snow on the ground.

I'm one of those folks that enjoy driving in light to moderate snow.... HOWEVER, it scares the living bejeebus out of me to do it with anything more than a light amount of cars on the road. There are so many people down here that don't have any understanding of how to drive in a heavy rain storm, let alone snowy conditions.

• Like 2

Finally, a tiny glimmer of hope. Kirk Mellish uploaded a new blog with the caveat that the Euro was more aggressive, saying it was something to watch...

• Like 5

Why didn't this show up on the HRRR or NAM? Seems likes it's actually getting juicier and hitting the ground. How might this affect things going forward?

915111cf-66e7-4217-a553-170dae5fbffa.gif

• Like 1

I don't understand what the bottom instrument is and what it really means. (blue color indicates dry snow on bar)

9557d39f-6056-42e4-9458-47cacdec7d20.gif

• Like 1

That can't be right, according to NWS its 56 in Nashville, 55 in Chat.

Edited by rwarren5
  • Like 2

Sorry to blow up the feed, but wanted to share this as well in conjunction with the other images. Looks like a very light sprinkle. But it intrigues me this wasn't picked up. What else isn't getting noticed?

Screenshot_20190128-194942_RadarScope.jpg

• Like 1

Does anyone have a graphic or info indicating how much the cold is trailing behind the moisture? I was under the impression that part of the issue was that freezing/sub-freezing temps were significantly further behind than anticipated.

• Like 1