• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

End of January Winter Weather Possibilities

6 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Lobes of the tropospheric polar vortex rotating through the US. 

For $10 month, you can have all of this stuff. 🙂 https://weathermodels.com/ Try for free for 14 days.

222400583_GFSHourly0-5DAYSUnitedStatesTropopauseTheta-25.gif.092efc4126d679c6677ea46d11436754.gif

This is so incredibly fascinating! I read somewhere about when the polar vortex comes down like that, and the mb are THAT low that the air will smell like ozone(obviously not here but in MN, MI what have you).  Is that true?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, LHarkins913 said:

This is so incredibly fascinating! I read somewhere about when the polar vortex comes down like that, and the mb are THAT low that the air will smell like ozone(obviously not here but in MN, MI what have you).  Is that true?

Usually when it's that cold in northern Michigan (where I am from), you can't smell anything at all because it's so cold! But I can say that yes, the air has a certain scent when it's that cold, I just never knew it may have been ozone or if it even is. That I don't know. It kind of smells like "the ultimate fresh air" and pain. lol

Edited by SlicNic13
  • Like 1

Wowwwww...I do not think I have every seen the white blob come into the states like that before....at least not since I have been following weather.  That is some nasty looking cold.

• Like 3

Looks like there may be more model consistency than we have had from run to run.  Maybe🤨

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, LHarkins913 said:

That was in another Twitter post that I made. 🙂 The tropopause is the dividing line between the stratosphere and troposphere.

Look how low the pressures are. Extremely dense cold air will bring that high altitude atmosphere closer to the surface.

1070410137_gfs_2019012506_fh108_xsection_48.88N95.35W_29.07N94.94W_Potential-Vorticity-25.thumb.png.228d657bd5fa506ca9b6ab73a9e199de.png

911631264_gfs_2019012506_fh108_xsection_48.88N95.35W_29.07N94.94W_FGEN-Theta-e-Omega-25.thumb.png.b11025b42705594f071475082defb171.png

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

That was in another Twitter post that I made. 🙂 The tropopause is the dividing line between the stratosphere and troposphere.

Look how low the pressures are. Extremely dense cold air will bring that high altitude atmosphere closer to the surface.

1070410137_gfs_2019012506_fh108_xsection_48.88N95.35W_29.07N94.94W_Potential-Vorticity-25.thumb.png.228d657bd5fa506ca9b6ab73a9e199de.png

911631264_gfs_2019012506_fh108_xsection_48.88N95.35W_29.07N94.94W_FGEN-Theta-e-Omega-25.thumb.png.b11025b42705594f071475082defb171.png

That’s so crazy! And cool as well!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wendy4 said:

I disagree, I don't like making the day up. My students do the work and it only takes a part of the day, they can still play in the snow.

And (at least from my point of view) the attitude to days off changes with the ages of your kids.  When mine were little, we LIVED for the possibility of a cozy day off due to snow!  They would get to play, then bundle up and sip hot chocolate with lots of marshmallows and watch cartoons.  Now in high school, especially junior and senior years, it is much more stressful to lose a day.  But we will see what we get and enjoy it one way or the other.

The thought of teen drivers in a snowmaggedon situation is another subject entirely... :classic_huh:

• Like 1

I know my high school helper last year was hoping they DIDN'T have a snow day because the amount of work for digital learning days far exceeded what they normally did in a day.  It took my kids about 2-3 hours to complete their work (1st/6th/7th grade), I think more because of issues with e-class and they kept getting kicked off.  As a parent. I was about ready to poke my eyes out trying to get 3 kids school work done.  I can handle a classroom of 25 1st graders, but trying to navigate the DDL with my own 3 kids (plus entertaining a 3 year old) had me wanting to go back to work after day #2!  We were told that schools were suppose to be more mindful of how much work was given out this year...I guess we will see!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, gatormom said:

I know my high school helper last year was hoping they DIDN'T have a snow day because the amount of work for digital learning days far exceeded what they normally did in a day.  It took my kids about 2-3 hours to complete their work (1st/6th/7th grade), I think more because of issues with e-class and they kept getting kicked off.  As a parent. I was about ready to poke my eyes out trying to get 3 kids school work done.  I can handle a classroom of 25 1st graders, but trying to navigate the DDL with my own 3 kids (plus entertaining a 3 year old) had me wanting to go back to work after day #2!  We were told that schools were suppose to be more mindful of how much work was given out this year...I guess we will see!

Had one of my parents from last year, trying to get 6 kids on one computer to complete their work. Each class for the children had assigned an hour for their class. It was a nightmare for them. One of the blessings of snow in the south is that it’s rare and lasts for a short time. Sometimes new experiences are equally important. Lol, but I am now retired, what do I know....

• Like 2

I can guarantee if I was a student on a snow day with digital learning, my power would be out, all day!!!! "It's just a little white lie so it wouldn't hurt nobody"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I hate the fact that next week the eastern side of the state, think Atlanta east, could get short changed. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Shannon said:

I hate the fact that next week the eastern side of the state, think Atlanta east, could get short changed. 

That’s just the game we play with winter weather. If you go back and look at storms throughout history, there are very few examples of storms that make everyone happy. They are rare, and they only come from the gulf, and the cold has to be perfect. Jan. 2011 is the best recent  example. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Shannon said:

Don't be so sure. Watching the Euro come in and a 1004 mb low is developing south of TX at 84 hours. 

26 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

That’s just the game we play with winter weather. If you go back and look at storms throughout history, there are very few examples of storms that make everyone happy. They are rare, and they only come from the gulf, and the cold has to be perfect. Jan. 2011 is the best recent  example. 

Yeh in that storm I lived south of Athens and we got 7" of snow and a little ice after the snow.

1 hour ago, Cay said:

Had one of my parents from last year, trying to get 6 kids on one computer to complete their work. Each class for the children had assigned an hour for their class. It was a nightmare for them. One of the blessings of snow in the south is that it’s rare and lasts for a short time. Sometimes new experiences are equally important. Lol, but I am now retired, what do I know....

We have this problem at our house. I have a temp greater, eighth grader, sixth grader, and fourth grader. Even just getting homework done in the evenings is challenging. Kids are having to shuffle the computer among each other. I really don’t think we should have to buy another computer, and I’m definitely not interested in getting each one of my kids their own computer. I hate to think about how lower income families handled this.Even just getting homework done in the evenings is challenging. Kids are having to shuffle the computer among each other. I really don’t think we should have to buy another computer, and I’m definitely not interested in getting each one of my kids their own computer. I hate to think about how lower income families handled this.

8 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Don't be so sure. Watching the Euro come in and a 1004 mb low is developing south of TX at 84 hours. 

Haven’t had a chance to watch it come in today. Apparently I have to teach 😉

Edited by Shannon

Seeing the EURO is developing a little low pressure and it carries near the gulf coast. Wonder if this trend will continue and if we can get moisture thrown up here

3 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Euro has been consistently bringing the secondary low formation further and further south. Good trends. If we can get to less of a NW to SE travel to the precip it will mean less downsloping. The question then for the Athens area would be how quickly can they change over, and does the cold get delayed coming around the mountains. I know I favor it cause it gives the NE mountains a chance at some good upslope enhancement.

• Like 4