• Forum Image

Good Monday morning to ya'!

I'm at a loss what to talk about right now. I mean, what do you say about this?
Snap346062506-18.thumb.jpg.3a920b5ed1ca046a391d37231a8dfdc0.jpg

So, let's take a look around the US and see if anyone else is having any weather to talk about. 

Snap346062507.thumb.jpg.7e435f8d8cf1468b63014dbca4c19c51.jpg

Ok... nothing to see here. 

We still have flooding in Nebraska and Iowa that is devastating. I would not be surprised if many didn't have flood insurance. 

This will truly be a terrible tragedy for all of those living in this area. 

We should be thankful for sunny skies and mild temperatures, as the weather can turn on you in a heartbeat and change your life forever.
 :classic_cool:

• Like 3

I'm kind of assuming this week will have the last frosty/freezy nights for the metro area.  Do you agree?  I'm thinking about my yard work...

2 minutes ago, Bagsmom said:

I'm kind of assuming this week will have the last frosty/freezy nights for the metro area.  Do you agree?  I'm thinking about my yard work...

The GFS and Euro are hinting at another round of cooler weather toward the end of next week, but the lows are mainly in the 40's.  It is getting tougher and tougher to get freezing temperatures, so I think you're probably safe at this point. 

My average last freeze here at my house is March 23rd and the latest is April 16th, so freezing temps are never out of the question until mid April.

I have a few resources:

SPRING GEOMAGNETIC STORMS: Cracks in Earth's magnetic field? It only sounds like science fiction. In fact, a magnetic crack opened for more than 5 hours on March 16-17. The resulting G1-class geomagnetic storm sparked stunning auroras around the Arctic Circle. "The display I witnessed knocked me off my feet!" says photographer of Göran Strand of Björkliden Sweden:

knockout_strip.jpg

"What a fantastic show," he says. "Here is a link to some realtime footage."

The storm was not predicted, yet it comes as no surprise. The vernal equinox is only days away, and at this time of year cracks often form in Earth's magnetic field. Solar wind can pour through the gaps to fuel bright displays of Arctic lights.

This is called the the "Russell-McPherron effect," named after the researchers who first explained it. The cracks are opened by the solar wind itself. South-pointing magnetic fields inside the solar wind oppose Earth's north-pointing magnetic field. The two, N vs. S, partially cancel one another, weakening our planet's magnetic defenses.

equinoxes_strip.jpg

This cancellation can happen at any time of year, but it happens with greatest effect around the equinoxes. Indeed, a 75-year study shows that March is the most geomagnetically active month of the year, followed closely by September-October–a direct result of "equinox cracks."

http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=18&month=03&year=2019