• Forum Image

Good morning !!! That ended up being a pretty nice Saturday and Sunday even if it was a little on the cool side. 🙂 You really couldn't have asked for a better Easter weekend!

I guess some of you might have noticed that this site was down for a while yesterday. Yep... I forgot to pay the bill. 😏 Kinda like if you forget to pay the electric, gas, or water bill. I'll try not to let that happen again. 🙂 

The next 3 days ought to be beautiful, with sunny skies and highs around 80 degrees. It now looks like some showers return on Thursday and more substantial rainfall on Friday. Here's the long term look from the Atlanta NWS office:

.LONG TERM /Tuesday Night through Sunday/...
The next best chances for rain look to start about Thursday
and maximize Thursday night and Friday with the approach and passage
of an upper level trough with decent overall moisture associated.
The GFS and European have been struggling with this system so
overall timing will likely get adjusted. The 2 models are inconsistent
with the exiting of the moisture and any lingering rain chances
into Saturday so that time frame will likely get adjusted with time.

The models are also inconsistent with handling the forecast of
instability but the best chances look to be on Friday with lesser
chances either side of Friday.

A weak cold front looks to move to the area come Sunday with some
shower and thunderstorm chances associated.

High temps will be running 4-6 degrees above normal today, 5-8 degrees above normal tomorrow, and Thursday like today. Before those warm temps return, we have to get past our cold lows this morning, where we are running about 2-5 degrees below normal.  I have a new page where I can share a few images from Weatherbell that has the National Digital Forecast Database (NDFD) temperature forecast as well as the high and low anomalies for the day. http://www.daculaweather.com/4_atl_today_climo.php

So all in all, a great first half of the week coming up with the rain returning later Thursday. Have a great week! 

• Like 3

This is kind of off topic, but it is fresh in my mind, so I will bring it up.  I just read an article about record high temps and ice melt in Alaska.  Areas usually frozen and used as roads are cracking and breaking off - melting away.  Some people have died in accidents involving thin ice.  Does warmth in Alaska translate in any way to different weather patterns for the US?  (Specifically next winter?) Or do those kinds of events only affect our weather in the shorter term?

11 hours ago, Bagsmom said:

This is kind of off topic, but it is fresh in my mind, so I will bring it up.  I just read an article about record high temps and ice melt in Alaska.  Areas usually frozen and used as roads are cracking and breaking off - melting away.  Some people have died in accidents involving thin ice.  Does warmth in Alaska translate in any way to different weather patterns for the US?  (Specifically next winter?) Or do those kinds of events only affect our weather in the shorter term?

Yes, it can and does in many cases. For example...

In the winter, a negative EPO (Eastern Pacific Oscillation) can bring us cold temps while Alaska stays relatively warm.

epo_neg.thumb.png.536a6066fb431c10cf8cee0b98639bc7.png

And just the opposite happens with a positive EPO

epo_pos.png.31d70ce3cc5c0d7d1a0c7981be9f9365.png

There are many other examples of patterns (teleconnections) causing specific local precip and temp changes. That's one thing we look for when trying to determine what the overall weather outlook might be. Small shifts in the combination of all of the teleconnections and ENSO add up to influence our weather.