• Forum Image
NorthGeorgiaWX

Hurricane Preparedness Week - May 5-12

Today is the start of Hurricane Preparedness Week. I know we're quite a distance from the Gulf or Atlantic Ocean, but as you've seen the last few years, it doesn't mean that we are immune to the effects of a land falling hurricane. High winds, heavy rains and even tornadoes can be generated by a strong tropical system, so it's important to have a plan in place just in case.
Each day I will have more tips about being prepared for the next big storm, so check back daily!

may5-determine-risk.thumb.png.6f2ef15d2f7a193d15e9319319cbd8e6.png

The first link I have is a page that shows the origins of tropical systems in 10 day blocks, based on historical data from the NHC. You can see from these images, where a tropical system is likely to develop for a given period of time. Here's a sample image:
http://www.daculaweather.com/4_hurricanes_origins.php
5_10_20_nhc.thumb.png.ab749f684f95e9c0c8328202b9071e76.png

Another link that I think you'll find interesting, is a page that shows the "return period" for hurricanes over different areas of the coastline as well as a count of hurricanes striking any specific area. Great data. There are lots of different images here, so I'll give you the link so you can see for yourself. 🙂
http://www.daculaweather.com/4_hurricanes.php

may6-evacuation-plan.thumb.png.e6c4504e0a727ce674b090615576909c.png

The first thing you need to do is find out if you live in a storm surge hurricane evacuation zone or if you’re in a home that would be unsafe during a hurricane. If you are, figure out where you’d go and how you’d get there if told to evacuate. You do not need to travel hundreds of miles. Identify someone, perhaps a friend or relative who doesn’t live in a zone or unsafe home, and work it out with them to use their home as your evacuation destination. Be sure to account for your pets, as most local shelters do not permit them. Put the plan in writing for you and those you care about.

may7-assemble-supplies.thumb.png.1310a18dddf052d6c0fbe8bfa6afac12.png

How many people lost power when Irma came through? I was without power for more than 48 hours, but luckily I have a generator. I am also going to be buying a solar charger for my phones which I can also use if I'm hiking or camping. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079DD4HHJ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AHE2WTMWT10JD&psc=1

may8-insurance-checkup.thumb.png.e25ff9550b88b68e04dee63b4b87b6c5.png

Call your insurance company or agent and ask for an insurance check-up to make sure you have enough homeowners insurance to repair or even replace your home. Don’t forget coverage for your car or boat. Remember, standard homeowners insurance doesn’t cover flooding. Whether you’re a homeowner or renter, you’ll need a separate policy for it, and it’s available through your company, agent or the National Flood Insurance Program at floodsmart.gov. Act now as flood insurance requires a 30-day waiting period.

FLASH Insurance Guide: If Disaster Strikes, Will You Be Covered?
Find available coverage at floodsmart.gov

Inland Flooding
Flooding from heavy rains is the second leading cause of fatalities from landfalling tropical cyclones. Widespread torrential rains associated with these storms often cause flooding hundreds of miles inland. This flooding can persist for several days after a storm has dissipated.

1260655976_inlandflooding.thumb.png.edddc5fce67d7e051836012161f12e8b.png

219593874_catastrophicflooding.thumb.png.4f6943474b98962f3e1d207b67d00638.png

_images_wrn_social_media_power_water.thumb.png.bbac1c400e0e11dd03391e57a718875a.png

• Like 1

Extreme Winds
Winds from a hurricane can destroy buildings and manufactured homes. Signs, roofing material, and other items left outside can become flying missiles during hurricanes.

_images_wrn_Infographics_extreme-wind-warning.thumb.png.4e82cf349a46ffb840272087eaf87a08.png

Storm Surge
Storm surge is the abnormal rise of water generated by a storm's winds. This hazard is historically the leading cause of hurricane related deaths in the United States. Storm surge and large battering waves can result in large loss of life and cause massive destruction along the coast.

_images_wrn_social_media_2017_storm_surge_watch_vs_warning.thumb.png.7e924c26a2422ece41d6f4c5e9920fdd.png

_images_wrn_Infographics_storm_surge_impacts.thumb.png.e0b6204e777deb1c492b4d370bc454ab.png

Tornadoes
Tornadoes can accompany landfalling tropical cyclones. These tornadoes typically occur in rain bands well away from the center of the storm.

_images_wrn_Infographics_tornado-emergency.thumb.jpg.090443c52b18cbd6c048892d7007bc38.jpg

On 5/6/2019 at 8:37 AM, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

may6-evacuation-plan.thumb.png.e6c4504e0a727ce674b090615576909c.png

The first thing you need to do is find out if you live in a storm surge hurricane evacuation zone or if you’re in a home that would be unsafe during a hurricane. If you are, figure out where you’d go and how you’d get there if told to evacuate. You do not need to travel hundreds of miles. Identify someone, perhaps a friend or relative who doesn’t live in a zone or unsafe home, and work it out with them to use their home as your evacuation destination. Be sure to account for your pets, as most local shelters do not permit them. Put the plan in writing for you and those you care about.

I thought I would add a few things here. Hurricanes are unlike tornadoes whereas they usually seen a week or more (in most cases) before its effects are felt. Most of the time you have available time to react. It may not be a hurricane when 1st tracking, but as soon as a feature is thought to be able to form forecasts are made.

Being prepared for effects is the greatest thing you can do for a hurricane.  If you live in a coastal area prone to receiving effects,staying prepared is your goal  The more you have ready the better.  Things like a generator, batteries, alternate heating sources, and food supplies, water  etc.  Keeping these handy saves expense, worry and time battling to get supplies in the frantic days before  

I am from Bay Minette Al , which is about 55 miles or less from the gulf.  At the age of 59 I can say I went through Camille Frederick Ivan and many more.  We never left but made sure we were in safe situations.   In south Al the evacuation point is I-10 in a strong storm.  Anything south has to evacuate  Bay Minette is about 25 miles north of I-10.

Here in N Ga we understand for us rainfall is the main worry from a tropical system  But if it a Cat 3-5 when it comes in if it has any size to it at all we can prepare for wind also  And of course another effect is (especially on the eastern side of a landfalling hurricane) is tornadoes. And as we mentioned before there is little advanced warning .  Usually they are moving at a fast pace, quickly forming and short lived.  But knowing where you are and the situations and effects a hurricane presents may save your life.

• Thanks 1

may9-strengthen-home.thumb.png.ee544e14fa0e8a83dee4323c0c493fcf.png

If you plan to ride out the storm in your home, make sure it is in good repair and up to local hurricane building code specifications. Many of these retrofits do not cost much or take as long to do as you may think. Have the proper plywood, steel or aluminum panels to board up the windows and doors. Remember, the garage door is the most vulnerable part of the home, so it must be able to withstand the winds.

may10-help-neighbor.thumb.png.d254be1d3cfbe72130d4498860ef9844.png

Many Americans rely on their neighbors after a disaster, but there are also many ways you can help your neighbors before a hurricane approaches. Learn about all the different actions you and your neighbors can take to prepare and recover from the hazards associated with hurricanes. Start the conversation now with these Neighbor Helping Neighbor strategies.

may11-complete-plan.thumb.png.3ab8288d9447659b0ba2d26bf87f61aa.png

The time to prepare for a hurricane is before the season begins, when you have the time and are not under pressure. If you wait until a hurricane is on your doorstep, the odds are that you will be under duress and will make the wrong decisions. Take the time now to write down your hurricane plan. Know where you will ride out the storm and get your supplies now. You don’t want to be standing in long lines when a hurricane warning is issued. Those supplies that you need will probably be sold out by the time you reach the front of the line. Being prepared, before a hurricane threatens, makes you resilient to the hurricane impacts of wind and water. It will mean the difference between your being a hurricane victim and a hurricane survivor.

Did you know?

• Over half of the water-related fatalities during the 2016-18 hurricane seasons were vehicle-related.
  • All five storm surge fatalities in Hurricane Michael last year were over the age of 60 years. Have a plan to assist the elderly and others most vulnerable.
  • Dangers exist even as the storm passes and skies clear -- downed power lines, carbon monoxide from generators, and health complications from the cleanup.
  • Category 1 hurricanes since 2010 have caused 175 direct deaths and over $100 billion in damage in the U.S. Significant impacts aren't just caused by major hurricanes.