• Forum Image

2018-2019 Winter Discussion

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Both the Euro and GFS "see" some winter precip for Friday/Saturday, but temps don't really support snow at the moment. But hey... let's roll with it. 🙂 NOT A FORECAST

I know everyone is really tired of the warm (but pretty normal) weather we've had for part of December. I do understand.  I won't talk about how this was pretty much in every forecast, because I

Have you just come here to troll or what? You keep arguing about anything actually happening, but when Steve responds with data and models, you just roll over and say you don't know what that means. U

Posted Images

Wake me up in 2 weeks.  It really looks to me like it is going to take that long for us to see anything different than what we are seeing. If you look at all the models( up to even 384 hours), it lays a good snow cover North of us which should be a preface of the cold everyone is talking about.  Just call me Rip van Ricky........😜

• Like 2
  • Educator
13 minutes ago, LoveSnow said:

Is it just me or does that not seem like the typical way the south gets snow?

It’s not. This shows cold chasing the moisture and wrap around moisture around the low pressure. Very rarely works for us. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Shannon said:

It’s not. This shows cold chasing the moisture and wrap around moisture around the low pressure. Very rarely works for us. 

In that image, it is wrap-around. If you go back several frames, you see that the low forms to our west and cuts over Georgia. If that low gets suppressed a little further... BINGO.

5 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

In that image, it is wrap-around. If you go back several frames, you see that the low forms to our west and cuts over Georgia. If that low gets suppressed a little further... BINGO.

If the pattern was right it wouldn’t cut like that right?

That’s the one thing that has bugged me thus far, and still into the long range, is the storm track is locked in right now on going through central AL & GA instead of down along gulf coast like we need. Beyond that the only thing that worries me is that once the cold really sets in is that it may be overwhelming cold. Much like early January last year when the Deep South along the coast got snow but it was sunny and in the 20’s here. Need just enough cold push to suppress the storm track a bit but not so much that it brings an arctic dome over us.

2 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

That’s the one thing that has bugged me thus far, and still into the long range, is the storm track is locked in right now on going through central AL & GA instead of down along gulf coast like we need. Beyond that the only thing that worries me is that once the cold really sets in is that it may be overwhelming cold. Much like early January last year when the Deep South along the coast got snow but it was sunny and in the 20’s here. Need just enough cold push to suppress the storm track a bit but not so much that it brings an arctic dome over us.

4 minutes ago, LoveSnow said:

If the pattern was right it wouldn’t cut like that right?

Once the trough gets established over the east, the track will be more suppressed. I'm not too worried about too far south, I worry more about too far north, and once we get cranking, I'm not worried about that. 

Just now, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Once the trough gets established over the east, the track will be more suppressed. I'm not too worried about too far south, I worry more about too far north, and once we get cranking, I'm not worried about that. 

Better get cranking soon then