Jump to content
  • Forum Image

Recommended Posts

Good morning!

Another beautiful day in store for today! 

 

Quote

Already see complex to the NW over Missouri and Illinois that seems to be some 6 hours ahead of what most hi-res guidance was indicating. This may require some adjustments to the timing of the pops this afternoon. This particular NW flow event is a little different than most this time of year in that there is little to no instability to work with over the local area. Although these systems can bring their own environment just from shear momentum, think will just be too stable for anything but a dying line of showers. That said, hi res is bullish in some instances of seeing at least some light QPF for the northern tier and will increase pops to mid range chance.

Our days without instability are short lived however and we should see a return to CAPE values in excess of 2000 J/KG for Thu afternoon across most of North GA. Boundary will still be in the area but only subtle shortwave activity noted in NW flow. Should be enough though to get scattered thunderstorms going across mainly west central portions. With cold temps aloft and a favorable downburst profile, a few strong storms will be possible for Thu afternoon.

 

So nothing too bad in the short term..., so let's look ahead.

Quote

The persistent northwesterly flow aloft will also be coming to an end on Friday as an upper level ridge begins to build over the eastern CONUS.
This ridge will then 
remain over the area through the weekend and into the early parts of next week. Its influence will allow temperatures to continue warming
to well above average for this time of the year. Highs this weekend are anticipated to be 6-10 degrees above average, in the upper 80's in north Georgia and in the low 90's in central Georgia. A deep longwave trough will move into the northern High Plains this weekend which will further amplify the ridge over the southeast. The return flow on the back side of  this high will increase moisture across the forecast area. Differential heating across the mountains could lead to some isolated convective activity across north Georgia during the afternoon hours on Saturday and Sunday. Otherwise, there do not appear to be any discernible features that would support any organized thunderstorm activity until an upper level disturbance approaches from the west on Monday. Chances for thunderstorms will increase on Sunday night into Monday ahead of this feature. However, there is still considerable model inconsistency regarding the timing and strength of this system. The latest GFS solution is running faster and wetter than the latest ECMWF, but will continue to monitor the evolution of this system in subsequent runs.

 

Meh..... summertime weather. For us there is nothing of significance to talk about right now. I could talk about the severe weather potential over the plains, but I have a feeling that most people don't care unless the severe weather is going to affect them, so I'd probably be wasting my time.  

I guess you saw the pictures of the New England snow that I posted yesterday. Today, there are a couple of Minimum High temperature records that may be set in Maine.

ndfd_record_minhi_neng_1.thumb.png.072e0ed722e4312a0797064dd9e94fe5.png

And these temps are even cold for them, these are the anomalies for today

ndfd_t2max_anom_neng_1-15.thumb.png.b577dc9627bea64c8ac6b02aea6104e3.png

 

My wife and I are taking a two week trip through the New England states starting the last couple of days of this month, so I'm anxiously watching the weather for that area of the country. They've had a rough spring up there with cold temps and late season snows, but it looks like the conditions may be getting better over the next week or two. We can only hope. 🙂 We have trips planned that will take us to Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard and a whale watch tour, so I'm wanting clear skies and calm seas! 🙂 I'll be posting an opening blog post soon and then once we start the trip, I'll be making post about each day of the trip depending on the time I have. I'll be taking LOTS of pictures and videos and I have purchased some cool new toys to help me do that, so I think you'll love seeing those. And while we have most of the trip planned out, if anyone has any great recommendations on what to see or do or the best places to eat while we are there, I'm certainly open to suggestions. 🙂 We are driving the whole way, so it will be about a 3000 mile round trip. 

I hope everyone enjoys the day! I wouldn't worry too much about the showers this afternoon, even if we get some they will be light and quickly move through. 

forecast-15.thumb.jpg.a562a4f85b8f55e6e3f6881b99660b3e.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An area of showers and thunderstorms is moving out of TN toward Alabama and Georgia. The showers are falling apart as they push southeast but a few may make it into northwest Georgia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

When I was up there in the beginning of April I saw this being built but didn't know any details about it. Certainly looks like you'll get a nice view off of it. The one on Grandfather Mountain is really cool too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: your trip through the New England states - I'm originally from NH and more than happy to offer anything at all that will assist you.

That's a looooooooooong drive and if you drive I-95 north of Baltimore - say 95 -> Delaware Memorial Bridge -> NJ Turnpike -> 87 -> 287 -> 684 -> 84 or any road that gets closer to NYC (the merritt, etc) than this loop, you may add hours (and you will add dollars - lots and lots of dollars in tolls) to your drive time.  The "mountain road" as we always called it, up 81 through VA / WV / western MD / and into PA is a much sparser drive in terms of stops and food and what-not, but you will experience very light traffic.  Also if it interests you, this route is close to some beautiful points in the sw VA mountains and some battlefield sites in western MD - Harpers Ferry is nearby, Antietam's not too far, and even Gettysburgh's not a terrible drive (bonus - you drive through Catoctin Mtn state park in MD, where Camp David secretly resides).  

If you take 95, let me know and I will provide you with recommendations for stopping in Baltimore.  It's an easy stop and there are lots of fun things you can do in an hour or two if you have good guidance.


In the New England states, you can drive right through Connecticut and not miss much.  You will probably drive through Rhode Island and not realize you missed it (unless you're looking for ferries to the islands - or you want to buy Mayor Buddy Cianci's pasta sauce).  Nantucket's pretty cool and the whaling museum is excellent.  Bonus fact: many of the fancy looking homes on Mahthas Vineyahd and Nantucket have been owned by ancient money forever via trusts, and the trust has diminished to the point where no one party has the capital to upgrade the houses guts and systems - many of those houses have glass fuses, ancient wiring, cypress wood pipes, and various other features that are a century old.  Friend of mine used to do handyman work on the Vineyard.

The Berkshires of western Mass are beautiful - spring and summer aren't their best time (autumn really is) but a lovely drive.  If you like trout fishing, there are wonderful spots this way.  

Sounds like you won't be headed near Vermont - but if you are, check out the Shellburn museum.  It's a living history museum.  The settlers' cabin they have on display was a real cabin - my great grandfather grew up in it in fact (they relocated it from East Charlotte - pronounced 'shah-LOT', as in the Tennyson poem Lady Of).  Lake Champlain is gorgeous.  Burlington's a nice town and the ski mountains all have off-season activities like hiking, gondola rides, mountain biking, golf, etc.  Lots of beautiful hiking along the AT and Long Trail here.

New Hampshire - I could write a lot here, but I have to assume you're headed up to the top of Mount Washington.  I honestly don't know when the auto road opens and I've never driven it, although I have done plenty of hiking up there.  This is the time of year when people are generally still hiking up Tuckermans to ski down... my favorite hiking route is Boot Spur Trail up and Tuckerman's Ravine trail down.  I typically don't hike there this early ... keep an eye on the weathah (do I need to have said that? probably not).  The Cog Railway also operates a steam train up and down the mountain, although I don't know its seasons and have never done that either.  Should you achieve the peak, hang out there a bit - it spends most of the time in the soup, but if you stick it out for a bit, the wind will generally create openings through the clouds of the views around you.  Its harsh and beautiful and if you love weather, its a place to spend some time.  I love it up there.  Especially when it snows in August.

North Conway is a fun town and worth a stop.

The Lakes Region is staggering and gorgeous - Winnepesaukee is the most known lake with the most public access, but there are plenty of other gorgeous, smaller lakes around.  The Moultonborough Country Store is kind of a tourist trap but they have penny candy and a lot of food products made in traditional ways.  Buy yourself some maple sugar candy and fresh maple syrup!  So good.

Meredith NH is a more upscale town, shopping center, hotel built around a former mill waterfall, etc., and its right on Winnepesaukee.  The harbor often has fun events - an ice fishing derby in the winter, for example.  A few decent restaurants here.

Believe it or not, there is a barbecue place in Center Harbor NH, between Meredith and Moultonborough, where they know what they're doing.  He sells barbecue corned beef which I didn't believe could possibly be good until I tried it.

Portsmouth NH is a fun, fun, fun little town.  In the summer they have free concerts in the park downtown, lots of fun restaurants and bars, whale watches (which are almost 99% of the time just dolphin watches - although I went once as a kid and we saw whales), and a fun scene at night.  Has that feel of a sailing town - a bit of Gloucester MA or (groan while I write this) Marblehead, too.  I grew up in the mountains and didn't spend much time near the ocean, but have spent time in Portsmouth.  Fun little city.

If you're going to Maine, try to go to either Katahdin in Baxter State Park (its at the other end of this little hiking trail that starts up the road here at Springer Mountain) or Acadia.  Acadia is one of the most gorgeous places on earth and basically defies description.  Katahdin/Baxter is one of those places where you step out of your car and are overwhelmed by the silence and total lack of human influence.

Won't really be lobster season but they will be available - lobsters are way easier to crack than blue crabs.  Twist off the legs and pick the meat out.  Twist the fins off the tail and do the same.  Now twist off the claws and the arms, then crack the claws off the arms.  Pick the meat out of the elbows first, pushing it through.  Claws second, pulling it out.  Tail is last - either crack it in your fist or put your thumbs along the bottom of the tail and press out, cracking the tail as you move down.  If the shell is too hard, substitue lobster crackers for your hands.  Push the meat out.  A proper lobstah will be served with melted butter.

Have fun, drive safe, and please please please let me know if you need any guidance at all about anywhere you're going between here and there.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW!!! Thanks! That's LOT's of great info. 

The route going up would take us through Baltimore because Maryland is one state my wife hasn't been to. The plan is to stop near Alexandria VA at the end of the first day, but Baltimore would get us closer to Philly for the next day. . Amy wants to go to Independence Hall in Philly. We stay overnight in CT before driving on the next day to West Yarmouth. We stay there 7 days (that includes Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard as well as a whale watch tour). After the 7 days is up, we head up the coast through Portsmouth and on to Bar Harbor. We spend a couple of days there before starting on the return route. I plan on driving through NH and we'll be going past Mt Washington, but I don't know if we'll have time to go up. The Cog Railway takes 3 hours. We are driving south on the Vermont NH border and planned on stopping in VT so we could say we went to that state. 🙂 The route home bypasses NYC and takes the route you're probably talking about.  Let me digest everything you wrote and see how it may fit in to our plans. 

I may have more questions for you... 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, that's a great plan!  Philly is ~ 1.5 hours from Baltimore, ~ 2.5 from Alexandria Va although DC morning traffic is horrendous.  Can definitely be worse than Atlanta's because of the rivers and bridges - rush hour starts at 5:30am so either leave before then or wait until 10am ish.  I've been to Alexandria a few times but it was years ago - the downtown on the Potomac is fun.  I was out with friends at a sports bar here once and a female competitive eater known as the Black Widow was rehearsing (practicing?  Training?) for a wing-eating competition.  She went through a 60 wing party platter in just a few minutes and had the entire place cheering and stamping for her.  Alexandria is (or was) fun.

In Baltimore, you can drive right up to Fort McHenry, and that's pretty cool.  On a clear day, if you stare east under the 695 bridge, you can see Fort Carroll, which was designed by Robert E Lee to defend Baltimore Harbor against naval invasion.  Was never used, sinks a few inches into the harbor every year, and has fallen into ruin - but has attracted thousands of rare bird species because rats cannot swim to the island so their eggs are safe.  

Fells Point has a lot of history - including the Horse You Rode In On Saloon, where Poe was drinking the nigt he died.  They claim to continue to be haunted by 'Eddy' and put two shot glasses of cognac on the bar every night for the ghost.  if they don't, the chairs are strewn everywhere in the morning.  Poe's grave is on U Maryland's Medical School campus and you can visit.  One of the years we lived there, we staked out the 'mysterious midnight visitor' who used to come to Poe's grave and leave two roses and a half bottle of cognac.  

For crabs in the city, go to either Bo Brooks or Captain James Landing (if its open - this is the outdoor patio on the water - do NOT dine in the building that is shaped like a boat).  Bo Brooks will definitely be open.  Obrycki;s used to be the best crabs in the city but they are gone now.  Best crabs out of the city is called Cantlers - it's ~ 45m away in Annapolis but if you have the time and inclination, it's true Maryland crabs. 

There's a still-standing shot tower on President St where they made shot for old guns by dropping molten metal and letting gravity do the work of shaping the shot properly while also letting the air cool it - so they would let drips of metal fall and they would land as perfectly shaped solid shot.  Little Italy has wonderful Italian food and there's a walk-in cafe (Vaccaro's) with authentic Italian coffee and Italian ice and pastries.  If you choose to park and walk around here, do NOT go north of Eastern Ave (excepting Little Italy - you're fine there) EVER.  

Finally, best pizza in the city and in the entire world is on Eastern Ave in Canton/Highlandtown, right near Patterson Park, and is called Matthews.  This is two neighborhoods over from Fells Point, Eastern Ave is ok here until ~ 9pm ish.  If you're anywhere in Baltimore at night, stay attentive to your surroundings.  

Across the street in Patterson Park is a pagoda you can climb on Sundays and see great views of the city.  The line of cannons beneath it is where the Irish and Polish immigrants of east Baltimore held the line against the invading forces of the British during the war of 1812.  Fun fact: Ross, the British General who lead the land invasion, burned the white house in DC prior to invading Baltimore and famously declared: 'tomorrow I dine in Baltimore or I dine in Hell'.  Before Ross led the British land invasion of Baltimore, the Maryland militia was going around arming citizens, and they found two apprentice leather tanners (one named McComas - forget the other) walking home.  They gave rifles to the young men and instructed them to shoot men on horseback, because men on horseback were officers.  A few minutes later, the two young men walked past the British landing site.  And lo and behold, as they watched, a man on horse came onto shore from the river.  So they loaded their rifles and shot the man on horseback - who was Ross.  These two kids cut the head off the entire British land invasion, giving the rest of Baltimore time to fortify the city's defenses while the British had to field-promote their entire chain of command, none of whom were as effective or as feared as Ross.  

For Philly - I've been here a couple of times.  Took my kids to the Franklin Institute which is spectacular, checked out the Rocky statue and Independence hall, and walked around.  There's a lot to do in this stretch of Philly.  I know nothing else about Philly except to never ever go to a sports game there wearing opposing team gear.

Note that in New Jersey, you cannot pump your own gas.  This means lines at New Jersey gas stations are stupidly long.  If at all possible, fill up in MD/PA and then don't fill up again until New York.  South and Central Jersey rest stop gas won't be too bad, but if you have to wait in north Jersey, you could be sitting in a gas line for 20 - 30m.  Be ye warned.  Sadly, NJ has the cheapest gas because they host lots of refineries.  Which you will observe from the highway.  NJ unfortunately has the best rest stops for food and convenience - New York's are few and far between and Pennsylvania roads are just a mess in general - I once saw a sign on the PA pike that read 'No shoulder, next 88 miles'.

Where in CT are you staying?  I've been to Mystic, which was great as a kid ... the sailing port museum was very cool.  New Haven and Bridgeport are not places you want to be after dark.  Never been to Foxwoods.

I know very little about coastal Mass and RI, but I have people I can ask. 

Seriously, I'll stop now, but if you have questions, fire away!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mudrun said:

Ok, that's a great plan!  Philly is ~ 1.5 hours from Baltimore, ~ 2.5 from Alexandria Va although DC morning traffic is horrendous.  Can definitely be worse than Atlanta's because of the rivers and bridges - rush hour starts at 5:30am so either leave before then or wait until 10am ish.  I've been to Alexandria a few times but it was years ago - the downtown on the Potomac is fun.  I was out with friends at a sports bar here once and a female competitive eater known as the Black Widow was rehearsing (practicing?  Training?) for a wing-eating competition.  She went through a 60 wing party platter in just a few minutes and had the entire place cheering and stamping for her.  Alexandria is (or was) fun.

In Baltimore, you can drive right up to Fort McHenry, and that's pretty cool.  On a clear day, if you stare east under the 695 bridge, you can see Fort Carroll, which was designed by Robert E Lee to defend Baltimore Harbor against naval invasion.  Was never used, sinks a few inches into the harbor every year, and has fallen into ruin - but has attracted thousands of rare bird species because rats cannot swim to the island so their eggs are safe.  

Fells Point has a lot of history - including the Horse You Rode In On Saloon, where Poe was drinking the nigt he died.  They claim to continue to be haunted by 'Eddy' and put two shot glasses of cognac on the bar every night for the ghost.  if they don't, the chairs are strewn everywhere in the morning.  Poe's grave is on U Maryland's Medical School campus and you can visit.  One of the years we lived there, we staked out the 'mysterious midnight visitor' who used to come to Poe's grave and leave two roses and a half bottle of cognac.  

For crabs in the city, go to either Bo Brooks or Captain James Landing (if its open - this is the outdoor patio on the water - do NOT dine in the building that is shaped like a boat).  Bo Brooks will definitely be open.  Obrycki;s used to be the best crabs in the city but they are gone now.  Best crabs out of the city is called Cantlers - it's ~ 45m away in Annapolis but if you have the time and inclination, it's true Maryland crabs. 

There's a still-standing shot tower on President St where they made shot for old guns by dropping molten metal and letting gravity do the work of shaping the shot properly while also letting the air cool it - so they would let drips of metal fall and they would land as perfectly shaped solid shot.  Little Italy has wonderful Italian food and there's a walk-in cafe (Vaccaro's) with authentic Italian coffee and Italian ice and pastries.  If you choose to park and walk around here, do NOT go north of Eastern Ave (excepting Little Italy - you're fine there) EVER.  

Finally, best pizza in the city and in the entire world is on Eastern Ave in Canton/Highlandtown, right near Patterson Park, and is called Matthews.  This is two neighborhoods over from Fells Point, Eastern Ave is ok here until ~ 9pm ish.  If you're anywhere in Baltimore at night, stay attentive to your surroundings.  

Across the street in Patterson Park is a pagoda you can climb on Sundays and see great views of the city.  The line of cannons beneath it is where the Irish and Polish immigrants of east Baltimore held the line against the invading forces of the British during the war of 1812.  Fun fact: Ross, the British General who lead the land invasion, burned the white house in DC prior to invading Baltimore and famously declared: 'tomorrow I dine in Baltimore or I dine in Hell'.  Before Ross led the British land invasion of Baltimore, the Maryland militia was going around arming citizens, and they found two apprentice leather tanners (one named McComas - forget the other) walking home.  They gave rifles to the young men and instructed them to shoot men on horseback, because men on horseback were officers.  A few minutes later, the two young men walked past the British landing site.  And lo and behold, as they watched, a man on horse came onto shore from the river.  So they loaded their rifles and shot the man on horseback - who was Ross.  These two kids cut the head off the entire British land invasion, giving the rest of Baltimore time to fortify the city's defenses while the British had to field-promote their entire chain of command, none of whom were as effective or as feared as Ross.  

For Philly - I've been here a couple of times.  Took my kids to the Franklin Institute which is spectacular, checked out the Rocky statue and Independence hall, and walked around.  There's a lot to do in this stretch of Philly.  I know nothing else about Philly except to never ever go to a sports game there wearing opposing team gear.

Note that in New Jersey, you cannot pump your own gas.  This means lines at New Jersey gas stations are stupidly long.  If at all possible, fill up in MD/PA and then don't fill up again until New York.  South and Central Jersey rest stop gas won't be too bad, but if you have to wait in north Jersey, you could be sitting in a gas line for 20 - 30m.  Be ye warned.  Sadly, NJ has the cheapest gas because they host lots of refineries.  Which you will observe from the highway.  NJ unfortunately has the best rest stops for food and convenience - New York's are few and far between and Pennsylvania roads are just a mess in general - I once saw a sign on the PA pike that read 'No shoulder, next 88 miles'.

Where in CT are you staying?  I've been to Mystic, which was great as a kid ... the sailing port museum was very cool.  New Haven and Bridgeport are not places you want to be after dark.  Never been to Foxwoods.

I know very little about coastal Mass and RI, but I have people I can ask. 

Seriously, I'll stop now, but if you have questions, fire away!

 

Where is a good (safe) location to stay around Baltimore? I would rather drive there than stop in Alexandria that first night. I've been through that Washington rush hour and it sucks. About 15 years ago, my son qualified for the Semi-finals of the Red Bull Drive Search (2 years in a row). The semi-final was held at the F1 Outdoors Go-Kart Track near Taunton MA. The first trip I drove non-stop... 22 hours. I don't recommend it. We passed through NYC at midnight. I remember the gigantic 50 (number unknown) lane toll booth plaza as you entered NY. That blew me away. And at the time, I had no idea they had to pump your gas in NJ (but I found out). We missed a turn and ended up in Harlem... not good. But we finally got back on track and made it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The weather pattern setup for the country is a little disconcerting .  With the ridge setting up in the East and the trough in the West, there will be  record heat for us and round after round of severe weather for the Plains and s west. 

We are talking of temps as high as 100 for parts of our state and mid nighties for us. And the severe weather is going to be a storm chasers delight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh... we are going to be sitting on top of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia NP to watch a 4:50 am sunrise. 🙂 Hope we have good weather. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RickyD said:

The weather pattern setup for the country is a little disconcerting .  With the ridge setting up in the East and the trough in the West, there will be  record heat for us and round after round of severe weather for the Plains and s west. 

We are talking of temps as high as 100 for parts of our state and mid nighties for us. And the severe weather is going to be a storm chasers delight

But nothing really out of the ordinary. We have these spells here and I'm not convinced this will carry over to the rest of summer at this point. Over the next 7 days, there are no record highs in the forecast for the southeast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

But nothing really out of the ordinary. We have these spells here and I'm not convinced this will carry over to the rest of summer at this point. Over the next 7 days, there are no record highs in the forecast for the southeast.

The weather channel has 99 for Lyons Ga about 10 days out, 95 for us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4:50am sunrise on Cadillac will be something you remember for all of your days!  I too hope you have clear weather ... trying to think of which toll plaza that would be, although truthfully, I avoid the NYC boroughs like the plague because you take the wrong turn and you're somewhere you don't want to be, like suddenly crossing a bridge to Long Island and staring at hours of traffic in the reverse direction.  People are doing 90mph six inches apart with middle fingers flying and the lanes randomly shrink and expand. I'll take the Tappan Zee around and admire a lovely view of the Hudson, thank you!

There are safe and good places to stay in Baltimore city.  I would recommend Harbor East - there is a Baltimore Waterfront Marriott, a Hilton Garden, Courtyard by Marriott, and a Hyatt Place all in Harbor East.  You could park safely at any of these and walk around at night here.  This will be south of Eastern Ave, and east of President, west of Central (the Hyatt Place is fine, just on the other side of Central).  Harbor East is east of the Inner Harbor - do NOT stay in the Inner Harbor area.  It's not unsafe, exactly, but there are roving gangs of violent teenagers that periodically commit random crimes against tourists.  Harbor East, by contrast, is fine.  Strong police presence and a private security force paid for by the upscale stores.  Fells Point is just to the east of Harbor East, and you can walk between the two at night if you use a larger, well-lit street like Aliceanna.  That's in-town.

Out of the city, you can stay south around BWI airport.  These will be standard, somewhat soulless airport hotels but perfectly safe and right off the highway.  North of the city, Towson has some decent hotels and downtown Towson has stores and some decent restaurants (admittedly I haven't there in a while...) but again, you will be safe and fine here and can do something interesting with yourself.  Towson is also right off the highway, but its 83 or 695, not 95.  So, a slight detour, but heading north out of Towson will be easy (695 east back to 95 - 695 is Baltimore's 'perimeter').

I would NOT recommend staying near Owings Mills, Randallstown, Jessup (nice view of the prison), anywhere in PG County, and anywhere east of Baltimore along the I-95 corridor - basically until you get to Delaware (I guess Aberdeen area is fine - big military presence there for testing weapons).  You will likely find hotels in these places that are $20 - $40 cheaper a night, but you are likely to experience sketchy people, shouting in the next room, car break-ins, etc.  Columbia MD will be touch and go, it has tons and tons of malls and strip malls and eateries of every variety, but you never really know what you're getting.  It was a planned community built by the actor Edward Norton's grandfather.  Been around a while and I always get lost when I go in there - unless I had an exact address, I wouldn't recommend staying here.  It's not unsafe but parts of it are 'a bit dodgy' as my Irish relatives would say.  Closer to DC, Bethesda and Gaithersburg have some nice places to stay, Rockville's a bit touch and go.  It's not sketchy, but there are sketchy parts of the Rockville Pike, if that makes sense.

If you have questions about a location, let me know.

Old school Baltimorons (term of endearment here) are very friendly and if you ask about a certain area, they will typically give you good information about where you should and should not go.  Further, it will be pretty obvious pretty quickly if you've gone somewhere you don't want to be, and if so, just turn around.  Safest way to get to Fells Point/Harbor East from 95 would be to drive past the city on 95, go through the tunnel, and take the Boston St exit.  Go west/left on Boston st, under 95, and it will take you along the waterfront through a nice neighborhood called Canton; take a left on either Aliceanna (more aesthetically true - cobblestone streets, waterfront, ancient rowhomes) or Eastern (probably a bit quicker but uglier) and continue west on either street to Harbor East through Fells Point.  Your map app may tell you something different and take you through downtown or some such thing, but I don't like the downtown exits before the tunnel for getting around unless you really know what you're doing.  It's confusing under there and moreso at traffic time.

Should you take this route, you will pass by massive mountains of rock salt north of the tunnel's exit - this is where salt is stored and deployed when I-95 in this area experiences snow and ice during the winters.

Getting to Towson from 95 is kinda silly - you either go through downtown on surface streets and then north on I-83 or up 95 to 695.  If you do downtown, you can follow the instructions above, taking Eastern Ave to President st, and then President St north - it turns into 83.  As someone who enjoys racing cars, take a moment to appreciate I-83.  Note that the north/southbound lanes have ditches and a dirt hill between them.  Its a wild, curvy road and people drive it at unbelievable speeds - periodically someone takes a turn just too quickly and rolls their car - hence the ditch and hill, which contain the rolling.  I once drove north on this road in a 2wd Honda Civic with several inches of unplowed snow and ice on the ground - not so easy!

Hope this helps - sort of dreading this incoming heat.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mudrun said:

4:50am sunrise on Cadillac will be something you remember for all of your days!  I too hope you have clear weather ... trying to think of which toll plaza that would be, although truthfully, I avoid the NYC boroughs like the plague because you take the wrong turn and you're somewhere you don't want to be, like suddenly crossing a bridge to Long Island and staring at hours of traffic in the reverse direction.  People are doing 90mph six inches apart with middle fingers flying and the lanes randomly shrink and expand. I'll take the Tappan Zee around and admire a lovely view of the Hudson, thank you!

There are safe and good places to stay in Baltimore city.  I would recommend Harbor East - there is a Baltimore Waterfront Marriott, a Hilton Garden, Courtyard by Marriott, and a Hyatt Place all in Harbor East.  You could park safely at any of these and walk around at night here.  This will be south of Eastern Ave, and east of President, west of Central (the Hyatt Place is fine, just on the other side of Central).  Harbor East is east of the Inner Harbor - do NOT stay in the Inner Harbor area.  It's not unsafe, exactly, but there are roving gangs of violent teenagers that periodically commit random crimes against tourists.  Harbor East, by contrast, is fine.  Strong police presence and a private security force paid for by the upscale stores.  Fells Point is just to the east of Harbor East, and you can walk between the two at night if you use a larger, well-lit street like Aliceanna.  That's in-town.

Out of the city, you can stay south around BWI airport.  These will be standard, somewhat soulless airport hotels but perfectly safe and right off the highway.  North of the city, Towson has some decent hotels and downtown Towson has stores and some decent restaurants (admittedly I haven't there in a while...) but again, you will be safe and fine here and can do something interesting with yourself.  Towson is also right off the highway, but its 83 or 695, not 95.  So, a slight detour, but heading north out of Towson will be easy (695 east back to 95 - 695 is Baltimore's 'perimeter').

I would NOT recommend staying near Owings Mills, Randallstown, Jessup (nice view of the prison), anywhere in PG County, and anywhere east of Baltimore along the I-95 corridor - basically until you get to Delaware (I guess Aberdeen area is fine - big military presence there for testing weapons).  You will likely find hotels in these places that are $20 - $40 cheaper a night, but you are likely to experience sketchy people, shouting in the next room, car break-ins, etc.  Columbia MD will be touch and go, it has tons and tons of malls and strip malls and eateries of every variety, but you never really know what you're getting.  It was a planned community built by the actor Edward Norton's grandfather.  Been around a while and I always get lost when I go in there - unless I had an exact address, I wouldn't recommend staying here.  It's not unsafe but parts of it are 'a bit dodgy' as my Irish relatives would say.  Closer to DC, Bethesda and Gaithersburg have some nice places to stay, Rockville's a bit touch and go.  It's not sketchy, but there are sketchy parts of the Rockville Pike, if that makes sense.

If you have questions about a location, let me know.

Old school Baltimorons (term of endearment here) are very friendly and if you ask about a certain area, they will typically give you good information about where you should and should not go.  Further, it will be pretty obvious pretty quickly if you've gone somewhere you don't want to be, and if so, just turn around.  Safest way to get to Fells Point/Harbor East from 95 would be to drive past the city on 95, go through the tunnel, and take the Boston St exit.  Go west/left on Boston st, under 95, and it will take you along the waterfront through a nice neighborhood called Canton; take a left on either Aliceanna (more aesthetically true - cobblestone streets, waterfront, ancient rowhomes) or Eastern (probably a bit quicker but uglier) and continue west on either street to Harbor East through Fells Point.  Your map app may tell you something different and take you through downtown or some such thing, but I don't like the downtown exits before the tunnel for getting around unless you really know what you're doing.  It's confusing under there and moreso at traffic time.

Should you take this route, you will pass by massive mountains of rock salt north of the tunnel's exit - this is where salt is stored and deployed when I-95 in this area experiences snow and ice during the winters.

Getting to Towson from 95 is kinda silly - you either go through downtown on surface streets and then north on I-83 or up 95 to 695.  If you do downtown, you can follow the instructions above, taking Eastern Ave to President st, and then President St north - it turns into 83.  As someone who enjoys racing cars, take a moment to appreciate I-83.  Note that the north/southbound lanes have ditches and a dirt hill between them.  Its a wild, curvy road and people drive it at unbelievable speeds - periodically someone takes a turn just too quickly and rolls their car - hence the ditch and hill, which contain the rolling.  I once drove north on this road in a 2wd Honda Civic with several inches of unplowed snow and ice on the ground - not so easy!

Hope this helps - sort of dreading this incoming heat.
 

🙂 More awesome stuff. I can't tell you how much this helps. I owe you big time! 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to help, and its really my pleasure - you have given so much of your time and resources with weather info, this site, etc. its difficult to express how appreciative I am for it.  This sort of thing is the least I can do and I really hope you have an excellent trip.

Post pics!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mudrun said:

4:50am sunrise on Cadillac will be something you remember for all of your days!  I too hope you have clear weather ... trying to think of which toll plaza that would be, although truthfully, I avoid the NYC boroughs like the plague because you take the wrong turn and you're somewhere you don't want to be, like suddenly crossing a bridge to Long Island and staring at hours of traffic in the reverse direction.  People are doing 90mph six inches apart with middle fingers flying and the lanes randomly shrink and expand. I'll take the Tappan Zee around and admire a lovely view of the Hudson, thank you!

There are safe and good places to stay in Baltimore city.  I would recommend Harbor East - there is a Baltimore Waterfront Marriott, a Hilton Garden, Courtyard by Marriott, and a Hyatt Place all in Harbor East.  You could park safely at any of these and walk around at night here.  This will be south of Eastern Ave, and east of President, west of Central (the Hyatt Place is fine, just on the other side of Central).  Harbor East is east of the Inner Harbor - do NOT stay in the Inner Harbor area.  It's not unsafe, exactly, but there are roving gangs of violent teenagers that periodically commit random crimes against tourists.  Harbor East, by contrast, is fine.  Strong police presence and a private security force paid for by the upscale stores.  Fells Point is just to the east of Harbor East, and you can walk between the two at night if you use a larger, well-lit street like Aliceanna.  That's in-town.

Out of the city, you can stay south around BWI airport.  These will be standard, somewhat soulless airport hotels but perfectly safe and right off the highway.  North of the city, Towson has some decent hotels and downtown Towson has stores and some decent restaurants (admittedly I haven't there in a while...) but again, you will be safe and fine here and can do something interesting with yourself.  Towson is also right off the highway, but its 83 or 695, not 95.  So, a slight detour, but heading north out of Towson will be easy (695 east back to 95 - 695 is Baltimore's 'perimeter').

I would NOT recommend staying near Owings Mills, Randallstown, Jessup (nice view of the prison), anywhere in PG County, and anywhere east of Baltimore along the I-95 corridor - basically until you get to Delaware (I guess Aberdeen area is fine - big military presence there for testing weapons).  You will likely find hotels in these places that are $20 - $40 cheaper a night, but you are likely to experience sketchy people, shouting in the next room, car break-ins, etc.  Columbia MD will be touch and go, it has tons and tons of malls and strip malls and eateries of every variety, but you never really know what you're getting.  It was a planned community built by the actor Edward Norton's grandfather.  Been around a while and I always get lost when I go in there - unless I had an exact address, I wouldn't recommend staying here.  It's not unsafe but parts of it are 'a bit dodgy' as my Irish relatives would say.  Closer to DC, Bethesda and Gaithersburg have some nice places to stay, Rockville's a bit touch and go.  It's not sketchy, but there are sketchy parts of the Rockville Pike, if that makes sense.

If you have questions about a location, let me know.

Old school Baltimorons (term of endearment here) are very friendly and if you ask about a certain area, they will typically give you good information about where you should and should not go.  Further, it will be pretty obvious pretty quickly if you've gone somewhere you don't want to be, and if so, just turn around.  Safest way to get to Fells Point/Harbor East from 95 would be to drive past the city on 95, go through the tunnel, and take the Boston St exit.  Go west/left on Boston st, under 95, and it will take you along the waterfront through a nice neighborhood called Canton; take a left on either Aliceanna (more aesthetically true - cobblestone streets, waterfront, ancient rowhomes) or Eastern (probably a bit quicker but uglier) and continue west on either street to Harbor East through Fells Point.  Your map app may tell you something different and take you through downtown or some such thing, but I don't like the downtown exits before the tunnel for getting around unless you really know what you're doing.  It's confusing under there and moreso at traffic time.

Should you take this route, you will pass by massive mountains of rock salt north of the tunnel's exit - this is where salt is stored and deployed when I-95 in this area experiences snow and ice during the winters.

Getting to Towson from 95 is kinda silly - you either go through downtown on surface streets and then north on I-83 or up 95 to 695.  If you do downtown, you can follow the instructions above, taking Eastern Ave to President st, and then President St north - it turns into 83.  As someone who enjoys racing cars, take a moment to appreciate I-83.  Note that the north/southbound lanes have ditches and a dirt hill between them.  Its a wild, curvy road and people drive it at unbelievable speeds - periodically someone takes a turn just too quickly and rolls their car - hence the ditch and hill, which contain the rolling.  I once drove north on this road in a 2wd Honda Civic with several inches of unplowed snow and ice on the ground - not so easy!

Hope this helps - sort of dreading this incoming heat.
 

OK... staying at the Hyatt Place. 🙂 I like being closer to Philly for the drive there the next morning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok good!  Your evening entertainment options include:

1. Little Italy!  Some wonderful authentic Italian food here.  Vaccaro's is open late, if I recall, serves excellent desserts and espresso, etc.  You can't go wrong here.  We often ate at Germano's - in general I don't go to an Italian place that charges more than $14 for a putanesca (my own personal rule - it's made entirely from stuff you'd find in an Italian larder, shouldn't be a markup) - and Germano's was always good and reasonably priced.  You can walk here from the hotel.

2. Harbor East!  The Lebanese Taverna has excellent food, even if that's not your thing, it's really good.  Most of the restaurants here are good but might be a bit pricey.  Ask at the desk for recommendations.  Also, check out the Katyn memorial fountain - it's the only Katyn memorial not in Poland.  Its nice walking around the harbor here and past all the sailboats at sunset time.  This is out your front door.

3. Fells Point!  A few blocks east - walk or Lyft, don't drive.  Keep your wits about you if you walk back and it's late.  There will be some dodgy people about but they generally shouldnt bother you.  The Fells Point Ghost Tours are kind of fun, any of the pubs are exactly what you'd expect from a hot port city (has a bit of a New Orleans feel), and there are some good restaurants, although they are again pricey (Kali's Court = excellent seafood!  And it aint cheap).  Bertha's Mussels won't be pricey and it's full of interesting stories and characters - you will get good, easy food and meet some new friends there.  The buildings and streets here are very old.  Jimmy's - if its still around - is the diner where the cops ate in The Wire and as I wrote before, Horse You Rode In ON is where Poe was drinking the night he died.

Have fun, enjoy, and don't hesitate to ask for further recommendations!  I'm a little jealous ... haven't been to Bawlmer in a while and I lived there for nine years...
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mudrun said:

Ok good!  Your evening entertainment options include:

1. Little Italy!  Some wonderful authentic Italian food here.  Vaccaro's is open late, if I recall, serves excellent desserts and espresso, etc.  You can't go wrong here.  We often ate at Germano's - in general I don't go to an Italian place that charges more than $14 for a putanesca (my own personal rule - it's made entirely from stuff you'd find in an Italian larder, shouldn't be a markup) - and Germano's was always good and reasonably priced.  You can walk here from the hotel.

2. Harbor East!  The Lebanese Taverna has excellent food, even if that's not your thing, it's really good.  Most of the restaurants here are good but might be a bit pricey.  Ask at the desk for recommendations.  Also, check out the Katyn memorial fountain - it's the only Katyn memorial not in Poland.  Its nice walking around the harbor here and past all the sailboats at sunset time.  This is out your front door.

3. Fells Point!  A few blocks east - walk or Lyft, don't drive.  Keep your wits about you if you walk back and it's late.  There will be some dodgy people about but they generally shouldnt bother you.  The Fells Point Ghost Tours are kind of fun, any of the pubs are exactly what you'd expect from a hot port city (has a bit of a New Orleans feel), and there are some good restaurants, although they are again pricey (Kali's Court = excellent seafood!  And it aint cheap).  Bertha's Mussels won't be pricey and it's full of interesting stories and characters - you will get good, easy food and meet some new friends there.  The buildings and streets here are very old.  Jimmy's - if its still around - is the diner where the cops ate in The Wire and as I wrote before, Horse You Rode In ON is where Poe was drinking the night he died.

Have fun, enjoy, and don't hesitate to ask for further recommendations!  I'm a little jealous ... haven't been to Bawlmer in a while and I lived there for nine years...
 

After driving for 10 hours, I'll be ready for dinner and bed. 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 10:48 PM, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

Got tickets tonight to ride the Cog Railway to the top of Mt. Washington on Monday the 10th. 🙂 

https://www.thecog.com/

NICE!  Enjoy!  The top has a place to get lunch, some little exhibits, a store, and of course, the platforms and viewing.  You can walk around a little bit up there.  If you have the time and proper shoes, hiking down the shoulder to the Lake of the Clouds is kinda fun - it's more of a scramble over a rockpile tossed around by giants, so assess the conditions and your own skill and so forth before you do it.  The wind on the shoulders can be more vicious actually than the wind on the top, although maybe that's just me feeling it that way because the hiking there is tricky and I'm typically exhausted when I'm picking my way along the ridge.

One of the highlights of any trip up the Mount is the exact moment when you get above treeline - everything changes.  Fast!  Temp drops, wind howls, plants are tiny and cling to rocks, etc.  Really exciting. 

I have two books from the store up there - one is a 'life at the top' book written by meteorologists.  It contains their cookbook.  The other is a book my parents got me when I started doing a lot of hiking/running up there, and it includes the details of every person who has ever died (and there are a lot of them) on the mountain, including many stories of their attempted rescues.  It was published ten years ago and my parents have since dutifully reported every article about every death since (it's an old school country New England thing, to have a strange obsession that is equal parts death and humility before the universe - you can't blame us too much, descended from deeply stoic people who were willing to live in a place where you might be stuck in a cabin with a few pounds of beans and a wood stove while six months' worth of storms howl around you and pile snow up to the tops of the windows). 

I mention this because a staggering amount of the deaths are from unpreparedness for the weather - three weather systems converge up there, paved roads go all the way to the top (unlike many places in the south, where people had the good sense to leave the last few miles of roads unpaved or run them through creeks, and so on), and people think 'oh its the east, no big deal' so just as three weather systems converge, three factors converge that make it accessible and deadly.  The Mount will kill you if you don't know what you're doing, if you plan an agenda larger than you can handle, or if you plain spend too much time up there without getting down below treeline - it snows in July and August, when the temps in North Conway are in the low 80s.  Winds in the winter are often over 100mph on the ridgelines, etc.  

As a person who loves weather, I hope you have an excellent experience.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been following the weather on Mt Washington for years and years and this has been on my bucket list for a long time. Can't tell you how excited I am to finally go there. This year is the 150 Anniversary of the Cog Railway. 

Not bad for temps right now but winds are still pretty breezy up there...

Snap35-20.thumb.jpg.65b7d187604c54006716e8c9cd0f4b7b.jpg

And not much of a view

observationdeck-med.jpg.a50385c4a7ad2a27a0dce62ec8cbb9dd.jpg

 

View from Bretton Woods

presidentials-med.jpg.f773da5fb940752bf36e2c7e84203c7b.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's downright balmy for up there - very surprised.  That's not much snow cover, either; May is one of the biggest months to ski Tucks.  Interesting.

The views on the way up may be better than the view from the top - once you get up onto the shoulders, you're in the soup.  That said, I've been up there several times and have never had a totally obscured view: if you wait a bit, the wind will often part the clouds and give you a window.  A short window, but a window nonetheless.  

Mount Mitchell in NC is taller by something like sixty feet - I've always wanted to hike up there for that reason.  I think Clingman's Dome is taller by twenty feet or something - been to GSMNP but never to the top of Clingmans.

Will be nice to take a break and let someone else do the driving for a bit, too ... we did a road trip to CO last summer and after 2.5 weeks driving I was ready to not drive.  Ever again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online



  • DaculaWeather Twitter Feeds

×
×
  • Create New...