• Forum Image

End of January Winter Weather Possibilities

9 minutes ago, NorthGeorgiaWX said:

I'm seeing more convective development on this run.

Old 51 hour run

nam_ref_east_20-26.thumb.png.5cf9585146169dd623ec7dd6feca8a06.png

Current 51 hour run

nam_ref_east_18-26.thumb.png.7daec7cb62e8f689fb009b681fc8ad6e.png

Would be nice to see some convective banding snowfall. I think any increase in moisture is a good thing, cause for most of us moisture will be our limiting factor. So the wetter the better. As long as it keeps a mostly positive tilt we won't have to worry about convection robbing moisture, neutral to negative and it's a potential problem. 

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ll take #12 for $500, Bob.

@RickyD

Oh behalf of all us snow lovers that might get left out this time, I found this beauty at 324hours on the GFS... lol I think we all need some eye candy at this point while we hold out to see what happ

Posted Images

Rates and ratios could make this a heck of an event for NW GA and the western mountain counties. I remain skeptical for over here where I am, downsloping will likely be a killer. Will be right on the line of nothing and an inch or two I think. NAM is not cooling things down fast enough, moisture is being shown gone before it gets below freezing over here. My only hope is that heavy enough rates will allow for some top down cooling.

Steve, it looks to me like the banding is very clearly running in a SW to NE direction which would indicate potential for upslope in the NE as well. So what wins out, the banding running SW to NE or the front diving NW to SE? One suggests upslope, and the other downsloping so I'm unsure. I'm trying so hard to try and find a way to be more confident in measurable snows for the eastern third of the state lolnam3km_asnow_seus_61.thumb.png.05095b918f8971d5e77ff648d42413a4.png

• Like 2
  • Educator
1 minute ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Steve, it looks to me like the banding is very clearly running in a SW to NE direction which would indicate potential for upslope in the NE as well. So what wins out, the banding running SW to NE or the front diving NW to SE? One suggests upslope, and the other downsloping so I'm unsure. I'm trying so hard to try and find a way to be more confident in measurable snows for the eastern third of the state lolnam3km_asnow_seus_61.thumb.png.05095b918f8971d5e77ff648d42413a4.png

I see your arguement as well. Upslope could help the whole state because of the topography that our state offers from SW to NE. This is a tough one. Remind me.. is this similar to a event we had last January?

1 minute ago, Shannon said:

I see your arguement as well. Upslope could help the whole state because of the topography that our state offers from SW to NE. This is a tough one. Remind me.. is this similar to a event we had last January?

I've been trying to think back on that light event from last year as well but can't remember much about it.

• Educator
5 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

I've been trying to think back on that light event from last year as well but can't remember much about it.

Me too. However I remember getting more than predicted haha 

14 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

I can remember that storm bc it was the only snow we got last year. We picked up an inch since it was very cold with not much moisture to work with. Added screenshot that I had saved. 😂

e408a84d-4f7a-4a2a-8885-1d8ed1c8b3fe.jpg

Screenshot_Facebook_20180117-083247.jpg

Edited by Athens
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Athens said:

I can remember that storm bc it was the only snow we got last year. We picked up an inch since it was very cold with not much moisture to work with. 

e408a84d-4f7a-4a2a-8885-1d8ed1c8b3fe.jpg

Yeah I know it was a very moisture starved system. I wish NWS Atlanta had done a write up on this on. It was definitely a frontal system but I believe it was weaker than the one coming up. This was the surface map for that day. Archived Surface Analysis

Am looking at the archived radar right now and precip was very sparse over N GA, so antecedent conditions were likely very dry.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

Yeah I know it was a very moisture starved system. I wish NWS Atlanta had done a write up on this on. It was definitely a frontal system but I believe it was weaker than the one coming up. This was the surface map for that day. Archived Surface Analysis

Am looking at the archived radar right now and precip was very sparse over N GA, so antecedent conditions were likely very dry.

Birmingham did one. So this system is looking to have a bit more potential?

https://www.weather.gov/bmx/winter_01162018