• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ll take #12 for $500, Bob.

@RickyD

Oh behalf of all us snow lovers that might get left out this time, I found this beauty at 324hours on the GFS... lol I think we all need some eye candy at this point while we hold out to see what happ

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Foots said:

Those of you who know the weather... Is there a local TV meteorologist that you trust more than others?  Just curious because I'm seeing such conflicting information the last few days from some of them.

For the most part you aren't going to get a whole lot of differences between them due to the reasons Steve mentioned. If I watch the Atlanta news stations I tend to watch 2 and 5 more than the others. Personally I prefer to watch John Cessarich and Chris Justus from channel 4 in Greenville because I live along the SC border. They are very transparent and do multiple in depth facebook live videos a day during big weather events. 

• Like 1

NWS Birmingham

The main forecast changes in our winter system time frame will be
that of an earlier arrival of precipitation. The 00z Euro threw a
monkey wrench into the mix by coming in with considerably less
moisture. The consensus was that this was in error/underdone. Kept

with the more consistently moist GFS. The GFS also brings in the
precipitation sooner with our hires models now coming in agreeing
with a quicker onset. For the most part, otherwise, our forecast
is similar as rain changes over to snow as the column becomes
saturated and quickly cools with very little if any warm nose
aloft in the soundings. So, as the rain changes over, there should
be little if any sleet (or quick) between rain to snow. Or we
could still have a rain/snow mix initially due to shallow warmer
temperatures right near the surface.

44 minutes ago, Foots said:

Those of you who know the weather... Is there a local TV meteorologist that you trust more than others?  Just curious because I'm seeing such conflicting information the last few days from some of them.

I look at everybody and watch everybody but I get my information for what I do or don't do here from Steve

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've been trying to keep up with this thread and doing a billion things around the house so I apologize if this has already been addressed. I live in Marietta (Sandy Plains area) so with the timing being sooner than expected could this be around 8-9 AM outset or later?

Nws has graphic you posted that says the heavy snow might shift further south as it approaches from Alabama making totals higher in west ga and ATLANTA metro. Why is that? See graphic below

Edited by Jamesw
  • Like 1
  • Educator
2 minutes ago, Jamesw said:

Nws has graphic you posted that says the heavy snow might shift further south as it approaches from Alabama making totals higher in west ga and ATLANTA metro. Why is that? See graphic below

Some models have been showing a heavier band coming up through there. If it does occur it isn’t out of the realm of possibilities to see a swath of 2-3 inches through there. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Shannon said:

Some models have been showing a heavier band coming up through there. If it does occur it isn’t out of the realm of possibilities to see a swath of 2-3 inches through there. 

Awesome. I’m in midtown!

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Selena said:

I’m confused why some say 1-2” for Habersham but we are not under the watch..... also maps show we are at freezing temps early but again not under a watch.... 🤷🏻‍♀️

Anyone saying 1-2 for there is simply using their own intuition outside of the NWS or model guidance. Based on the NWS forecast the watch is barely warranted even for me in Rabun County. It’s certainly not impossible, but with where we are right now it’d be a surprise.

39 minutes ago, Melissa said:

I look at everybody and watch everybody but I get my information for what I do or don't do here from Steve

You are awesome! Thank you!

26 minutes ago, Brooke said:

I've been trying to keep up with this thread and doing a billion things around the house so I apologize if this has already been addressed. I live in Marietta (Sandy Plains area) so with the timing being sooner than expected could this be around 8-9 AM outset or later?

May start 8-9 am for you. 

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

Anyone have insight as to why Firsthand is being so generous with amounts? While they say that most areas in the 2"-4" zone will receive around 3", they did not provide any explanation for their reasoning in the post they made on FB.

Link to Article

Firsthand.png

Good question. 

17 minutes ago, Jamesw said:

Heavier rates of precipitation.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Selena said:

I’m confused why some say 1-2” for Habersham but we are not under the watch..... also maps show we are at freezing temps early but again not under a watch.... 🤷🏻‍♀️

Anyone saying 1-2 for there is simply using their own intuition outside of the NWS or model guidance. Based on the NWS forecast the watch is barely warranted even for me in Rabun County. It’s certainly not impossible, but with where we are right now it’d be a surprise.

• Members

I wonder when the temps are supposed to drop?  The winter storm watch is for Monday night into Tuesday and I've heard that precipitation should start Tuesday morning, if not before.  But some of the temperature stuff I'm seeing is showing 34 and 35 until much later Tuesday afternoon.  Is there something in the works indicating that the temps may drop sooner?  (I'm just NW of Metro Atlanta.)

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Bagsmom said:

I wonder when the temps are supposed to drop?  The winter storm watch is for Monday night into Tuesday and I've heard that precipitation should start Tuesday morning, if not before.  But some of the temperature stuff I'm seeing is showing 34 and 35 until much later Tuesday afternoon.  Is there something in the works indicating that the temps may drop sooner?  (I'm just NW of Metro Atlanta.)

Snap346062371.thumb.jpg.8e08b6d63e5bf82b8c9a588a1404366a.jpg