• Forum Image

End of January Winter Weather Possibilities

22 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

NWS has procedures for upgrading Watches, and one of those is time until impacts begin. If you’ll notice that the watches just to my north in NC have already been upgraded but mine has not. We are served by the same forecast area, yet their impacts are expected to begin earlier, so they got upgraded with the 3am forecast package. Atlanta WFO will be upgrading by this afternoon. This was always going to be a light event, so nothing has changed. Yeah it’s going to go above normal for at least a week or so. I for one am fine with moving into a different sub-pattern because the one we’ve been in, while cold, hasn’t done anything for us. Remember cold periods do not guarantee snow, and warm periods don’t guarantee you can’t get it. 

Yesterday we were a winter storm warning, today it is a watch.....

• Like 1
  • Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ll take #12 for $500, Bob.

@RickyD

Oh behalf of all us snow lovers that might get left out this time, I found this beauty at 324hours on the GFS... lol I think we all need some eye candy at this point while we hold out to see what happ

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, kshields8426 said:

Yesterday we were a winter storm warning, today it is a watch.....

That’s definitely not true...

Directly from the NWS:

Most of the Winter Storm Watch was upgraded to either a Warning
or Advisory with this issuance, because the impact will begin
across the NC mountains before daybreak Tuesday, that is to say,
less than 24 hours from now. The meteorological reasoning will
be discussed in the next section.  The exception was Rabun County
GA, where the Watch was left intact, after coordination with the
Peachtree City NWS office.  Thought it to be less confusing for
the Georgia partners to keep the winter product consistent across
the whole state.  We will revisit this later today.

This event isn’t likely to be much for us, but higher elevations should see an inch or  two with the rest of us probably a half inch or so.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, KingOfTheMountains said:

That’s definitely not true...

Directly from the NWS:

Most of the Winter Storm Watch was upgraded to either a Warning
or Advisory with this issuance, because the impact will begin
across the NC mountains before daybreak Tuesday, that is to say,
less than 24 hours from now. The meteorological reasoning will
be discussed in the next section.  The exception was Rabun County
GA, where the Watch was left intact, after coordination with the
Peachtree City NWS office.  Thought it to be less confusing for
the Georgia partners to keep the winter product consistent across
the whole state.  We will revisit this later today.

This event isn’t likely to be much for us, but higher elevations should see an inch or  two with the rest of us probably a half inch or so.

We got a warning yesterday afternoon. We were included in it in Rabun. They then adjusted. I will trust my NWS source.

• Like 1

Steve this is off topic but I have had to change my password twice since I got into work because if I log out it will not let me log in with the password I was using.  I am not sure what is going on but I know that I have been entering the right one and I have been mindful of the cap locks.  Thanks

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

Steve this is off topic but I have had to change my password twice since I got into work because if I log out it will not let me log in with the password I was using.  I am not sure what is going on but I know that I have been entering the right one and I have been mindful of the cap locks.  Thanks

Not sure what might be causing that except maybe a cache issue. What browser are you using?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Members

Marietta City Schools are closed too.  I'm still really surprised at the very divergent expectations from different sources.  I'm sure it is a matter of being incredibly cautious - which I appreciate!  But Kirk Mellish made it sound like a non-issue.  That surprises me.  What is he seeing that others aren't?  Or vice versa?  Maybe everyone is just saying no to any chance of a repeat of 2014.  

2 minutes ago, Bagsmom said:

Marietta City Schools are closed too.  I'm still really surprised at the very divergent expectations from different sources.  I'm sure it is a matter of being incredibly cautious - which I appreciate!  But Kirk Mellish made it sound like a non-issue.  That surprises me.  What is he seeing that others aren't?  Or vice versa?  Maybe everyone is just saying no to any chance of a repeat of 2014.  

I think its the various forecasts that have schools worried. Nobody seems to be on the same page. The uncertainty is probably what is pushing the schools to cancel. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Bagsmom said:

Divergence in Models is all i can guess